Prs Style 7 String

I for one am glade that you did not wait a weak!! I was not sure that I could last that long with out seeing this thing all done up all I can say is

B) SEXXXXXXXXY :D

Oh and GOTM, GOTM, GOTM oh and did I say GOTM :D

Good work man you realy gave me something to work toward!!

!!METAL MATT!! :D

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, what happened to the headstock veneer? Change your mind?

I guess I'm going to give the DEFT clear a try next time. I did the fingernail check in the pickup cavity yesterday on mine and it's still very soft... I think I clear coated mine before you too... That's sucks..... Tick-tock...... :D

As far as the deepness, it's probably that pickup (EMG?)...? Especially if it's active. It seems that they get even deeper over time too (at least that's my experience with EMGs)...... Being a 7 string probably doesn't help either B)

I have a 6 string BC Rich with a 7 string set on it (minus an E, B-E-A-D-G-B ) with an EMG that I pull out of the closet every once in a while and I always have to adjust my pedals to brighten it up.... Sometimes I use the single coil simulator on my Digitech pedal on it and that really brightens it up.....

Edited by Gigabyte

Yeap, I decided not to do the veneer, Just because the nut was already in and I didn't want to mess with it. I did tried to stain the neck on the heel to see how the stain worked on it, and I didn't liked it, so I left it natural. The pup is EMG, is the equivalent as the 85 but for 7string. I did some tweaking on the GNX1 and now it sounds just right, I would still try with the 81/7 at a later date, maybe a 2 pup 7string, but I realy don't know since this is my first 7 and it feels weird playing it. The neck is nice and thin, not a wizard, but thinner than a strat and close to the Jackson I got. I turned around the first 3 saddles becasue I couldn't intonate the g string and now the buzz is down to a minimum but Istill can hear it when I play it clean :D , It will have to do for now bwcause there is no more money for this babe! And I want to get graphtech saddles for it to correct a bit of string spacing. I used nylon string to checked and it appeared to be correct, but the b string is sitting a bit more to the inside as it should, no biggie, just have to make the new notches were they are suppose to go B) , then it will be ready, I hope that this take care buzz, since I got no nut files to take care of making a new nut, if not, it will stay like that until I buy nut files. And I got this girl for heavy rythm work and I won't be using those strings open that often.

Gigabyte, also, I have used duplicolor and it took forever to dry too, and once it dried I polished it and about 3 months later I got some orange peel on it, after it was nice ans smooth as glass when I finished polishing.

As good as this DEFT is, I will like to use the one that Stew sells or than McFaden one that Grizzly sells. I know that they got to be better in a way or another. and then there is poly, as soon as I can get my own house this will be an investment I will do. Booth and all.

When you showed that piece of book matched maple, and later the tid bit dark stain on it.....I was bit worried where this was going ...

Next post suddenly appeared this wonderful figuring in the maple, with just the right blue color....... :D

Really dig that body.....and yes....I agree with most others.......

Do your own neck next time (but like most of us....there are just certain things in the process that scare us, or we feel uncomforable with.)

Cause Maiden....you understand you're suddenly our stain "Expert" ;-)

Edited by RGGR

Thanks guys, Wes, Maestro, that means a lot to me, when I got here you were a fdew of the guys I looked up to, like Drak and the others. RGGR, no I'm not the stain expert, even thoguh I did all the work on this one, I owe most of it to David Myka, I was in touch with him thru PM to ask questions about it. And I read Drak and Perry tutorials on how to stain. I posted Mykas earlier on the thread. Just follow this and it should be easy.

Sorry Maestro, I won't be using the veneer. to get it were I want I will have to thickness down the headstock and I realy don't want to take the risk off messing this one up. But from now on I will do them matching up. I even got a piece from the top bookmatched that I was planning on using for it, hopefuly next time.

She sounds great, I got no clips because my playing sucks. I can honestly say that my building is way better than my playing. I love guitars, they are my stress reliever, but I can't play much, so I turned around to building them.

same here man! and yours turned out so beautiful! hmmm if i was your i'd be careful about nitro i painted my guitar a week ago, and even though i polished it the next day, i can't leave it on my bed, or it'll get marked, i haven't tried the fingernail thing but i can assure you that there's no nitro smell in the room...

Hey eddie, is your nickname maiden related? iron maiden rules. I cant play that well, but im all about starting building... I hope to start very soon. But maiden, your guitar is hella sweet... good to see im not the only one getting into building... some say you gotta be able to play well to know how to build, but i dont think thats true... but regardless, your work is amazing.

Eddie, I have been playing it since I put it together yesterday and no marks whatsoever, I had that problem before and if it had marked with the nail, I wouldn't had touched it.

Moreau, that's is an international believe, I remember that Santana told the same thing to PRS when he went to show him a guitar for the 1st time, he even made him play with him, PRS was a good player and he freaked out when Santana told him to play with him. I think that you should know how to play, in order to set up a guitar correctly. But you don't need to be a virtuoso in order to make a guitar good.

Eddie, I have been playing it since I put it together yesterday and no marks whatsoever, I had that problem before and if it had marked with the nail, I wouldn't had touched it.

Moreau, that's is an international believe, I remember that Santana told the same thing to PRS when he went to show him a guitar for the 1st time, he even made him play with him, PRS was a good player and he freaked out when Santana told him to play with him.  I think that you should know how to play, in order to set up a guitar correctly.  But you don't need to be a virtuoso in order to make a guitar good.

Good you didn' have those problems man!! i still do B) but still my guitar looks gorgeous, wish i had a digicam, i'd love to show it here, think of a neck thru body BC Rich Assassin with arched top and the rosewood rails, and i have heard that too, that in order to build a guitar well you gotta be a great player, man, I SUCK, make sid vicious look like Steve Vai, Moreau, my nickname isn't related to Iron Maiden in any way! hehehe, Eddie is what people calls me, and warlocks my favorite guitar model :D

News Flash, the guitar is apart, at least the headstock is. I Hate Peer Pressure!!!

DSC01909.jpg

DSC01914.jpg

I will update as I go along. Now is just siting pretty for the black to dry. then sand back adda bit of dark blue, sand back then the bright blue, I got to go careful here since I can't soak the wood or the veneer will raise.