8 String Questions?

guys im getting ready to draw up plans for an 8 string guitar but I dont have a clue what the standard string spacing is at the nut? im assuming that its around 2 3/8"? jeremy if I was tuned to F# (A,E,A,D,G,B,E) what would be a "normal" spacing? ( i ask this because of the underabundance of 8's!)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well, that makes perfect sense, thats what i did when i designed my bridge for it, now i just have to have it cnc'ed out! anybody know who would be able to do it for cheap? I have a technical drawing of what i need, all measurements, etc but i havent done cad before so i would have to have that done as well before it was milled, damned 8 string floyd rose!!! :D

I don't remember the measurements off hand, but for the nut width, it shouldn't be that hard to figure out :D

Measure the distance between the strings on any guitar, take that number times 7 spaces, plus the width on each edge and there is your nut width, if I remember correctly the Leviiiathan's are about 2 3/4" or 2 7/8" wide at the nut, I can't remember for sure though. I just know at the 24th fret that the board is 3 1/8" wide.

As for the bridge, CNC and cheap do not go along in the same sentence. Unless you know somebody who has a CNC machine and is willing to do the project as an experiment I would budget about $1500 to $2000 for a one off floyd rose bridge. Keep in mind that they will have to take your drawings, redraw them in CAD, write the program and then produce the parts. If you are using actual saddles from a floyd rose it will be a little cheaper for you as there will be less parts to make, but even the base plate will be a few hours worth of work on the CNC I'm sure. Most CNC shops have a shop rate of $100 per hour so it doesn't take long for prices to add up.

now that im starting to get a clearer picture of what all is going to be in this guitar, what color hardware do you guys think i should use, its going to be having a quilt top with a trans blue/green/black/violet finish, i was thinking either black or or gold, also with the tuning machines, will i have to buy 2 extra E string tuners or what will i have to do>?

now that im starting to get a clearer picture of what all is going to be in this guitar, what color hardware do you guys think i should use, its going to be having a quilt top with a trans blue/green/black/violet finish, i was thinking either black or or gold, also with the tuning machines, will i have to buy 2 extra E string tuners or what will i have to do>?

Buy them seperatly yes, but you will need to drill out the one for the lowest string (mines currently drilled for a .070)

thats what i figured i would have to do, but only on the F# string, i dont think i will have to drill out for a .58 will I?

.058 won't be anywhere near big enough for a Low F#. I use an 056 for the Low B, the natural progression should be an 070 for the F# if you are using 9's. Anything thinner I think will sound like a wet fart. :D

thats what i figured i would have to do, but only on the F# string,  i dont think i will have to drill out for a .58 will I?

.058 won't be anywhere near big enough for a Low F#. I use an 056 for the Low B, the natural progression should be an 070 for the F# if you are using 9's. Anything thinner I think will sound like a wet fart. B)

:D

Yes it willllll.

I had a 70 for my A string in my baritone, that one saw G and F# once in a while, If you intend on having that F# tunned down, which I don't see why, go a bit heavier unless you are going on an extended scale.

perhaps i should have reworded that, i meant the .58 for the A string not the F#!

how are you going to tune it?if you tune the 7th string to A,then that is a dropped tuning...B is standard tuning on that string

that leaves you the option of either tuning number 8 to standard f#,or drop it to E

personally,and it is just my opinion,i feel like dropping any string is taking the easy way out.i prefer standard

but yes...string #7 should fit through your tuners...it does on my seven string..but i believe i use a .056?

i already stated it would be tuned to F#, A, E, A, D, G, b, e wes!

yes you did.but that makes no sense.

i think you mean F#,B,etc...

right? i think you are misjudging your intervals...if you tune the 7th string to A,then you have to either tune the 8th string to E or C...and only C makes sense in that case

right?

jer, i can *possibly* get a scan of what ive done so far by the end of the week, it has all the dimensions on it that i will need, if you could get that done, that would be absolutly awesome! Pm me later this week and we'll talk about it. and alexander, jammy owns one, ask him