My First Swirl With Pics, But I Have Questions

Scooby

This is my first Guitar Swirl. I have been practicing on odds and ends for a week and a half now so I thought tonight would be a great time to take the plunge(so to speek). I found after trying different paints for a while that the Tester Brand paints worked the best. I also used the Spray Can Tester Paints. So here is one of the pics and there is a link to the album below. But I Have some questions I need answered.

Link to Swirl Guitar Album

0.jpg

So my Questions are

1. Can I wet sand this body or do something to it to get rid of the slight dripping and inperfections?

2. What do I use for the final coat? And how can I apply it? The Tester Paints are oil based Enamals just so you know.

So if one of you could give me some pointers I would be greatfull.

Thanks

Scooby

Wow.. thank you guys. I just did a lot of practice runs before doing the guitar. I did by the way sand the runs down as much as I could without taking any of the paint off. It was not an easy thing to do, but I took my time. I have now sprayed the body with Minwax Polycrylic(spelling) and it seems to be good.

Does anyone know a better choice for the finish?

And thank you all for your responces. :D

Hello everyone B)

I am not home at the moment so I cant look up the colors. Sorry. But I can explain what I used for dipping and the amount of Borax.

I bought a plastic trash barell at Walmart that was only $3 and some change. It was a 30 gallon trash barell. I filled it up about 3/4 of the way to the top(enough to submerge the whole guitar) with water. The water was about room temp maybe a little cooler. I added 1.5 to 2 cups of Borax and stired it around. I waited about 10 minutes. Then I used 4 different colors, All blue :D and they were the Tester's Brand Spray can model paint. You can buy this in any model shop or Wal-mart in the model section. I started with the darkest color first then went to the lightest color. as soon as I was done spraying I dipped the guitar slowly into the water. With my other hand I cleared an exit for the guitar with some rolled up newspaper. When It was out, I just twirled it a little and tried to remove as much of the water as I could.

So that is really all I did. :D

From what I picked up from the tutorial on the main site, is that Borax is used to brake the water tension, so the paint evens out nicely on the water.........

I was thinking....could I used little dish washer soap to do same trick.

Just thinking out load here.........why does it have to be borax???

(I'm not sure where I can find that stuff.....)

would dish washing detergent not break up an oil based paint and cause it to mix with the water rather than floating on the top? dunno myself, jus wonderin. planning on doin a couple of swirls myself soon. B):D

Hello everyone.

I am going to start to put this guitar together as soon as I get an

RG Neck I purchased off Ebay. But I was wondering what everyong thought I sould use for a pickguard on this guitar? I have the perl white one that came with it(this used to be a RG350DX white guitar) but I was also thinking of using a clear pick guard. didnt know if anyone had any suggestions. Anything will help.

thanks

Scooby :D

would dish washing detergent not break up an oil based paint and cause it to mix with the water rather than floating on the top? dunno myself, jus wonderin.

I think you only need few drops of liquid soap to brake the water tension. I will have to test this. Borax seems to be proved route, but I guess soap will do same trick.

I also having been thinking about the process. What if I would install small tap/faucet on bottom of holding bucket and instead of pulling guitar out of bucket, just letting water level drop by letting the water out (slowly).

This way I don't have to deal with making open area on top, and if done with proper (slow) speed....the guitar will lack the nasty drip and drop marks other talk about.

I was just coming up with the concep last light.......what do you guys think....would this work????

I also having been thinking about the process. What if I would install small tap/faucet on bottom of holding bucket and instead of pulling guitar out of bucket, just letting water level drop by letting the water out (slowly).

This way I don't have to deal with making open area on top, and if done with proper (slow) speed....the guitar will lack the nasty drip and drop marks other talk about.

I dont think that would solve the problem. As the water goes down.. the paint will be run over the guitar once again. Making the open area on the top of the water with the news paper was actually pretty easy.

I was thinking that a white pearl finish might look cool. Notice I didn't say pearloid...

Clear could be cool, too. Would you have the control cavities and stuff visible?

Do you mean to use the perl pickguard? (I can be blonde sometimes :D )

And yeah the control Cavities and stuff would be visible.

Do you mean to use the perl pickguard?

Well, I mean something that looks similar to the one second from the right:

lustre.jpg

I think that a pearlescent off white could look cool. That means it would probably have to be painted, which may be somewhat problematic. You could always do a clear pickguard with the paint on the back of the pickguard. Just my thoughts...