Marshall MG Series

i have a 250dfx combo...

the clean is decent...the gain section blows chunks

yeah i bought the 100dfx off of ebay for pretty cheap and what i plan to do is only use the clean section with the effects only sometimes (mainly the chorus) and just use a distortion pedal, i dont need the OD channel

If you're going to do that, then why don't you buy an amp that is known to have a -good- clean channel to start off with?

Seems to me you're short circuiting yourself in both directions and coming up pretty empty handed in the end.

I'd call that a bad hair day. :D

well im very pleased with my little MG15DFX combo. the distortion sounded good to my ears when i first started off tho i now realise it dfoes suck. however as a little practise amp for someone starting off i couldnt recomend it enough. its gonna last me a while longer untill uive finished off my tube amp and it plays nicelly with all my stomp boxes.

Its probably way too late now, but a mate of mine got his 100w combo at the same time as me, only he picked up a 2nd hand Fender Roc Pro 1000 in used but not abused condition, and I am seriously jealous.

Its been years since then, but his amp sounds brilliant clean and it has a -very- satisfying gain section. I however went with a great deal I got on a Kustom 100w combo with 2x12" speakers - It sounded heavenly clean, but the distortion was weak at best, but since I run pretty well exlusively through my GT6 Pedalboard that wasn't really my concern.

If you run through effects then at the end of the day a well built product with decent speakers is really what your after, and you could be pretty confidant the Marshall MG will have that covered, so I wouldnt worry - however there is a certain satisfaction to be had in owning and amp that you know can really rip **** on its own :D

When I do make the move to a proper Amplifier head, I wont be skimping... Randall Warhead X2! B)

because ive only been playing for a year and a half and i dont have the cash flow to buy a 900 dollar amp for being a semi-beginner.

Dude, you don't need 900 for that. I will be making mine for almost $750 and it will be a half stack sized.

http://carvin.com/products/dcm.php?ItemNum...DCM1000&CID=PWA

http://carvin.com/products/single.php?ItemNumber=412T&CID=GA

This is good if you are using a Multi effects processor or pre amp,

For $450 you can get this, and it will be plenty for years to come,

http://carvin.com/products/dcm.php?ItemNumber=DCM150&CID=PWA

http://carvin.com/products/single.php?Item...er=VE212&CID=GA

The Marshall MG really sucks big time, but if you got a good deal and once you use it you are happy with it, that's all that matters. Not what everybody else thinks about it.

I understand this because I started with a Peavey Audition 20, and progressed to a GX65, and now I have a crate MX120R. So the 1/2 stack will be the next step up,

i used to play a g100rcd(the precursor to the mg series) before i got my mode 4 and after i quit using the fender twin

it was a half stack...i played through the clean channel with a distortion pedal(zoom driver) and i ran an eq through the effects loop...it sounded very mean....

not as good obviously as what i have now...but it worked well for me for many years

i used to play a g100rcd(the precursor to the mg series) before i got my mode 4 and after i quit using the fender twin

it was a half stack...i played through the clean channel with a distortion pedal(zoom driver) and i ran an eq through the effects loop...it sounded very mean....

not as good obviously as what i have now...but it worked well for me for many years

thats the amp i got. its not bad. is the dfx that much worse?

thats the amp i got. its not bad. is the dfx that much worse?

no it's the same thing...like i said though the gain channel blows chunks.

i only used the clean channel on mine with the distortion pedal