honduran mahogany body wings

1/4 sawn honduran mahogany 4 piece neck thru laminate neck

bolivian rosewood fretboard

22 frets

25 1/2 scale

and a bunch of more specs that i dont feel like typing out right at the moment

heres the pics,

Click here

I had a lil episode with the router tonight , it tried to eat my hand alive and it destroyed my pickup template and bit into my pickup routes, ill take pics and fix it tomarrow after i make a new template up and what not

im still waiting for my tuners and bridge to come in along with a short 3way lp style toggle for the upper horn

thats it for now

MzI

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my personal preference would have been a reverse jackson/charvel style headstock with 2 hums, but its not for me its for my brother and he wants the fender style headstock so i have no say in the design decision, also its gonna be 2 hums, tune o matic and strings thru, this thing is gonna scream when its done

MzI

more pictures more pictures

Picture 1

Picture 2

Pic 3

Pic 4

Pic 5

I fixed my mess up in the pickup routes, drilled pilot holes for the 2 vol and 2 tone knobs and the 3 way toggle

Im still waiting for my bridge and tuners to come in, the fretboard is all set to be glued on tho its a lil warped nothing a lill glue and some overnight clamping wont take care of

luckily tomarrow is my last day of work so i should be able to finish most of the work i have to do by the end of the weekend

MzI

I did the jem mod type thing that Brian did in a tutorial on the main site, i took bout 1/8" off from the back of the body, its quite comfy to play, i still hafta do some more sanding to smooth things out so it should be nice and fast once im done with it.

Also NY state is causing some problems with acquiring paint so ill be buying it tonight i guess before its no longer available next week

MzI

Nice going, I would suggest you to add 2 of this. just for added piece of mind. I know that mahogany is pretty good for a neck, but is not as strong as maple, and it will help if you decide to bring the heel down just a bit. Other than that you are on the right path. Good you got to save the neck routs, I had 2 problems like this and I had to glue plugs in order to fix the problem.

the neck feels pretty solid already, i actually used a 4 piece laminate of quarter sawn mahogany so well see what happens with it, im also not goin super thin wizard style with this, ive already factored that into the design so it should be stable

MzI

Looks great man! I cant even teel there was an issue with thee routs. My only concern from looking at the pics is that your control knobs might be a little too close together. Otherwise it looks really good!

yea i realized they were a bit too close after i drilled the holes, i did check em with the pots on the top and they fit ok, so itll prolly be a bit tight but theyll fit

I also bought some paint today, i already have the primer and black base and some clear, so i went out and bought more clear and the color coat, i have way more then enough clear now so ill be set for a couple more guitars

all the paint i got was poly based 2 part, got it from napa, martin senour paints, i spent 100 alone on just the color coat and the extra thing of clear, good thing im not payin for it, it was that expensive cuz for the color coat i got the flip flop paint that changes color and has sparkle in it, so it should look cool, im gonna paint the whole guitar in the flip flop paint

MzI

• 4 months later...

im finally deciding to update this thread a lil, the guitar is just about done couple more lil things to finish, input jack, tuner holes, pickup routes, grounding, and then paint and prep

Body

neck joint

headstock

neck

instead of starting a new thread ill just post here the other 2 projects im working, yes 3 guitar projects going at once

Purple heart V

Body rear

guitar front

Neck

Soloist style super strat

Neck 1

neck 2

neck 3

thats all for now, more info tomarrow or somtime when i get a chance

More pics

MzI

Now that I like!! :D Man I cant wait to see more On that Purple heart V

1.But Im not sure but are you staining it Or something?

2.And what kind of a neck angle are you doing on the V

!!METAL MATT!! :D

the strat will be painted with green to purple color changing sparkle paint with a black basecoat, and then im thinking for the cavity covers purple heart pieces that i have laying around to accent it.

the V, interesting story bout that, the neck for the soloist is actually the original neck but i miss measured off my drawings, so the neck thats on there now is 3 piece laminate of purple heart and black walnut.

the neck angle i used was 3 degrees, as for the finish of the V, ill give it a light wash coat of diluted black dye, just enough to bring out the grain and make it pop a lil bit, the natural color of the purple heart is more then enough as is dont wanna ruin it

ill post more pics of the soloist and the V in the coming weeks cuz they are next in line to get finished.

O yea and the soloist may end up with purple heart body wings on it

MzI

a couple updates, the strat is ready for paint, im just waiting for decent weather

I did a lil more work on the Flying V, the second wing is glued on, it now looks like a guitar

Guitar 1

had one major problem tho

tear out

there was major tear out from the router where the wings meet the neck blank for some reason it took out a decent size chunk too so if anyone has any suggestions lemme know

on a better note i finally found the wood ive been looking for, white korina. ive been searching for the last 2 years for some, i finally found it on ebay should be here sometime end of this week ill post pictures when i get it.

I hope to have the strat painted by the weekend and the V just about ready for paint. I just hafta get parts for the V, basically everything cept pickups and a truss rod, yea im a lil behind

thats all for now

MzI

Updates on the Purple Heart Flying V

i rough shapped the heel, the upper fret access is like no other. its like there is no heel there at all which is great

heel 1

heel 2

the body itself is rough shapped now, i still hafta fix the major router tear out which is really bad

tear out

so i hafta figure something out for that, ill proly mix up some CA and some sawdust and fill the space and see what happens, i guess if its that bad i can black out the sides to hide it.

other then that i now realized i hafta order some parts before i move on to the next step which is to route the pickup cavities and the input jack cavity so i hafta order the pickguard and tailpiece ill be using hopefully it wont take too long to get here theres still little touch up work to be done so thatll keep me busy till my parts come in and ill prolly start on my soloist neck while im waiting

on the neck thru strat, weather is really bad here its supposed to rain all week and into next week which means no painting for a while cuz i spray outside

thats all for now

MzI

ps metalmatt if you wanna see more pictures ill take some

I'd glue the peice back in then use the glue/sawdust method to fill any gaps then sand like a crazy fool

I would but there is no piece. The wood was shredded by my router, I hafta fill the whole thing which is kinda scaring me cuz it is so deep. If you look in my previous post you can see the tear out from the side of the body and what is left on the table is whats left of the wood that tore out theres nothing.

MzI

Edited by MzI

Ya know You could always sell it to me man!! if you cant fix That tear out I know I could do some wild things To that deadly axe a few scalps and points Ya know metalmattalise it :D

HAHAHA Dam well I tryed :D I hope It works out for Ya

I cant wait to see some More Pics

ill post more pics in a day or two, tonight i worked on another new guitar. another flying v of course, actually 2 of them

clicky

this will be the wood im using

its actually the first wood ive bought off ebay, i still prefer hand selecting my wood but unfortuanetly my local place doesnt carry korina

now im deciding on whether i want to start the korina V's next or the soloist decisions decisions

MzI