Stock P/u Upgrade

ultraman

Hey guys,

Im looking to upgrade me trusty flametop ibanez RG from its stock powersound pickups.

The sound im looking for in this upgrade this guitar is a british 80s thrash metal sound.

(metallica, maiden, megadeth, etc.)

Got any suggestions?

The only limitation that i have is thay they have to be passive pickups.

(I dont wanna route my baby)

Any links to soundclips or info pages you have, would also be greatly appreciated.

B) Thanks! :D

I know Maiden uses a seymour duncan JB or JB junior in the bridge , then duncan hotrails in their neck and middle. Im sure you could fit a battery in your guitar. Metallica uses EMG 81's and i think SA's if the use singles which are both active.....

Have you considered the Duncan Invader or Screamin' Demon P-UPs? Or even the Dimebucker. Here's some links for prices, and or reviews on these 3 pickups. Hope nobody minds me posting these. :D

Dimebucker

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guit...ase_pid/300131/

George Lynch's Screamin Demon http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guit...ase_pid/300140/

Invader http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guit...ase_pid/300070/

you said you don't want actives,and i understand.but just to clear up some misinformation i have to tell you that i installed emgs in my rg without routing anything.

the control cavity is large enough that all you do is wrap the battery in foam and electrical tape(the foam comes with the emgs) and stuff it in with the electronics.

i had an RG adn i had a screamin demon in it andi didnt quite liek the sound out of it....too much low end that soudned kinda flabby most liekly a r esult of the basswood. westheman is right hought you could easily fit a abttery in the control cavity its very spacious.

I'd also vote for the Seymour Hot Rails. I've used those for years and I love the sound that they give the neck pickup.

I would not use the Dimebucker or the Invader for different reasons. Given that you are after an 80's metal sound, the Dimebucker would probably be a little to high gain. The Invader has these retarded magnets in them and it's really muddy sounding. No clarity in the notes at all.

Given that, I would suggest trying a DiMarzio Distortion. It's pretty much the pickup to get that 80's sound IMHO.

I was thinking of having a seymour duncan JB in the bridge and a Jazz p/u in the neck

position. That seems to me like a pretty logical thing to do since so many metal-related

guitar companies are doing it. What do you think?

As for the active emgs, are they harder to install than regular pickups?

Thanks for the input guys. Keep it coming! :D

If anything, EMGs are easier to install than some aftermarket pickups because they come with comprehensive instructions and well-drawn diagrams. Outside of that, the difference is literally one extra wire (for power) per pickup, and wiring the stereo jack as a power switch (and that's literally one more wire, period). If you like the sound of them, don't let the fact that they're active scare you away - it's really no big deal! Find a place to put the battery, and the rest is too easy.