New Metallica CD

hezochiah

What do you think of ST ANGER  

58 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just wondering what you guys thought of the new disc. I just got it last week and am really diggin' it. :D

The dvd that comes with it is a cool feature, because you can try and see how they are playing the riffs. I just wish they had some solos in it. But overall I think it kicks ass. B)

you have to understand where i am coming from with this.i was a fan since about '85 and these guys were gods.then they came out with the black album.that and everything after it has been a sell out.if you don't believe me consider the how age group of the target audience changed from late teens to early and pre teen.songs about the sand man and king midas only appeal to youngsters.

but more than the content the guitar changed too.no longer were they epic multilayered masterpieces such as master of puppets or frayed ends of sanity.they became cheesy 3 and 4 minute forays into riff milking and unimaginative crap.kirk hammett went from a man who cherished his instruments to one who threw them as high as he could and dragged them across the stage.

i truly believe the members of metallica were abducted,killed,and replaced by aliens(from the planet lame-o)in the early 90's :D

want to see a cool dvd;get cliff em all and you will see how metallica used to be.for a fan from way back like me,what happened to them is incomprehensible.

i haven't heard the new one

but i've got to agree with wes

i was a huge fan myself, i think they were good(getting better and better)

up to master which was really really good

and then justice was brilliant(kirk's best playing IMHO)

even though lars snare sounded shocking using a piccolo snare(i think)

then black came out and it was like oh uh... it's a good mix..some good ideas and melodies but where are they going with this? and who is this fu*k bob rock?

then load and reload=a couple of good tunes but basically shite

still, i really want to hear the new one :ph34r:

bear in mind tis just IMHO :ph34r:

Hey all, just picked up the new disc as well. I'm digging it too. All I've been reading is how crappy it sounds and boring it is with no solos. Heres my take: yes I would like to see some more lead work but it definately reminds me of my punk rock roots (Metallica were always huge Misfits fans for those who didn't know already.) People who say they don't know how to get a good studio sound are F***ing crazy. This was intentional to bring new life into the music and set it apart from the overproduced garbage spewed all over the radio nowadays. These songs are angry and aggresive, probably cause of James' rehab stint and the departure of Jason. As for the album being plain and not as textured as earlier stuff, it just gives them more of a platform to go off on live, don't think that because there weren't any ripping solos on the album they won't be there live. Also this disc has a couple of almost free jam spots on (ie St. Anger verse) I'm interested to see whats done with these live. And...for those who have never seen or heard Robert Truijlo, your in for a real treat. I've seen him a few times with Suicidal Tendencies and he rips. BTW I also have an original CLiff em all on VHS and it does rip.

well my opinion shouldnt really even count so dont be offeded by it. Im not a huge metalica fan, my favorite album is black. but any way-

i think the new album sucks! up here the big philly station 94.1 pushed this album like it was the biggest thing since boob jobs! and then it came out and they barely play it.ha ha

the snare is horrid! the guitars sound like poo and the whole song texture on st anger is retarted! it does not have a good melody, there no hooks to keep me interested, and his vioce his crap!

im sorry but if that is the best they have to offer than i will never buy the album! oh well im sure the diehard fans will buy that crap but i wouldnt use it as a coaster for my beer letalone something id listen to! but hey thats just my opinion! :D

well my opinion shouldnt really even count so dont be offeded by it. Im not a huge metalica fan, my favorite album is black. but any way-

i think the new album sucks! up here the big philly station 94.1 pushed this album like it was the biggest thing since boob jobs! and then it came out and they barely play it.ha ha

the snare is horrid! the guitars sound like poo and the whole song texture on st anger is retarted! it does not have a good melody, there no hooks to keep me interested, and his vioce his crap!

im sorry but if that is the best they have to offer than i will never buy the album! oh well im sure the diehard fans will buy that crap but i wouldnt use it as a coaster for my beer letalone something id listen to! but hey thats just my opinion! :D

took the words right out of my mouth.and scott i agree wholeheartedly!the first thing i noticed was lars drowning out the guitar riffs with his bucket.and i am sorry but the guitar riffs are sophmoric.something a 12 year old would write.

i am telling you they used to be GODS to me.i still listen to their old stuff and am amazed by the creativity of riffs such as the chorus riff to "jump in the fire" or the entire "master of puppets"album.listen to "the call of ktulu"it is BRILLIANT!!!no metal band EVER wrote like that.they wrote the book on thrash metal.their music was inspiring,thought provoking,and theoretically exceptional.

then came death in the form of the black album.the beginning of the end.metallica died that day and i will always mourn the loss.

by the way i hope none of this offends any of you but metallica will always fuel rage in the hearts of many old school fans.

by the way kirk hammett is the reason i started playing guitar and james hetfeild is the reason i downpick the way i do.

WOW.. I never thought one of my posts could produce such hatred... Just kidding guys... I can totally undertand where you are coming from. I first got into Metallica with the Black Album and thought it was the best thing I had heard up to that point. But after listening to Puppets and Lightning and their other early stuff i realized how good they really were. I didn't like anything after the black album but do like this new one. Oh well, I guess we all have different tastes...

Y'know I haven't heard the CD, but the title track jut sounds like a band

trying

too

hard

The "production" is sub Garage Days, bad. The frigging "CLANG CLANG CLANG" ultra-reverbed piccolo snare is annoying. The starts and stops reek of "look, we can still do this!" Unlike a lot of folks I didn't really care if Metallica started to suck after the Black album (and I like about 3/4 of TBA). If they were doing what they want that's all well and good. They were good at what they did I just didn't like it. This, however, sounds like a bunch of middle-aged millionaires trying to recapture their youth and that *ALWAYS* ends up bad.

My opinion:

Drums: Horrible, the snare sounds like it's a 2" piccolo being beaten with a redwood tree. The rest of the kit sounds terrible too. I can record better sounds in my basement.

Guitars: Weak. no solos, why is Kirk Hammet there? If there are no solos, James Hettfield can play by himself.

Bass: Unimpressive.

Lyrics: Ridiculous. Even some of the high school kids around here write better lyrics than this crap. "I'm madly in anger with you, I'm madly in anger with you, I'm madly in anger with you." What the hell is that?

I loved Metallica when I was growing up. I still listen to Kill 'em All, Master of Puppets, ...Justice, and yes even the black album. I think everyone should just download the album to piss Lars off. I usually don't condone downloading music that isn't given out by the artist. But in this case, don't waste your money.

i guess I better get up, go out and buy it

In my opinion, Metallica died after Kill 'em All. Yes, their masterpiece is Master of Puppets, but many songs in that album don't sound thrash metal to me.

Maybe it was because they fired Mustaine... Megadeth was real thrash until Rust in Peace. That's their masterpiece, but it's not like anything they did before. I mean, Lucretia (one of my fave songs) isn't thrash! But... :ph34r: MegadetH ruled, rules and always will :D.

Oh, we're talking about Metallica.

I listened frantic, live. Only 2 minutes. I sayd to my friends (real Metallica fans, they would buy a bucket filled with Hetfield's **** for $1000) that sound was like industrial... But, that was live, and no one knew the other album tracks... Then I listened to St. Anger, from the video. Good video, but... Hetfield raps. No more "Yeah!" but that nasty "you flush it out, you flush it out" thing. Anyway, the song was powerful, but there were no solos. Well, at least they're not doing that gay stuff they did on Load & Reload. But... then I listened to the album. Or at least I tried. I managed to go through the end. Well, 75 minutes of the same "snare/frying pan" sound, riffs seems too similar, Hetfield sucks, and it reminds me some of that nu-metal, crossover things...

What else can I say?

Metallica, I'm in anger with you B)

Kill 'em all, do you guys remember? Kill 'em all.

Saying that... Megadeth rules.

*Alchool starts listening to peace sells... but who's buyin'?*

peace sells is great!raw,angry,and totally original.but do remember that metallica was never totally thrash even on kill em all.they were the "new wave of british metal" and then they became totally unique by master of puppets.the guitar work is brilliant on that album.but if you want thrash listen to exodus.check out sadus.but losing mustaine was the best thing to ever happen to metallica.they brought in kirk(who was a founding member of exodus BTW)who wasn't a heroin addict,and ended up with a tighter band.remember on cliff em all that mustaine was TERRIBLE on lead.and metallica already had a great rythm guitarist.

and the biggest benifit?we got three great bands out of it.metallica,exodus,and megadeth.all of them pioneers.and mustaine eventually cleaned up and became the great guitarist we know and love today.i am anxious to hear his new stuff.

remember on cliff em all that mustaine was TERRIBLE on lead.

Yes, that was because he was always drunk/high.

But the Mechanix solo, that on the four horsemen is played by Kirk Hammett, was Mustaine's. You can listen to it on Megadeth's Killing is my business... and business is good. Mechanix, said Mustaine, not that s**t like The Four Horsemen.

I know who exodus are. I'm listening only to thrash metal :D.

I can't wait until 2004 to hear Mustaine's solo album B)

tomorrow is the show, i´m gonna watch them

i love the cd, i´m not talking noway about how they do not use all their potential playing or the dirty sound or the non existing production. but i just like how it sounds, and i do believe it´s got the right name, i feel the rage in the voices and the mad guitars

first time i heard it it was strange, i expected killing riffs as it always had been, but there's a totally different concept in this album i think, and i´m not a total metallica fan, as you would be thinking.

BTW those who said this is like nu metal, well it seemed to me the first time, now i say this is what i would call trash metal, just because lars is playing a bin instead of a drum XD

remember on cliff em all that mustaine was TERRIBLE on lead.

Yes, that was because he was always drunk/high.

But the Mechanix solo, that on the four horsemen is played by Kirk Hammett, was Mustaine's. You can listen to it on Megadeth's Killing is my business... and business is good. Mechanix, said Mustaine, not that s**t like The Four Horsemen.

I know who exodus are. I'm listening only to thrash metal :D.

I can't wait until 2004 to hear Mustaine's solo album B)

yes mustaione has played some good leads.he is very one dimensional in that area though which is why he hires people like marty friedman.i used to only listen to one style of music when i was your age.soon though you will get bored and branch out.now i listen to everything from morbid angel to jewel.

make no mistake i am very familiar with ALL of mustaines work. i admire him greatly especially since he cleaned up.he also cowrote the call of ktulu which is a great piece of music.i am very informed when it comes to that genre of music.you didn't mention if you have heard of sadus.check them out you won't be sorry.how about vio-lence?if you like thrash you will love them.nuclear assault?testament?death?check those guys out.(don't mistake my intentions i am not questioning your knowledge i just think you may like these bands) :D

you didn't mention if you have heard of sadus.check them out you won't be sorry.how about vio-lence?if you like thrash you will love them.nuclear assault?testament?death?check those guys out.(don't mistake my intentions i am not questioning your knowledge i just think you may like these bands) :D

Yes, i know them. But I just can't find anything I like in Death. Sorry B).

We're doing a Death cover (Misanthrope from Symbolic) with my band, but I'm playing it just because they like it. It would be better if we do Slayer's Angel of Death...

Ah, forgot to mention, I LOVE TESTAMENT...

finally heard a song off st anger

don't know what song though, it wasn't st anger....

anyway.............

....oh god........

......................total shite!!!!!!!!!

i can't believe a song like that could be written by one of the greatest bands ever

...i'm so disappointed

even after everyone saying it was ****, i thought it could be ok, i might like it

i still want to see the live dvd though, surely their live show is still worth watching :ph34r:

Bought the CD yesterday, put it in, listened, skipped to next song, listened, skipped to next song, hmmm great intro...whoa what the @#$% uh I guess i need to listen again and give it another chance :D