Hear's An Old Guitar I Built For A Friend

Dec11073ray.jpg

Well hear are some pic's I took today, this is a guitar I built about 2 years ago

not my best work in my mind but ray love's it, I was going to trash this one when he came over and pulled it out of my junk box he asked me how much I wanted for it I told him that I wanted nothing for it it was crap to me but when I saw how much he liked it I told him that I would finish it for him and give it to him for free

so he liked that idea!! B) anyway hear are some pic's there not the best.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/ZAD...Dec11068ray.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/ZAD...Dec11070ray.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/ZAD...Dec11076ray.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/ZAD...Dec11067ray.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/ZAD...Dec11074ray.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/ZAD...Dec11071ray.jpg

!!METAL MATT!! :D

pretty slick.bet it's neck heavy though,which i am sure is why the strap goes all the way to the headstock

little tip for you next time.on a guitar with a v style upper wing like that,you should put the bottom strap pin more towards the center of the v.on that one i would have put it right in the center exactly.

helps it balance more properly.

and put the other pin on the neck heel.if it is still neck heavy,then you should alter the design to balance better.balance is a MAJOR factor in playability

usually the first time you make a special design you need to experiment with such things until you get it perfect,then make it the same way the next time

kudos to you for giving it away as well

Dec11075rayheadstock.jpg

what about a picture of the headstock? I cant really see it in any of the pictures

hear's a pic of the headstock the neck came off an old vantage I used for part's.

pretty slick.bet it's neck heavy though,which i am sure is why the strap goes all the way to the headstock

Well it is neck heavy that's one of the reasons I had junked it, but that's not why there's a strap up there you see 2 years ago I was drilling new screw hole's for the trussrod cover when I hit A soft spot in the wood and the drill bit went right through the headstock, but it turend out to be a good thing since that's how ray plays all his guitars with the strap way up there I lucked out on that one but I did learn one thing from that goof up, Use a drill press B)

Very cool, what kinda wood is it? and whats that dark wood you use on your other guitars? its nice

well this one is very nice birdseye maple that I got for free A long time ago for some work I did for a friend, but I'am not sure what dark wood your talking about

I use a lot of dark wood's

mat... can i have geetar out of your junk box??? i'll pay the shippingbloody nora, that axe is mondo coolo...

Hey mike you never know I may have something for you one day soon I,ll look and see what I got in my junk box for you but I cant make any promises but I can at least take a look B)

Matt... I would as well... LOL... I'm not kiddin'!

I like anything and everything, so just let me know if you find something... Please? Your work is awesome, and I would be proud to have one of your pieces around my neck!

Blemishes and such in the wood aren't a big issue to me, either.

Edited by Wasabi J

Mattsguitarpics0006goood61.jpg

Hey mike how's this one find ya, B) this is one I have had laying around now for A year it's not a whole guitar in two way's, "1" it's still just a body no neck no pickup's nothing no work done at all just the 2 hole's drilled out for volume and tone "2" it's not thick enough to be a guitar yet this will eather be a top or a back what you do with it is up to you I would only ask one thing [if you want it??] just build it dont let it sit the way I did the design is up to you after all it your 's if you want it!! so get back to me and we will work it all out. :D know this thing still need's alot of work it has some blemishes from siting around for so long so it will need some sanding I can help with that but it will take some time or you can do all the work if you want it's up to you!! and sorry the pic is upside down

!!sorry about the pic I will try to get some beter ones of this one soon!!

Matt... I would as well... LOL... I'm not kiddin'!I like anything and everything, so just let me know if you find something... Please? Your work is awesome, and I would be proud to have one of your pieces around my neck!

Blemishes and such in the wood aren't a big issue to me, either.

Sorry Wasabi J :D I dont think I have anthing else right now but I may some day so dont give up on me yet!! :D

Edited by !!METAL MATT!!

Sweet. I look foward to the day.

Thanks a bunch for doing what you do man.

RAWK.

ON.

\m/ >_< \m/

Edited by Wasabi J

...!!!!!!

im totally agog!!!

id love to have one of those wing style guitars youve made matt, and yeah i will work on it. im already having ideas as im typing.

holy mother of pearl!

promise if you send it, i'll work on it after my annihilator is finished. that neck idea you sent me would look pretty good with that. double humbucker and a good bridge... ohh yeah! :D

one question, how thick is it? i really like my guitars quite thin and as you say its not thick enough to be guitar, i might have problems getting a good hardwood to pad it out.

my annihilator is only 35mm and i really like that.

blimey.... im totally stunned. thats a very generous offer matt and i certainly wouldnt say no to it.

Hey mike I think that it's just under an inch thick but Iam not to sure right now, I can check later, you know I can do a nice top for you If you sent some money for the wood I could do like maple or purpleheart or something what ever you want the body sofar is figerd paduk and yery nice at that I can do most any thing you want with it I could build the thing for you if you sent me the part's or the money

It would just take more time!! get back to me.

geez your tempting me with loads of ideas.

to honest i just dont know. the body looks fantastic and i bloomin well want it! but i dont know if i could get anything to pad it out and it kind of defeats the point if i send you cash to build it, sure id get a really **** hot guitar, but no fun in building it myself.

let me have a think today matt and i'll get back to you.

geez your tempting me with loads of ideas.

to honest i just dont know. the body looks fantastic and i bloomin well want it! but i dont know if i could get anything to pad it out and it kind of defeats the point if i send you cash to build it, sure id get a really **** hot guitar, but no fun in building it myself.let me have a think today matt and i'll get back to you.

Cool man no big deal B) I think you would have more fun doing it your self and it would be a lot more easy on me if you built it your self but I could still help you with some of the work but the offer is there what ever you want so think about it and get back to me!!

matt your offer has been incredibly generous and it pains me to say i cant except the body.

to be truthful i dont think i could do it justice. its a fabulous body but i really have no idea about padding it out and i feel it could be of better use to someone else.

i know theres a few folk on here baying for your stuff coz its that good! i think it would be better in the hands of someone who could really turn it into a killer axe.

i wont forget your very kind offer and if theres anything i can do for you just give me a shout. but if your still feeling generous towards me you can always give me some help with the annihilator. im going to need some tips when it comes to doing the paint work and the installing the electrics! :D

matt your offer has been incredibly generous and it pains me to say i cant except the body to be truthful i dont think i could do it justice. its a fabulous body but i really have no idea about padding it out and i feel it could be of better use to someone else.i know theres a few folk on here baying for your stuff coz its that good! i think it would be better in the hands of someone who could really turn it into a killer axe.i wont forget your very kind offer and if theres anything i can do for you just give me a shout. but if your still feeling generous towards me you can always give me some help with the annihilator. im going to need some tips when it comes to doing the paint work and the installing the electrics!

Hey mike I think that is one of the most deadly things I heard sofar, to think that there's someone out there that thinks that highly of my work I would be glade to help you in what ever way I can with your annihilator!! :D Though I do think you could do a great job with this body but if you feal that your not yet firm enough in what you can build or in what you know, that's cool and this offer still stand's if you ever change your mind mike!! :D

!!METAL MATT!! B)

cheers man, who knows... i might want a rumage in that box in the near future...

one mans trash is definitly my treasure!

slightly off topic yet related, i was thinking of going to my local dump. ive been measuring dining and coffee tables... there about the right size... i was all set to go for a rumage but my partner told me to stop being such a tink and just buy some wood :D

Na!! I think it would be way cooler if you went to the dump, one of my guitars has some wood form an old dresser that I found in a dumpster behind my local Bar

But don't ask how I found it B) hahaha :D

but man feal free to rumage thru my junkbox any time!!

how much cheaper is wood from a junkyard??

Well up hear it's free!! If you can sneak it out :D

but realy it's very cheep if your willing to druge nee deep in A wee bit of waist :D

up hear all the wood Is put out on it's own in it's own place to keep some/most of it dry, I went out a few time's and I found some good stuff.

!!METAL MATT!! B)