Need Help Picking A Half-stack

Pex657

I am planning to purchase a new half-stack this coming up weekend. I have found three that are in my price range. I was wondering if any one knew anything about these or which one I should buy. The music I usually play is close to Tool, System Of A Down, Rammstein, Rage..

Thanks,

Pex657

1.)GT1200H/G412SL Half-Stack Package

2.)

TB100H Tone Blaster Half Stack Package

3.)

4x12" 100W 1/2 Stack with Digital FX

of the three you posted, i've gotta say the ibanez, but the crate is a close second. i've played through the ibanez stack before, and my own style is a little bit punkier than what you listed. i usually play lead when i'm playing guitar.

i will admit, that stack does sound a bit...digital? but as a personal preference, i really don't mind it and it gives me enough control to be able to get a rather decent tone out of it. if you look at the "Show Us Your CD" topic, the band i posted (Leash & Scoop), both guitar players used one of those half stacks for recording.

as for the crate, it's always seemed to have a thinner, but slightly more, i dunno...toneful? presenceish? sound to it. it give you a bit more dynamic picking control, and it adapts well to your guitar's tone. whether you're playing a strat, LP, or SG, doesn't matter, you can probably get something close yo what you're looking for out of it.

if you're talking pure "bang-for-the-buck" status, i will suggest the Ibanez winning by about 70%-30% over the crate, if not a wee bit closer...

Thier all pretty awful.. Seriously man id save your money, in the end you'll be MUCH happier

for $650 you can Probably get a Crate Blue Voodoo head and a Peavey MS412 cab

and for a little more a Peavey 5150 head.

If you really want a solid state amp theirs MUCH better.

Thier all pretty awful.. Seriously man id save your money, in the end you'll be MUCH happier

for $650 you can Probably get a Crate Blue Voodoo head and a Peavey MS412 cab

and for a little more a Peavey 5150 head.

If you really want a solid state amp theirs MUCH better.

How right!!!! Forget about these amps. For a similar price you will get a used 5150 head + cab ir another used half stack which can make you happy for your whole live instead of buying one of these 3 amps which I bet you will hate in about 1 year if you are a somewhat serious player.

the crate blue voodoo is a great head for the price.but let's not forget this guy is a begginer,for whom the 3 amps listed are a natural progression into better amps in the future...

but hey...look at the behringer ultrastack cabs...they sound pretty damn good and are only around $200 last time i checked..and are rated for 400 watts...and have jensen speakers

then just pair it with a randall plain jane 100 watt head like this one and you are ready to blow the doors off your house

a friend of mine uses this head for gigging...he gets a pretty good metal sound out of it...

i tell you one thing though...you certainly can't judge by the reviews...one guy said "you can't tell the difference between the mg and the jcm 2000"

i had the mg 100 in the past(when it was called the grcd or something like that) and it was decent,but nowhere near a jcm

i still at this moment have an mg250dfx i keep in the bedroom for playing while i am going to sleep...and the tone is horrible...i have to keep the reverb way up to make the lead sound reasonable,and the rythm is damn near unuseable to my ears...but that is what i have the mode 4 for

but keep in mind most amps in that price range are not great right out of the box...my gcd i used a distortion pedal and a rackmount eq to get good sounds out of...even my mode 4 is pretty weak in the gain department...i use a boss metal zone through the clean amp

i think soon i will check out a jcm800...i saw one at my local store that was no frills..just add pedals and go

ive got a marshall similar to that head, just without the dfx. its a crunch machine but it depends on what youre going for in your sound, if you want the high quality, marshalls your maker, if you want it to play louder the crate is your choice. the ibanez.... is...yea....its an iffy half stack

the marshall name does not gaurantee quality in any way these days...those low end models are not made in the same factory or even country as the high end ones are

and the crate is only minimally louder..only 20 watts more power...not even noticeable and i have never known anyone to completely crank a 100 watt amp without a power brake to bring the volume down

lol, youve got a point, but my marshall is a crunch machine, given that its not the same model. and the crate is probably a better bet, considering the marshall is a low end model, but as i said, its your choice and preference

I am always amazed at your fast replies.

cab is rated for anything you want to put on it

I don't fully understand what that means?

it is rated for 400 watts at 16 ohms

i am on a fast connection and on a sunday when i have no parts to work on guitars i surf alot

yea, that cab'll handle a LOT of power, that mix is nice too.

but whats your price range?? maybe we'll be able to help a little bit more then

i tell you one thing though...you certainly can't judge by the reviews...one guy said "you can't tell the difference between the mg and the jcm 2000"

i had the mg 100 in the past(when it was called the grcd or something like that) and it was decent,but nowhere near a jcm

true.... and dido, i just got rid of my mg100RCD

my price range for everything is $500-600.

off to ebay you go!

Seriously, i snagged a peavey ms412 for 130$ and an old carvin head (w/built in EQ) for 330$ shipped along with a boss sd-1 for 35$... so so powerfull and a wide tonal range.

I would also highly recommend you go with a tube amp... just a bigger more powerfull sound from them.

well, watts to ohms is only a problem if youre doing a high watt amp, if youre going small like 100 or 120, 4 or 8 ohms'll do it, if you have to go any higher than that, your prolly gonna EDIT!!!!!! up whatever youre using anyways

this is the third time in 3 days i have warned you about your language!more warning than you need.i am going to reccomend a vacation for you

might wanna check your language there...

i'd say edit before a mod gets here (quick, hide! the boss is coming).

Dude, if you want an amp get a combo. Those solid state half stacks are for kids who want to feel bad, but all you're getting is a combo that takes up too much room, is harder to move. Just save up a little more, and get a second hand tube half stack. You won't feel like an idiot down the road, like if you were to get that....