Motivation

gilmourguy

Probably not the answer you were expecting, but I let music be organic, it comes and goes and moves around in waves around me.

Sometimes I feel like riding the wave, sometimes I'm happy to just sit and watch it pass, both are enjoyable.

I don't ever feel 'forced' to go run after a wave that is receding back out, I just let it go, there's always another wave on it's way in that I can catch if I wait a bit.

Sometimes I'll be into acoustic music and honky-tonk country for a spell, then that sort of washes away and I'll go into more Metal, then Mexican Conjunto for awhile, then shredder, then, well, it all just comes and goes, and I just go with the flow, it's real comfortable like that.

Maybe there's a reason, and it's not a bad thing, maybe there's something else going on in your life that is wanting your attention and playing music needs to take a back seat for awhile.

Maybe this is all complete BS and you need to get off yer lazy butt and practice!

:DB):D

gilmourguy...i was under the impression that you are a begginer player...if you are already having motivation problems,then imo you just don't have the drive necessary.

when i started i played EVERY DAY for hours and hours,it was painful emotionally as well as physically,but i was driven to do it...and if i accidentally made a riff sound like it was supposed to,i would sit for more hours trying to do it again.

the only people i ever met who lost motivation that quickly NEVER learned how to play

What inspries or motivates you guys?

I go forth and live among the savages. There they daub me with unguents, balms and tinctures that pass thru my skin and send me into the spirit world where I meet up with my guitar spirit guide...ahh what a load of crap! :D

Its just a mood thing, grab some tabs of songs you like off the internet and practice them. Try something different to keep things interesting. Different tunings, slide playing, fingerpicks (fingerpickin' GOOD!) Broaden your horizons. Take what you know already and perfect it and you will learn new things along the way.

Edited by Southpa

Im kind of with southpa here. Whenever i lost intrest when i first started out it sucked. But i didnt let it piss me off that much were i went online to forums or played video games, i went online :D to get tabs or sites that tought me all new tricks. I have learned so much from losing intrest if that makes sense. I just found something that i wanted to learn, learned it and started playing riffs incoporation what i learned. Hell, i just learned how to use pinch harmonics, and every riff ive made in the past days had one in it! I guess im just well rounded but learn something cool if your still a beginner, but if your not, find a cool song you havent learned and get the tab for that song. Pick up the gee-tar and jam man!

To get inspired i watch concert DVD's. Damn,they always make me wana' play!

Later bro,

Chris

I go forth and live among the savages. There they daub me with unguents, balms and tinctures that pass thru my skin and send me into the sprit world where I meet up with my guitar spirit guide...ahh what a load of crap! blink.gif

I -loved- this!!!!!

Brilliant!!!!!!!!

Maybe make it my sig?

I go forth and live among the savages. There they daub me with unguents, balms and tinctures that pass thru my skin and send me into the sprit world where I meet up with my guitar spirit guide...ahh what a load of crap! blink.gif

I -loved- this!!!!!

Brilliant!!!!!!!!

Maybe make it my sig?

troll :D

wait, i shouldnt be talking! :D

anyways, i thought of another thing to maybe motivate you. Take a 10 min break and go out side...

Edited by AlGeeEater

I played everyday.(Every single day)For the first 5 years of playing.

I felt it was almost shameful not to play.Then I cut my index finger fishing one day while changing a sparkplug.I couldn't play for a couple weeks.When I got back to playing I found out that time away is a good thing.It makes you much more creative when you do play again.

Then there's the weed.That still never fails to motivate me.:D

Why do you need motivation? I like the surfer analogy. Don't force it. If you want to become a high level shredder bad enough, you will. If you want to be at a Ramones-level ability, that's fine too - the ramones touched a lot of people, and that's what music's all about. I listen to "Bowling for Soup" more than I do Joe Satriani these days...

IMO many of the people who practice guitar at the expense of other experiences/relationships hinder some part of communication with other "normal" people. That's fine if you want to communicate primarily with other guitar geeks, but those people are a small % of the population.

I listen to certain band s that (I envy B):D ) inspire me to play everyday!

Sometimes when I listen to randy rhoads or yngwie malmsteen I go and play scales over and over again till I'm bored! That might not sound like a motivation but when I notice I get a little bit faster after a week, that can totally cheer up my day!

For the winter months, I have pretty much sorry will to play. It's painful to play but there's pretty much no heat and my fingers are cold and nearly numb. Pretty annoying.

I take a bike to school everyday and its pretty annoying when I get home can't play for an hour just because fingers are pretty much immovable! :D

I cut my hand on the tablesaw about 5 weeks ago, so I haven't been able to play much at all. I'm really just listening to lots of great music and absorbing it. If you take your mind off playing for a month or so, you also realize what you've been neglecting to play. I didn't realize how much my relationships had suffered until I took a break. Staying in on Friday nights to practice just doesn't seem healthy anymore. If you are a new player and already lost motivation I'm with Wes. I think once you hit a plateau it's good to take a break, but if you're still haven't mastered anything at all, you should keep working until you do.

I take a bike to school everyday and its pretty annoying when I get home can't play for an hour just because fingers are pretty much immovable!

as soon as i get home from work on a cold day i take a super hot bath...within 10 minutes of soaking in the hot water my hands are all loosened up