Can I Add More Speakers?

Curtis P

I would like to add 2 more speakers to my Peavey Bandit 80 watter, its loud and all, dont get me wrong, but I would like to add 2, ohh crap, celestions (I think thats what their name is) in a home made box.

I have started designing a wall unit for my room, the middle will be open where my amp will go, and I want to have the additional box be disconnectable easily (like, quick connects, male and female ends) so i can move it around,

Is it possible? or should i just save up for a few years (while i get better on guitar) and just go for a halfsack??

Curtis

Possible, but if you don't wire the speakers up correctly, you can damage your output transformer. Do you know how the speakers in the amp are wired up? (ohm ratings and whether parallel or series wired)

The other thing I would need to know is the rating of the new speakers in terms of ohms...

BTW, yes, that would be Celestion speakers. :D

When you are talking about "your room" - do you mean a jam room / studio or a bedroom? How much space do you have and how loud can you play in that room without disturbing the peace? That's probably the biggest factor in determining if you should go for the half-stack. Not all of them sound great at bedroom levels if that's where it's going.

Bedroom

11x24 (was supposed to be the master bedroom, but it was downstairs, and my mom didnt want to sleep downstairs, so i got it, ohh yea, biggest bedroom in the house)

Disturbing the peace? nah, around my neighbourhood we have dirtbikers, sledders, ATVers (me and my bro, 2 other neighbours) so we are pretty loud and no one gives a hoot.

Right now, I can turn my amp up to 7 (out of 10) and shake the window in my room, and the window in the room right above me, but I want something bigger, louder, yea know,

Curtis

If your amp is a Peavey Transtube® Bandit® 112, you can add another speaker cabinet, so long as it's an 8 ohm cabinet. That's either a single 8 ohm speaker, two 16 ohm speakers wired in parallel, two 4 ohm speakers wired in series, four 8 ohm speakers with two parallel pairs wired in series (like a standard 4x12 cabinet), etc. If you need the manual, you can download it from the Peavey website for free - it will explain all this stuff.

Now please explain to me, if you don't mind, why you need an 80 watt amp to play in your bedroom. :D We play 300 seat clubs with a 50 watt 2x12 guitar rig, and still get asked to turn down.

Now please explain to me, if you don't mind, why you need an 80 watt amp to play in your bedroom.  We play 300 seat clubs with a 50 watt 2x12 guitar rig, and still get asked to turn down.

to me(not trying to speak for curtis) i add speakers not for sheer loudness,but for a larger mass of moving air...which sounds better to me,even at a lower volume.

i am a big fan of having more than you need...because i don't like it when the amp starts clipping(clipping may not be the proper term)

i want one smooth,full sound,without harshness,at any level i need it

my amp sounds great anywhere from about 30 db up to about 120db(i am just guessing on the volumes here....you can also read that as from "conversational level up to OH MY GOD MY EARS ARE BLEEDING!!!)

no clipping whatsoever(at least any that i can hear)

i use a 350 watt mode 4 with a full stack of 1960b vintage cabs...rated at 280 watts a piece.plenty of headroom

The Bandit was my first combo. I got it for Christmas in 1985... :D what an awesome amp it was. It probally has a black widow or scorpion in it rated at 8 ohms. The only way to add another cab would be to double the ohms of the internal and external speaker. In short- if your amp is rated to put out 8 ohms you'll need two 16 ohm speakers. Check specs and match speakers accordingly.

Disturbing the peace? nah, around my neighbourhood we have dirtbikers, sledders, ATVers (me and my bro, 2 other neighbours) so we are pretty loud and no one gives a hoot.

I was really just talking about your family. I'd be interested to hear how you like it though if you do end up going with something more powerful such as the 1/2 stack.

It probally has a black widow or scorpion in it rated at 8 ohms. The only way to add another cab would be to double the ohms of the internal and external speaker. In short- if your amp is rated to put out 8 ohms you'll need two 16 ohm speakers. Check specs and match speakers accordingly.

Yep, a Scorpion

Now please explain to me, if you don't mind, why you need an 80 watt amp to play in your bedroom.  We play 300 seat clubs with a 50 watt 2x12 guitar rig, and still get asked to turn down.

The gym at my school seats 2000 sitting and 2500 standing, and 2 bands that play regularly, the one has a Marshall half stack with just a standard head on it and he has it pretty muched cranked and at the back (unmicced) and unless you aint talkin, you can barely hear the guitar over the drums (micced)

To play in my bedroom, well, it aint completly neccacary, but i like to take my guitar to the drummers, and it just gets too hard to hear, with the ear muffs and all, and i got it cranked at about 6, and thats the drummer can hear me to keep in time, but heck, I like the sound of my amp, and when it comes time to upgrade, I would rather have my combo amp pimped out so its actually bigger/louder then a half stack

Curtis

I would rather have my combo amp pimped out so its actually bigger/louder then a half stack

Not gonna happen. You have a built in power amp meant to handle what is already in your combo. Without a "preamp out"...which you dont have, you can't even add a power amp.

Not gonna happen. You have a built in power amp meant to handle what is already in your combo.

Yes, but he has a combo with a power amp in it that puts out (according to Peavey) 80 watts into 8 ohms, and over 100 watts into a 4 ohm load! He's got plenty of power!

Curtis, doesn't your amp have an extension speaker jack on the back? If it does, plug up a second 8 ohm cabinet and wail away, bruvvah! :D

it does, my friend has the same amp, and when i had to record our demo before i had an amp head, we hooked it up to a mesa/boogie 4x12...that was quite ear shattering on low volume. also i thought i read somewhere that solidstate amps can handle any speaker cabinet regardless of ohms without damaging the amp itself, but how does it damage it anyway? does a signal get sent back into the amp after it exits through the speaker outs? how would it damage it.

... i thought i read somewhere that solidstate amps can handle any speaker cabinet regardless of ohms without damaging the amp itself, but how does it damage it anyway?

If the load impedance is too low, the output devices can pull too much current attempting to drive it, and destroy themselves (think of a hotrod engine running a near redline with the clutch disengaged). Some solid state amps are rated down to 2 ohms, but you can't assume that an amp that isn't specifically designed for a lower load will survive it! I guess it all depends on what your repair budget is - if you can afford to blow it up, you can ignore the manufacturer's instructions. :D

If it's not labelled "Extension Speaker" or just "Speaker", I have no idea, Curtis, sorry. Even after dealing with Peaveys for almost 30 years, I can't get a good grip on the way they do things. Post what it says on those jacks when you get a chance, and we'll figger it out!

• 1 month later...

ok, here are the names of the jacks on the back, from left to right:

Power Amp In

Preamp Out

Remote Switch

So, anyone got any help for a young lad??

Edit, I would like to add this in:

I will be using two, 100 watt, or 80 watt speakers, rated at 8 ohms, if i must, i will get 16 ohms and wire them parrell, i also want to know if there is a possiblity to add a seperate volume knob for this cab, as it might be handy yea know?

Thanks for your replies

Curtis

you can easily add a 2x12 cab to your bandit as long as its 8 ohms i have a bandit and i actually did this for a while. I actually made a small switch so thati could choose between the internall speaker and then the extrernal cab, adn it was ll housed in a small lil box with a 1/4" jack so it was pretty handy. granted i dont have it set up liek that anymore now that im not in band

Now please explain to me, if you don't mind, why you need an 80 watt amp to play in your bedroom. :D We play 300 seat clubs with a 50 watt 2x12 guitar rig, and still get asked to turn down.

thers two people that I know that one has a bandit, and the other a classic 50 2/12. The bandit is about half as loud as the classic. He playes the bandit cranked and the classic only about halfway up the numbers.

the higher the ohms the lower the output of the amp will be, so if it is a 80W @ 16 ohms it will see about 40-50 w at the speaker, that's why lovekraft wrote the 4 ohm in is previous post.

Also the amp is not concerned about how many speakers you connect to it. It doen't "handle", the speakers handle the power supplied by the amp. The only thing the amp is concerned is the impedance (Z) presented to it, you can have 100 speakers, as long as the Z is within the range that the amp is stable you will be fone. The only problem is that adding a lot of speakers won't sound good. Adding 1 additional, or a 2X12 cab will be good. I think that you can go with the 4 ohms you will have to check the specs to make sure the amp is stable to 4 if not it will overheat.

Once again, the speaker doesn't demand anything from the amp but just receives what ever the amp has to offer. The amp doesn't handle the speakers the speakers handle the amp.

Curtis, you can do the switch the same way you do a pup switch, have the negative connected to both speakers on a common stud, and the positive to a neutral pole on a pup switch, then one lead will go to the amp speaker the other to the cab. you can make this into a jack by adding one to the cab output cables

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v195/Maiden69/switch.jpg

Hey Maiden (i would call you by your first name if i knew it) what kinda shitch would be good to work? i dont think a 3 way PUP sellector will handle an amp, would it??

Also, is it labelled on the speaker how much it can take?? last thing i want to do is overheat my amp, and yes, i will only be using two 12 inch speakers, i might only use 10's, if the 12's are too exspensive

Do you know how i would go about hooking it up to the amp? It appears that on the back of the speaker itself, there are 2 prongs (positive and negative i am guessing) by themselves with no female connectors on them, would I use that?? But, if I do use that, will that not let me be able to run my switch??

I can do wood working, electronics, well, i aint too good at lol

Thanks

Curtis

check the ratings on your switch, at 80 watts the voltage would be about 26 volts rms (36.75 v peak) into 8 ohms

v=sqrt(p*r)

and the amperage should be in the 3-4 amp range (into 8 ohms), if you check the ratings on your switch (usually something like 3amps into 120 v) if the ratings are in the range then it should work fine.

Edited by truerussian558

You need a 3 way on-off-on switch, no a regular pup wont work because it's

(on-both on-on) .this is what you need. And the power rating is decent for your project.

Yes the speaker are normaly labelled. With exeption of most factory speakers like Crates. this site will give you from thiele small parametters to the kind of sound you can expect to get from the speakers, and I heard a guy playing thru his Crate cab fitted with 4 red white & blue and it sounded awsome.

Look at the drawing that I made, you will have to make some cutting and splicing overthere, but is nothing major. the switch you can mount onboard, then next to it you can place a 1/4" jack to connect the cab. If not you can use a small project box to do all the connections.

Just cut the cables from the amp to the speaker, input them to the box thru a gromett, wire to the center tabs on the switch, have the switch in the center of the box, with the 1/4" jack to one side, from the switch 2 wires to the speaker and the other 2 (from the opposite side to the jack), that's it.

toggle.jpg