Cud's Project Guitar

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I polished the body today. I'm very happy with level of shine but I've got some stubborn surface scratches that I can't get out. I don't know how they got there either as they weren't there when I finished sanding at 2000 grit. I believe I created them while applying the 3M Finesse It II. I've added 9 pics to the "Finish Stage" page.

http://www.downinfrontht.com

polish_5.JPG

woah this simply kicks ass \o/ Im checking out your website every ****ing day, waiting for updates - it is just a wonderful guitar!

i want to build a ebmm petrucci copy as my first guitar project, too - do you know where i can find any good reference material, detailed body pictures, sketches, plans et cetera?

Edited by BlackZ

Very nice.

I really like the color of the mahogany :DB)

But honestly I thought I would be more impressed with the color of the top. It seems a little washed out. Don't get me wrong I love it and think it's totally awesome but the top just looks a little washed out. Could just be the pics...

The only thing I would have done diffrent is do some sort of black accsent line between the top and the mahognay. Mabye by glueing a thin (PERFECTLY flat) peice of ebony between the top and the back? Thats probably the hardest way of doing it but my mind isint working right now :D

Black7, there is a partial schematic on ernieball.com. You'll have to look around there for the wiring diagrams. Other than that, I think it's pretty slim pickings.

Godin, I've always felt the pictures of this color have been bad. My camera is not all that good and no matter what I do, I can't get an accurate shot. The flash totatlly washes it out and no flash causes blurry pics.

I'm not total thrilled with the color either: I wanted more blue than green. But in person, it sure doesn't look washed out. It's very rich and vivid. The guitar actually does look better in person.

Tomorrow, I'll put her together.

MAN CUD There Is NOTHING Wrong With That Color!!!!!!! B) You did An awesome job :D I Hope That I Can Learn To Do finish Work As good As That!!

I Cant Wait To See It Done :D

!!METAL MATT!! :D

Godin, I've always felt the pictures of this color have been bad. My camera is not all that good and no matter what I do, I can't get an accurate shot. The flash totatlly washes it out and no flash causes blurry pics.

I suspected that was the problem...

Try taking it outside and putting it in the shade in a place where there wont be a thousand reflections on it. Than try it. There should be enough light where you don't have to use a flash but it won't be blurry.

I can't wait to see it put together B) I hope it plays well. Good Luck! :D:D

Edited by Godin SD

Black7, there is a partial schematic on ernieball.com.  You'll have to look around there for the wiring diagrams.

yeah, i got them already. but first of all, they are not complete - and second of all I don't know whether they are accurate? I compared the drawing with images and photos of the guitar, but there were some minor differences concerning the dimensions and positioning of the components. they will be useful though - at least i hope so :D

Edited by BlackZ

I read the same thing but for levelling with mineral spirits I think 3 or 4 days is fine.  Final polishing, maybe 7-10 days.  I know some folks wait a month but I think that's excessive.

I guess I will be levelling with mineral spirits then :D

Thanks!

Since I'm in the clear coat stage, you can count me in as one of your mineral spirit converts. It's no more aggressive than wet-sanding with soapy water, but it does evaporate nicely. Do you have any concerns with the mineral spirits contaminating the surface before you apply the next shot of clear. I suppose not since you've already got 10 coats on the thing.

That's another question that I had for you. I normally try to stay with a more conservative number of clear coats. 10 seems like a lot. Have I been wrong about this, or is this just personal preference?

I read the same thing but for levelling with mineral spirits I think 3 or 4 days is fine.  Final polishing, maybe 7-10 days.  I know some folks wait a month but I think that's excessive.

I guess I will be levelling with mineral spirits then :D

Thanks!

Since I'm in the clear coat stage, you can count me in as one of your mineral spirit converts. It's no more aggressive than wet-sanding with soapy water, but it does evaporate nicely. Do you have any concerns with the mineral spirits contaminating the surface before you apply the next shot of clear. I suppose not since you've already got 10 coats on the thing.

That's another question that I had for you. I normally try to stay with a more conservative number of clear coats. 10 seems like a lot. Have I been wrong about this, or is this just personal preference?

I think I can step in for this one! Mineral spirits is definitally nice to work with. As long as you give the stuff time to evaporate and wipe the coat with naptha you should be fine.

10 is a good amount of clear if you are afraid to sand thru the clear. Personally I'm a 10 coat clear guy. That's where I am comfortable at. If you level with 400 after each coat, final buffing and polishing should be fast. It's all a personal thing. You have to experiment until you are comfortable :D

Edited by AlGeeEater

Tomorrow, I'll put her together.

Well? :D Come on man Ive Been Waiting For This One!!!

!!METAL MATT!! :D

Wow, 10% thinner is way low based on what I've read. But whatever works I guess. I made sure I had a good deal of retarder in their (as a thinner as well) since it was so humid.

Matt, gonna be another day or so, I'm resanding the top with 2000 today and then re-polishing so I can get those pesky scratches out.

Wow, 10% thinner is way low based on what I've read.  But whatever works I guess. I made sure I had a good deal of retarder in their (as a thinner as well) since it was so humid.

Nope, not a lot of retarder either. Maybe a half a teaspoon at max. Granted, it didnt lay down PERFECT, but I got less shrinkback then it would be thinned at 50%. A lot of retarder does help the finish lay out smoothly though.

I'm actually looking into using heat lamps to cute finishes faster also :D

Wow, 10% thinner is way low based on what I've read.  But whatever works I guess. I made sure I had a good deal of retarder in their (as a thinner as well) since it was so humid.

I got less shrinkback then it would be thinned at 50%. A lot of retarder does help the finish lay out smoothly though.

Good point.

Just a quick update: I took the face down to 2000 again to remove those scratches I mentioned. Then re-polished.

It is perfect now. I am so high on the finish on this guitar. I also spent more time working in the 3M Imperial Hand Glaze this time. Gonna do the back with more Glaze later.

The finish on this guitar is 99% of my DC727. I can't call it perfect because the DC727 is perfect. But it really is that close. I'll post pics later.

Dave

Looking sweet!!!!!!!!! I hope I have that good a finish when I finally get around to mine. What brand of nitro did you spray? Where did you get your gun, do you like it?

Just thought I'd post a couple of pics of the body after I re-sanded the top and then re-polished. I had some surface scratches that were bothering me. As you can see, they're gone.

Just thought I'd post a couple of pics of the body after I re-sanded the top and then re-polished. I had some surface scratches that were bothering me. As you can see, they're gone.

http://downinfrontht.com

body_polished_2.JPG