State of the Forum

As many of you know it was down today due to bandwidth issues which of course caused me to upgrade the hosting to the next level. I thought we were at basic, turns out were were already above that so this means we are currently using more bandwidth to run the forum then is used on the main site monthly.

For those curious tech's amoung us our total bandwidth usage limit is now 25 gigabites a month where it was 20 in usage.

Along with the upgrade there will also soon be an Interactive Gallery for the "I donated in 2004" Group as a way of showing appreciation for helping here and on the site with your donations. You will enter and use the Gallery with the same user/password you currently have here on the forum.

Regular forum members will be allowed to view but not upload since of course as anything it requires not only extra hosting but also a monthly maintainence fee which is paid through the donations collected.

Along with the upgrade there will also soon be an Interactive Gallery for the "I donated in 2004" Group as a way of showing appreciation for helping here and on the site with your donations. You will enter and use the Gallery with the same user/password you currently have here on the forum.

Regular forum members will be allowed to view but not upload since of course as anything it requires not only extra hosting but also a monthly maintainence fee which is paid through the donations collected.

You mean like the Advanced Support Section? How will it differ from that?

Brian, not sure if this makes a difference on anything, but my badge says I donated in 2003, but it was just a few months ago. Thanks,

Devon

yea, same here

Just to clarify, what uses up bandwidth, exactly; i.e. what can the failure be attributed to?

Yes, if we all knew, we could stop a bit, or slow it down

Curtis

Just to clarify, what uses up bandwidth, exactly; i.e. what can the failure be attributed to?

Yes, if we all knew, we could stop a bit, or slow it down

Curtis

We'd have to stop coming to Project Guitar Forum to do that. :D It has to do with page loading, or something, not quite sure, but basically the more people viewing your website, the more bandwidth gets used up.

Bandwidth refers to the amount of data transfered from a server, usually it marks a limit of how much data can be transmitted from a server in a month. If 10 people visit a page that is 100kb in size, then you have used 1,000kb of your bandwidth. A "Broad-Band" connection is a connection with high-bandwidth, meaning it can transfer lots of information quickly, versus a low-bandwidth dial up connection :D

The only way to lessen bandwidth usage is to A) Have fewer visitors to the site ( B) ) or :D have smaller pages with fewer graphics.

Note: As far as I know, haveing pictures linked to other websites does not affect your bandwidth. All the messages on the boards that have pictures that are links to other 'gallery' websites do not impact the bandwidth usage here.

what did i ever donate? :D

Either something for the download section or a tutorial according to my notes.

As for you other two sorry about that your badges have been changed, I know there are at least 2 others with the same problem, just waiting for the correct ID's to pop up and tell me thier e-mail address so I can match them.

And yes Bandwidth is the amount of information pulled from a server which is just one of many reasons the forum is going through changes such as eliminating the rant section which was worthless as far as education or learning and also turning up the flood control for awhile to help curb the BS threads (worthless threads) from getting out of hand and into the 25 page size in a matter of days eating up bandwidth which could be used to learn or share something we all came here for to begin with.

hosting avatars on outsides sites might help. ???

the upload of avatars is automaticaly built into the forum's code, so it'd need a quick hack I think... personally I wouldnt mind hosting my own avatar... I got my own web-site and its bandwidth is going like 14Gb spare a month at the mo... lol

So...just asking - couldn't find it on the page at the main site...

once you've donated, is that a "lifetime membership" kind of thing, or do you need to donate every year to get access to the "advanced supporter stuff"?

And it's over US$10 to get access to all that isn't it?

do the new I donated in 200X badges replace the advanced supporter ones?

Do the old rules apply, eg, over 2000 posts of GOTM winner???

Thank you!

Appreciate your effort in keeping this forum running Brian (and the other admin/mods)