This Isn't A Joke..

I completely agree with the comments concerning the effort/time needed in sanding. I just wanted to point out the reason behind it so you can understand the goal - any scratch left from a saw or rougher grit sandpaper will show up dramatically when finishing (staining/painting/clearing). If you want a professional looking guitar, you cannot have any of these scratches left before finishing - they will get magnified like you wouldn't believe!

I wipe naptha (wrong spelling I'm sure) on to get a preview of what it will look like when a finish is applied. It won't show scratches quite as well as a stain will but I think it's better than nothing. I don't think I'm the only one who does this. I also use a magnifying glass over any areas that I'm not sure of.

One last sanding tip - if you use a sanding drum on a drill or drilll press - the coarse grits will leave deep scratches in the wood. Try to find fine grit drums or you'll be sanding by hand for many hours getting those scratches out (especially around the cutaways and horns). Of course, I use hard maple a lot so that makes it more difficult.

I can't tell you how awful it feels to finally put stain/dye on the wood just to find out that you still have more sanding to do!

I also have to agree with the comments made how can you learn to do something the right way when your doing it roung in the first place any way your hear now and this forum is one of the best places to learn how to do it right so I hope you take all the construtive critisism you've been given and stick around. keep up the unique body designs. B)

!!METAL MATT!! :D

Even though you haven't so far in your building attempts shown your ability to build high quality instruments (hey, I just noticed instruments....), you've shown something else, that is very useful. Maturity. You have yet to flame us for critisising (sp?) your work, you haven't resorted to comments about how dumb we are or anything. You've shown that you're willing to accept mistakes and do things differently/better the next time, and to use the advice of others to do so. That's a truly great thing!

• 2 months later...

I know this thread is really old, but i've only just got here...

All the sarcastic comments are correct but the only mistake Knoxville has made IMHO is to put his stuff on display!

Look at the fun the guy's having!

We've all got to start somewhere, and personally all my early guitars were made under a pseudonym so they didn't come back to haunt me... :D

the above posted edited to correct spelling only

B)

Edited by octavedoctor

All the sarcastic comments are correct but the only mistake Knoxville has made IMHO is to put his stuff on display!

What I like about this forum is that people are willing to display their projects --warts and all!

If nothing else, it has helped me avoid a number of major mistakes with my own project ....(gonna do the color coat today!)

When I made that statement the point I was making is that he had subjected himself to ridicule, which isn't helpful; constructive guidance achieves more than the braying mockery of an open forum.

I admire Knoxville for his display of cool under fire; he's taken the flak like a man and I hope he goes on to develop the self critical ability he needs to be a craftsman.

:D Knoxville!

B)