The Nebula

The Nebula (I entered this in GOTM):

This is technically my first guitar (I built another one to test a pickup concept). I am 14. The only help my dad gave me was making one cut with a table saw (we ended up blowing out a fuse because of the load), and planing down one board (on our jointer :D ).

body1s.jpg

Click Here For More Pictures/Info

Technical Info:

Body:

* Chambered 5/8" Quilted Maple Top (with embedded pickup)

* Chambered 5/8" Lacewood Back

* Total Body Width is 1 1/8" (VERY THIN!)

* Neck Thru Construction (Maple Neck)

* Soloist Style Neck Joint

* Weights 4.75 Pounds (VERY LIGHT!)

Neck (bought from Carvin):

* 24 Fret

* 25" Scale

* Ebony Fingerboard

* Maple Neck

* Two Graphite Reinforcement Bars

* Two Way Truss Rod

* 11 Degree Headstock Angle (non scarf-joint)

* 1.71" Width At 1st Fret

* Side Fret Markers (but no front fret-markers)

* Graphite Nut

* Thin profile

Headstock:

* Carvin Premium Tuners (soon to be replaced with Steinberger Gearless Tuners)

* Removable Quilted Maple Veneer (covers up truss rod)

Electronics:

* Embedded Bill Lawrence L-500XL (in bridge position)

* Push Pull 500k Volume/Tone (0.050 microfarad) Knob

* Carvin Premium Side-Mount Output Jack

Hardware

* Tusq Acoustic Saddle

* String-Thru Construction

* Embedded Jim Dunlop Strap Locks

Notes:

This guitar's pickup is embedded about 1/4" away from the strings. The hot pickup yields a sharp attack with full range and singing sustain. The chambered body makes for a clear acoustic-like tone while on the clean channel. Think Jimmy Page style sound, but with lots of distortion, a very crisp metal tone. The guitar is very light and thin, making it easy to play. The action is very low, as well as the intonation, but it is hard to adjust, as the saddle has no movement. The single knob is a volume knob in the down position, and a flexible tone knob in the up position. The volume knob doesn't bleed treble, but the tone knob is very useful in rolling off the searing metal tone and attack of the pickup.

Rock On,

Ryan

Edited by mushy the shroom

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The strings are a little over an 1/8th inch from the body. On my 3 pickup Les paul, I have them closer than that, so I've had to adjust my playing style as a result. I can't dip the pick as low, but I've gotten used to it, and it really doesn't make a difference. In practicality, the pickup and pot are sealed, but I could always cut out the pocket from the back and screw it back in later if I need access. But there's no reason to.

That is very cool! I love the look of it, very nice. just one thing, the g string looks abit wonky? I sure hope that it doesn't affect the playablity.

Thant guitar is great! it is really beautiful - and i love the clean look.

I was thinking of doing something similar RE the hidden pickup, but I couldn't figure out how i was going to do it so i could get to the pickup - but you've answered that!

don't worry about getting to the pickup..DUH! how stupid am I!

Very inspiring!

thanks very much!

great to "younger people" doing such great work! congrats! hope there's heaps more in the pipeline!

:DB)

Beautiful work - the design and execution are all very impressive, especially for a first timer and somebody so young. That's also some lovely wood - the maple and lacewood both look fantastic.

I can't wait too see what your next is like - it should knock our socks off!

Another part of me says "Its simplicity is its beauty."

Dude, you hit it RIGHT on the head! That's exactly what I made this guitar for. Elegance in simplicity. I built it to showcase the Maple top, and I think I achieved it.

just one thing, the g string looks abit wonky?

Yeah, it is a little off, but that's because there are no grooves in the saddle. So whenever I bend, it slides a little up. I don't mind it much, but I probably should put some grooves in. I can't even tell when I play.

As for more, I'm thinking of making a one piece lacewood half (including the neck), and a one piece maple half that includes the fingerboard. But that would be so expensive, and I don't have all the tools to build the neck. I'm satisfied with this one, so it may be my first and last because I'm kinda short on money (this one cost $500 to build). I still need to mod out my Steinberger!

That is:

1) A really beautiful instrument

2) A very well thought-out and concise design

3) A Very well executed and clean build

4) A Very original and conceptually cool idea

You get B) to the 10th power from everyone here at the Castle.

Of course, we're all dead here at Castle Drak, but the dead can dance too. :D

i kinda have mixed thoughts on that.

one part of me says that's sweet. an embedded pickup is cool as hell...and only the saddle for the bridge, pretty smart. but another part of em tells me it's too simple. it's just too....bleak. looks like a piece of wood with some strings...doens't really look like a guitar.

i'm sure the worksmanship is good on it, and i bet it plays nice, but...if i saw it in a store...no offense, but i'd walk by...

Maybe this was answered and I missed it, but how do you get access to the pickups? I would love to try this idea on my explorer... it would be so crazy! A emg loaded weapon of pure metal destruction that looks like it had no pickups :D

ps: wonderful guitar, that exact guitar isnt my cup of tea, but thats not to say I dont admire the work you've done. inspirational!

American Jesus- That's ok. I just prefer simplicity. When my friends hand me a guitar with 43 knobs, and are like "Dude, this is so awesome", it makes me think if I should be playing guitar, or just twisting the knobs. If that made any sense, thanks for voicing your opinion.

Jivin- The pickup is completely sealed inside, but if I desperatly needed to, I could access it by cutting some wood, and screwing the section back on. One thing you're going to have to consider if you're thinking of using this design, is the pickup's distance from the strings. Most pickups are around 1/8" from the strings, and on mine, they're about 1/4". The strings are about 1/8" from the wood, and the pickup is about 3/32" down into the wood.

I first played The Nebula today in the band, and the sound absolutely CUTS through the mix. The lead tone is incredible, and I thought the rhythm guitar chords were lacking until I tried some Iron Maiden, and it completely blew me away! I love this thing!

I was just thinking. Embedded pickups aren't such a bad idea, anyway. Look at the Yamaha Billy Sheehan bass or Uli Jon Roth's Sky guitar. Honestly, I don't know why people think that the pickup needs to be 1/8 of an inch from the strings. The L-500XL is a hot enough pickup that it doesn't need to be so close. I'm sure that most pickups don't need to be, either.

Besides, the way I see it, the chances of the pickup going bad are reduced by having it sealed away from sweaty hands, spilled beer, and picks. With the quality of a boutique pickup like a Lawrence, it'll probably last the life of the whole guitar.