My Prs Project... Almost Done

EDIT: PRS, not Prs.... Don't know why I typed it like that..... Anyway:

Well, just thought I'd post up some of the work on my second guitar making attempt. This time I'm turning my Ibanez GAX-50 into a PRS McCarty style guitar. Basically what I did was strip it for parts (ie: neck and bridge) and I'm making the body for it....

Here's some progress photos:

3 pc. poplar back glued to 2 pc flamed maple top:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/sha...RS/DSCF0067.jpg

Body cut out and routing the cavities ( got brave (or stupid) and did everything freehand). Came out perfect though :D :

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/sha...RS/DSCF0006.jpg

Another shot of the same. As you can see the neck mounting area will be different since I'm adapting the neck:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/sha...RS/DSCF0007.jpg

Routed around the edges and tapered off at the horns in preparation to arch the top:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/sha...RS/DSCF0010.jpg

Drilling out most of the wood for the back cavity:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/sha...RS/DSCF0011.jpg

Arched top using a 5 inch orbit sander (quick work doing it this way too)..... Had to do the horns with a dremel and sand by hand. Still working on the horns at this point:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/sha...RS/DSCF0020.jpg

Done with top and added the knob circle thingamajigs:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/sha...RS/DSCF0068.jpg

Some work on the back side:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/sha...RS/DSCF0070.jpg

Modified the headstock to look like a PRS neck (won't have any logos or anything though:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/sha...RS/DSCF0069.jpg

Edited by Gigabyte

Awesome man. The orbital sander was a good idea. Lot quicker then using a shaver or scrapers. What are the details on that neck you are using? Also nice job modifying the headstock. I am thinking about doing an arched top on my next project, will have to remember some of your tricks. :D

Hey Iam using the same neck for a 9-string flying-V project that iam working on

it's going to be the same idea as a B.C.Rich birch with string mounting ferruls on the headstock I had to MOD the string nut and the bridge but no big deal.

any way great looking guitar!! are you going to dye the top.

!!METAL MATT!! :D

Thanks for the kind words..... Some answers to questions:

As for the top I did absolutely no carving (ie: chisels)..... All I did was start out with routing the edges out like the picture above. To get the curve or arching all I did was use the 5 inch orbit sander with a 100 grit disk on it. Basically I just held it at an angle (down toward the edge). I did this for the whole top until I got to about where the top of the neck pickup cavity is on the top horn and the bottom of the same cavity on the bottom horn. That part only took about 30 minutes. After that the curves gets too small for the orbit sander. The top of the horns I just slowly shaped with a dremel using a small sanding roll followed by hand sanding to smooth it out... Doing the horns took a lot longer because of all the hand sanding involved...

As for the color, I'm going to die it scarlett red after dying it black and sanding it back. Haven't decided if I'm going to use the spray on type or do it the old fashion way and wipe it on....

The neck is just a 22 fret Ibanez GAX 50 neck. I believe they use the same neck on all the AX and GAX models.... I took the "Ibanez" off using the wife's fingernail polish remover (for some reason they put the silver logo on after they clear coat it). It came off very easy actually but I could still see where it said "Ibanez" because it was shinier where the letters where so I wet sanded it and polished it out and no more logo.... I shaped the top of the head stock with a dremel and sanding roll after chopping excess wood off with one diagonal cut from the hacksaw..... I love that dremel :D

As for the knob reccesses I used a big cove bit for a router(don't know exact size, just big). Actually I used it incorrectly but it worked. I just took the screw and bearing off the end and put it in a drill press. One thing I noticed when testing it out on some scrap was that when I drilled the pilot hole out larger than the circular part at the bottom of the bit it didn't work very well and got choppy as the wood wanted to jump around. Suprisingly I got excellent results making the pilot hole smaller than the bottom of the bit. Just go slow and don't move to the real guitar until you practice it out on scrap........

1805.GIF

Edited by Gigabyte

• 2 months later...

Just thought I'd show some update pictures since I've dyed the body and started doing clear coats over the past couple of days. Please excuss the crappy pictures, they don't do the finish justice; plus some are at night between coats at that..........

3 stages of dying

(Sounds like some sort of theological idea....)

side shot at night with some clear and orange peel

angled front/bottom shot

similar shot with no flash

(I know.... I need to learn to take better pictures.....)

Couple shots of the front inside with no flash (still crappy looking pictures B) )

Front1

Front2

I've got a couple more cans of clear to put on, then a month of staring :D

Edit:

Here's a shot of the real neck in place since the other neck looks funny (it's the neck I use to hang and paint my guitars with. Anyway, here's the shot:

Neck shot

Edited by Gigabyte

Jeeziz. I need to be less scared of carving... not that it's 'easy', but you're convincing me that it doesn't need to be as hard as I'm imagining. :DB)

Wonderful work so far. Looking forward to the finished result!

Greg

The heel of the neck looks like it protrudes quite a bit above the top of the guitar. What type of bridge are you using. I guess you wont need a neck angle but you might have to raise that bridge up a bit. Carve looks really nice though!

The heel of the neck looks like it protrudes quite a bit above the top of the guitar. What type of bridge are you using. I guess you wont need a neck angle but you might have to raise that bridge up a bit. Carve looks really nice though!

As far as the neck heel, I based it on how far it went up on the Ibanez GAX. Also if you notice how small the neck pocket is relative to where the bottom horn is at the corner there. On a real PRS 22 fret the neck pocket (top of the guitar) ends at about the 21st fret........ Of course I had to make adjustments because I'm adapting the neck..... I test fitted everything including the neck and the bridge and loosely put some strings on it to see how the action would be and also to see how access to the upper register would be and everything was good :D

Another thing worth mentioning is between 3 of my guitars (Iban. GAX, BC Rich and Strat), I could count 6 frets up and coincidently there was the top of the neck heel on all 3 guitars; so that something else I took into consideration.........

gt_moderneagle.jpg

BTW, that's my guitar holding neck (POS neck). The real neck sits much better in the pocket......

As far as the bridge, I'm using the one that came off the Ibanez, which looks almost identical to the one in the PRS picture above... Same type of setup basically...

Edited by Gigabyte

Thanks for the kind words guys........

Here's a couple of shot during the day :D

This sucker really lights up when the sun hits it. In the last shot on the right it got so bright the camera won't even pick up the grain B)

3 front shots...

Here's some shots of the horns for skibum5545

horns

The top horn looks really rounded as far as the carving. It doesn't look so round in real life. I guess the reflections are making it look sort of screwy.........

Edited by Gigabyte

Is that the neck you are going to use on it? If so I think that the neck extends a bit to high from the body. Or you left it that high to compensate for the 3 degree that is suppose to be used? The carve turn out very good! I'm planning on doing a PRS outtake on my next build as soon as I get the wood her, should be here by monday, but the neck won't arrive until 2 weeks from now, I'm getting a Warmoth from their showcase but I have to wait until they do the frets and nut.

And on the recessing of the control knobs, it would have been easier if you would have had the holes drilled to 3/8" and then use the cove bit the same way you did but with a 3/8" bearing on the tip. It will prevent the bit from wandering if your body slides by mistake and also from creeping like you mentioned before.

Is that the neck you are going to use on it?  If so I think that the neck extends a bit to high from the body.  Or you left it that high to compensate for the 3 degree that is suppose to be used?  The carve turn out very good!  I'm planning on doing a PRS outtake on my next build as soon as I get the wood her, should be here by monday, but the neck won't arrive until 2 weeks from now, I'm getting a Warmoth from their showcase but I have to wait until they do the frets and nut.

And on the recessing of the control knobs, it would have been easier if you would have had the holes drilled to 3/8" and then use the cove bit the same way you did but with a 3/8" bearing on the tip. It will prevent the bit from wandering if your body slides by mistake and also from creeping like you mentioned before.

The neck is actually not sitting all the way in the pocket. I have it sitting off of the body so I don't have to peel it away from the neck heel when it's dry from all the clear coats... A lesson learned from the last project :D

I'll take a pic with the real neck on it in a sec.......