Need Some Theory Help.

Bill-Murray

Okay, I just started theory at Cyberfret. I can construct major scales now. I'm like freakin jimmy page now. Err, not really. But I can construct major scales. I'm stuck on their next lesson, major key signatures.

http://www.cyberfret.com/theory/major-key-...tures/index.php

I just don't know what this tells me, can somebody elaborate??

Okay, key signatures tell you what key the music is. There are 3 symbols that you will find in key signatures. # - sharp, b - flat, and the natural sign which is like a box with two of its sides extending in one direction. In order to be able ot interpret a key signature, you will need to leard the notes on the staff. In treble clef, the lines go from bottom to top: EGBDF. I learned this with the saying Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge. Now, the spaces go: FACE.

In the key signature, the note that the symbol is centered on is the note affected. For instance, in the key of G Major, the sharp is on the F, therefore all of the Fs written will be raised 1/2 step (1 fret).

In treble clef, the lines go from bottom to top: EGBDF. I learned this with the saying Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge. Now, the spaces go: FACE.

Dont forget, treble cleff is also called G clef. A hint is that the end wraps around the G note. I took up band in middle school so i know treble and bass cleff. The Every Good Boy Deserves Fun is how i learned it. FACE was the same. I think i used that line like 20 times in the sixth grade then never again becuase you just know the stuff when you use it. Good luck with the scales. Also try arpegios and thirds if you want even more help with staff music and music theory too.

There are 3 symbols that you will find in key signatures. # - sharp, b - flat, and the natural sign which is like a box with two of its sides extending in one direction.

No...there is no natural sign in a key signature. Only sharps and flats.

Naturals only appear as notes in the following measures IF the note being played is a natural (not the sharp or flat) within the given key signature.

As it applies to guitar, a Major scale starting from the same string always has the same 'shape' no matter what key you're in. So if you start playing a G-Major scale from G the 7th note is F# and hence, the note F has one # on it for the key signature for G-Major. All the rest of the notes for G-Major are natural notes.

So, key signatures don't only tell you what key you're in, they also tell you what notes in the following measures are assumed to be sharp or flat without notating them as such.

This stuff you need to cast to memory. It's the only way to make it useful in furthering theory study.

The easiest way to memorize key signatures is to memorize the circle of fifths. If you drew the following in a circle with "C" at the 12 o'clock position you would have the circle. C, G, D, A, E, B, F#/Gb, C#/Db, G#/Ab, F. Going clockwise around the circle, you add one sharp to the key signature each time you move. G will have one sharp in the key signature, D will have two, etc. Going counterclockwise each will have one additional flat. The key signature for F is one flat, etc. Hope that helps. You can just look at the key signature to determine which notes are sharp or flat using the "Every Good Boy Does Fine" (or whatever variation you've picked up). :D

No...there is no natural sign in a key signature. Only sharps and flats.g theory study.

If you change keys in the middle of the song, natural signs are written (if a sharp or flat is removed from a key signature). It doesn't stay that way for the following lines, but they do put them in key signatures to make sure players don't miss a note.

Haha, when you start really learning the key signatures I can send ya little sayings for those as well.

# - father charles goes down and ends battle

b - battle ends and down goes charles' father

???

That works, too, but ours were a little more... shall we say politically incorrect? :D

Yeah, I know basic crap like flat and sharp. I don't know if I wanna learn how to read music, I know it's really helpful, but how long will it take and how hard is it?? I just wanna be a competent musician, ya know. Like I can REALLY jam with others. I guess I'll go learn the circle of fifths. I've heard a few times it's pretty important. Thanks guys, but I'm still pretty confused. :D

No...there is no natural sign in a key signature.  Only sharps and flats.g theory study.

If you change keys in the middle of the song, natural signs are written (if a sharp or flat is removed from a key signature). It doesn't stay that way for the following lines, but they do put them in key signatures to make sure players don't miss a note.

And this has what to do with learning basic key signatures? Someone comes saying they're confused, and you want to confuse it even more by adding more than what was asked?

No...there is no natural sign in a key signature.  Only sharps and flats.g theory study.

And this has what to do with learning basic key signatures? Someone comes saying they're confused, and you want to confuse it even more by adding more than what was asked?

It is relevant so that if he DOES come across a natural sign in a key signature, then he will know why. It is you who are at fault for mentioning something that he probably would have missed anyway. When I explain things, I try not to leave anything out. It was you who thought they knew everything and got this conversation of topic in the first place....

Now, back to the discussion at hand. Bill, in order to be a competent musicians, you really do need to learn how to read music. It isn't nearly has hard as it seems at first. If you are really gung-ho about this, you may want to talk to someone out taking some classes. It is MUCH easier to learn this stuff with someone teaching you rather than trying to learn yourself. Once you learn how to read, you will realize just how easy it is.

It is relevant so that if he DOES come across a natural sign in a key signature, then he will know why. It is you who are at fault for mentioning something that he probably would have missed anyway. When I explain things, I try not to leave anything out. It was you who thought they knew everything and got this conversation of topic in the first place....

'IF' is out of scope here!?! The material being referenced ONLY concerns itself with 'Major Key Signatures', nothing more!! Do you not get that? Going beyond the scope of what was referenced is not appropriate, it's like talking about Physics before someone has taken Algebra (extreme example). It’s simple as that.

In summary your original post included incorrect information, 'Major Key Signatures' DO NOT contain natural signs. What you are referring to is called ‘Modulation’ or simply ‘Key Change’.

...I don't know if I wanna learn how to read music, I know it's really helpful, but how long will it take and how hard is it?? I just wanna be a competent musician, ya know...

You can learn to play quite well without learning to read music, but it's the most precise way we have of describing what a musician does, so not learning is like attempting to practice architecture without geometry - you may pull it off, but you'll never understand why you did. Being able to look at a stack of dots and recognizing it as a particular chord, and vice-versa, will really open up your eyes. Theory is just arithmetic, with a few rules that you'll need to memorize - just take small bites, and don't let it get in the way of what you hear. It will help if you can reference what you learn to a keyboard, since your axe doesn't have any black keys.

I never really wanted to learn to read music, although it would be nice, I just wanna learn modes and crap. So, I won't just be hitting random notes, stuck in the box, or always just playing crap on a minor pentatonic. I see it all the time, and it sucks. I don't wanna end up like that....