Progress Of My Jem Style Guitar

I can machine my own inserts at school, but i didnt know if it would be easier to buy them (I would just stick them on the lathe, drill a hole in the center, tap it for the bolt and glue them into the neck)

Edit

I have been thinking of what i will get done tommorow, the routing (i have everything set up, just need to attack it with the router, lol) after i get the routing done, i am going to drill for the jack, then start finishing sanding, and go to 300 tommorow, then bring in my own paper and go to 1000 thursday, and then on friday apply my finish and friday night apply my clear

friday while i am waiting for finish to dry, i will be routing the T rod and attaching F board and finish sanding the neck, will be applying finish and clear to neck on saturday, then saturday ngiht after i get home from my BMX trip, I will do the wet sanding and final clears

Sunday, i shall be wiring and testing, monday i shall be attaching neck, monday ngiht i shall be playing :D lol

Curtis

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

The neck looks thicker at the 4th fret than at the 7th fret.

Measure the thickness of the neck on each fret, in other words, with a pair of calipers, measure from the center of the fretboard to the center of the back of the neck, that will give you the thickness. A thick neck will be 20mm at the nut, a thin neck is 17mm typically.

I prefer to measure 1st and 12th, rather than take any measurements at the nut. The thinnest point of the neck is usually the 1st fret, after which there is a gentle thickenning to blend into the headstock. As such a nut thickness measurement can be misleading.