Prs Style 7 String

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Darren, if it was my choice I would have gotten the abalone inlays, but it was already done and funds were short, but I learned a lot from this project and the next one should be better. And yes, I was waiting on the bay until this auction was about to close, I couldn't believe my self that nobody bid on it until the last 15 min, I bid, somebody tried to take it away with almost a min left and I hit again and got it. the top is 15/16" thick, this is why the walnut looks thin too. and the carve looks amazing up close, and I'm sure it's because of the top thickness.

RGGR, I know, but at this point, it was more cost effective to get a premade one. I already point out that I want to make my necks, but I want them to be perfect, not good, so Iwill buy all the tools I need for freting before makin one, I think fetting is 90% what makes a neck great!

Erik, I didn't thought about weighting it until you asked, but it is light very light.. hold a second...OK, just got back from the room and it tip the scale barely touching the 7 lbs line by itself, and I did the weight my self then grab the guitar and weight again thing, (because I thought that 7 was too light and it gave me the same, so it weights 7 lbs.

I must add that this walnut was very light. I think it's like ash, you can get a heavy piece or a light one, And I got another piece in the shed enough to make another guitar.

Perfection takes time. I understand wanting to do a perfect job. On my first guitar I wanted everything perfect (doesn't everyone :D), but the fretwork just wasn't (along with a few other things of course). I didn't do much fretwork at all before I did my neck, so that could have something to do with it. If you've never done a fret job, it doesn't matter what tools you have, it won't be absolutely perfect. If that was true, there would be many more greats in the world of fretwork. I understand your hesitation, but you never get better until you gain experience.

Thanks Darren, I will consider those, looks interesting. A bit pricy for my budget right now, but I can get them in a few months, so it will be a good summer add on.

I undrestand your point, and respect it, but I know that Ican do a decent job, I have done a few level, but since I got no crowniong tool, I don't get too much into it. And I know I can do it with a 3 face file, but why go to such trouble when there are tools specialized for the job. I can wait, I'm not in a hurry, got a lot of time left to practice this out.

I'm just saying if you want a perfect neck it could possibly take a few goes at it. Then again you might be born to do fretwork. I agree with the fret crowning comment. I never could get a good even apex with a triangle file. If you can find some crappy guitars at a pawn shop (or somebody's trash) to practice on it'll help alot, and there's not much to lose.

I got 3 sitting here and a cheap neck that I will practice on before touching my main 2 guitars, and believe me I will make several necks before maybe using one of them in my guitars. I am practicing on some cheap 2X1 and other craft wood that was layiing here in the shed when I moved in just to get a hang of the profiling, and I did, changed the profile in the green guitar I made and it turn out nice. So yes, I will make them, but it will be a while.

When i was taught how to crown frets, it was simply a matter of using sandpaper and the fleshy part of your thumb to get a nice, round crown after leveling. (A bit of tape on your thumb will help prevent blisters.) This worked perfectly fine for me on the few level/crown/polish jobs i've done.

Keep in mind that StewMac is in the business of selling tools, so they are a little biased and will want you to buy a new tool for every little specialized task.

I understand this and there are tons of tools at Stew that Iwill never buy, but neck work, like crowning frets, nut files, fret sloting saw, the arbor press (which I might end making one myself), and the radius blocks (I know tere is a tutorial on this, but I don't think I will make mines.) are a few of the tools that I will definately buy! Edge dressing, fret leveling and other can be done with regular tools at any shop, or I can make my own.

RGGR, I know, but at this point, it was more cost effective to get a premade one. I already point out that I want to make my necks, but I want them to be perfect, not good, so Iwill buy all the tools I need for freting before makin one, I think fetting is 90% what makes a neck great!

Maiden I totally understand where you are coming from. I personally dove in head first.

No experience in all this what so ever. (Heck, picked up my first guitar 1.5 years ago)

Currently getting very close to fretting stage, making sure I read up on the subject and talking to some guitar repair guys on the way.....

In the end there comes a time you are running out of excuses and simply have to dive in. That's what I'm currently doing. Must say I'm enjoying the cr*p out of myself.

It's just cool building nice guitar......but I guess that's why we are all here.

And yes, perfection is what we all strive for. Nice guitar with crappy fretjob is still crappy guitar.

Must say your PRS has inspired me big time for my neck project.

:D