New Metallica CD

hezochiah

What do you think of ST ANGER  

58 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

i still want to see the live dvd though, surely their live show is still worth watching :ph34r:

Hell no! It's just a rehearsing section recorded with cameras! There's no crowd, no old songs, all they do is playing the new songs in the same tracklist as cd's.

The only good thing is seeing their instruments, they're always changing. I love Trujillo's Chrome Illusion bass :D.

But it's toooooooooooooo boring.

finally heard a song off st anger

don't know what song though, it wasn't st anger....

anyway.............

....oh god........

......................total shite!!!!!!!!!

i can't believe a song like that could be written by one of the greatest bands ever

...i'm so disappointed

even after everyone saying it was ****, i thought it could be ok, i might like it

i still want to see the live dvd though, surely their live show is still worth watching :ph34r:

they suck live anymore.they do this crappy thing they call the "metallimedley" where they only play bits and pieces of all their old stuff back to back.just when you start to enjoy one song...ooops!here's another one. :D

they suck live anymore.they do this crappy thing they call the "metallimedley" where they only play bits and pieces of all their old stuff back to back.just when you start to enjoy one song...ooops!here's another one. :D

I saw them on the Re-Load tour (my ex got me free tickets, box seats even. Ahhh, it was good to be me). They didn't do this. I saw them on the Justice Tour and they didn't do this. Oddly, this is on Live ****: Binge and Purge during The Black Album Tour, which I didn't actually go to. So I don't know if this is a regular part of their set or not.

The Kill-Ride Medley?

Sounds a lot like Dream Theater's "Instrumedley" from the 6DOIT tour... John goes right up to the solo in Erotomania... and shifts. Argghhhh! B)

I saw them on the Re-Load tour (my ex got me free tickets, box seats even. Ahhh, it was good to be me). They didn't do this. I saw them on the Justice Tour and they didn't do this. Oddly, this is on Live ****: Binge and Purge during The Black Album Tour, which I didn't actually go to. So I don't know if this is a regular part of their set or not.

they didn't do it on the justice tour.i saw that one too.that was when they were great.the black album tour is when they did it and i have not paid good money to see them since.

let me see if i can explain my feeling on this issue:say you have an ex girlfriend that you still love very much.then the next time you see her she is with a crack smoking fiend who has had sex with every nasty ho in town.imagine the pain you would feel knowing that she abandoned everything that made her special to you.that is how i feel when i listen to what metallica has become.(yes i loved them that much)

ok i have had st anger for a few days now so here is MHO,

after listening through a couple of times i've noticed there really are moments of brilliance on this album

unfortunately almost every song has atleast 1 moment of utter shite

take the song st anger for example, there's some really good stuff in that song but certain bits like that overdubbed "flush it out, flush it out!",

"madly in anger with you!", and lars godawful snare really ruin it for me

but to tell you the truth i can listen through the album and really enjoy it

but there are still moments where i cringe

the dvd is much better than the cd IMHO, sounds better, looks good,

and although there are more mistakes(while singing...etc)

it tends to let the old metallica sound(especially hetfields voice) shine through

just my humble opinion

how much did that cost me? ...2 cents?? :ph34r:

dude,two cents?!!!      are you crazy???????

you could buy to swedish fish from the candy store for that kinda cash!

and they would be more enjoyable, and you wouldnt find yourself cringging at all!

Good point. Swedish fish are excellent.

• 1 year later...

I wasn't going to post here since somebody brought it back from the threads cemetary, but I love all the points that Wes brought in here and the thread was started on my birthday so I got to write on it... :D ... Metallica now sucks, they better get their act together if they expect me or the old fan to buy anything fom them,

!!METALLICA SUCKS NOW!! St anger is crap flat out. The only way they can redeem them selfs in my mind is if thy build a time machine and travel back in time and beat the crap out of them selfs for puting out this garbage

as for the nu metal kids I would sugest some real music like DEATH,EXTOL,ZAO,CALLENISH CIRCLE,

ANACRUSIS,IMMORTAL SOULS,ACOUSTIC TORMENT,AMETHYST,NOIZ,OVERKILL,

INDWELLING, So try them out AND STOP LISTENING TO METALLICA!! :D

thanks

!!METAL MATT!! B)

Edited by !!METAL MATT!!

• 2 months later...

I have all of metallica cds and everything before black album and st anger i like. Stuff between that i really cant relate to. St anger definitely does lack solos that i could listen to time and time again but i think the cd was more to deal with their pain in stress. I think thats why its a little loud. And the whole thing about metallica selling out i think is a little out of place. Technology changed and you cant repeat and album. When cars were made, i dont think people that walked everywhere kept walking due to the fact thats how life used to be. I just think they changed because everything else was changing too

[quote name='!!METAL MATT!!' date='Sep 2 2004, 02:09 PM'] !!METALLICA SUCKS NOW!! St anger is crap flat out. The only way they can redeem them selfs in my mind is if thy build a time machine and travel back in time and beat the crap out of them selfs for puting out this garbage
as for the nu metal kids I would sugest some real music like DEATH,EXTOL,ZAO,CALLENISH CIRCLE,
ANACRUSIS,IMMORTAL SOULS,ACOUSTIC TORMENT,AMETHYST,NOIZ,OVERKILL,
INDWELLING, So try them out AND STOP LISTENING TO METALLICA!! :D

thanks

!!METAL MATT!! B) [/quote]
Just cause YOU dont like it it doesnt mean you have to tell everyone else what to think!!!!
Metallica put out an album they were proud of and they spent time writing this and all you can do is diss it??? If you dont like it its fine with me but dont tell everyone else what to think!!!
As a musician you cant always come up with hit songs, you have to take chances.
Im a musician and i write songs. Sometimes people dont like my songs but they dont go around dissing them. I put time and effort into them and metallica does too. Then guys like you go around dissing what the musician loves doing.
Sorry if i kind of exploded but I just cant accept that kind of remark.

I myself dont like St Anger so this has nothing to do with the cd but with your whole attitude towards peoples art!!!

( i meant all of this this in a constructive and not destructive way ) :D

I want to clear up a misconception about the sound of the St. Anger album, especially the drum sound. All this stuff like "didn't they realize how bad the snare sounds, etc." is total nonsense. The album was produced and recorded by Bob Rock. I do alot of studio/mixing work and the black album is still one of the most famous productions in terms of sound and money spent that was ever released. It is still a benchmark for the sound/production of most heavy albums and thousands of audio engineers in the heavy rock field take it as their reference when mixing. This album was produced/mixed by Bob Rock the same guy who did the production/recording of St.Anger. St. Anger sounds exactly as it does because that's exactly what Bob Rock & Metallica wanted it to sound like. It's not because they did not knew how to mix it better. It was recorded with expensive gear and mixed by the best people in the industry. That said I am not a big fan of it's sound but the sound is VERY good for what they wanted to achieve. In the whole sonic picture this mix is excellent although the individual instruments sound very uncommon. The snare for example is called as sounding like a trash can by most people. Still the sound of the snare on this recording is very special and you can hear with which attention to detail it was mixed/recorded. I bet you would have a VERY hard time reproducing exactly that sound.

[quote]Just cause YOU dont like it it doesnt mean you have to tell everyone else what to think!!!!Metallica put out an album they were proud of and they spent time writing this and all you can do is diss it??? If you dont like it its fine with me but dont tell everyone else what to think!!!As a musician you cant always come up with hit songs, you have to take chances.
Im a musician and i write songs. Sometimes people dont like my songs but they dont go around dissing them. I put time and effort into them and metallica does too. Then guys like you go around dissing what the musician loves doing.
Sorry if i kind of exploded but I just cant accept that kind of remark.I myself dont like St Anger so this has nothing to do with the cd but with your whole attitude towards peoples art!!![/quote]

Well you are all about to witness an extreamly rare thing!!!! IAM SORRY there it is
Oh Wait one more YOUR RIGHT there's another one. It is not for me to tell anyone what to do or think my attitude was way out there I will give metallica some respect for what they did in the past and for still trying and makeing a go of it I never wanted to become know as [guys like you] so I will fix that now to each his own right so thanks for good hard kick in the ass and I hope none of my past remarks where taken to heart by anyone. So thanks for the constructive head knoking ultraman

!!METAL MATT!! :D

[quote name='!!METAL MATT!!' date='Nov 23 2004, 05:22 PM'] [quote]Just cause YOU dont like it it doesnt mean you have to tell everyone else what to think!!!!Metallica put out an album they were proud of and they spent time writing this and all you can do is diss it??? If you dont like it its fine with me but dont tell everyone else what to think!!!As a musician you cant always come up with hit songs, you have to take chances.
Sorry if i kind of exploded but I just cant accept that kind of remark.I myself dont like St Anger so this has nothing to do with the cd but with your whole attitude towards peoples art!!![/quote]

Well you are all about to witness an extreamly rare thing!!!! IAM SORRY there it is
Oh Wait one more YOUR RIGHT there's another one. It is not for me to tell anyone what to do or think my attitude was way out there I will give metallica some respect for what they did in the past and for still trying and makeing a go of it I never wanted to become know as [guys like you] so I will fix that now to each his own right so thanks for good hard kick in the ass and I hope none of my past remarks where taken to heart by anyone. So thanks for the constructive head knoking ultraman

!!METAL MATT!! :D [/quote]
yeah,sometimes it is tough to be fair when you feel betrayed by a band...but of course ultraman is right.even though i hate to admit it in the case of metallica

[quote name='ibreakemineedtobuildem' date='Nov 23 2004, 09:15 PM'] I have a question.Could the reason Metallica blows now a days be the producer?Remember the name Flemming Rasmussen?Was he more important to that classic sound then most realize? [/quote]
no.the band is ultimately responsible for the music,not the producer

[quote]the microphone and the mixing process doesnt make the sound, its just supposed to make it sound better and more equal.[/quote]

I hate it if someone with obviously no expierence tosses arreound statements like that. Ever recorded in a major studio? Ever mixed/produced a serious production? I gues no....

The mixing stage changes the sound of what is on tape so to speak dramatically especially for rock/metal productions. No drumset or guitar amp in real live sounds even close to what it sounds on a properly mixed/mastered cd.
And that is only the mixing. The mic placement and the recording room and the gear used have an even bigger influence on the end product. And who do you think makes all these decisions? Right....the producer/audio engineer. Ever heard the master tapes of a major recording in comparison to the final mix? The differences are huge and many times you cannot even hear much similarities in sound of single tracks(i.e. bass drum). A metal bass drum for example is mixed to have an insane spike at about 5 to 7 KHZ which is not audible when playing a real bass drum. This gives the clicking sound needed for double bass parts.

[quote]And even if they used the best equipment available just because its original it doesnt make it sound nice... [/quote]

Which is exactly what I wrote. I just wanted to state that Bob Rock and Metallica had the best audio engineers/equipment available to do the job. It sounds the way it does because that is what they wanted it to sound like. Not because they were not able to make it sound better or because they are ignorant. If you like the result is another thing....which I don't want to discuss because it is a matter of taste.

@Wes:

[quote]no.the band is ultimately responsible for the music,not the producer [/quote]

Hmm I doubt that. They don't have to write as the producer orders or put out music they don't like, but the producer/management has still a big influence. If you watched the some kind of monster video there is a part where Hetfield has a very cool song and fights with Lars about it, because Lars is unable to find a good drum groove for it. Anyway in the end the song and several others were canned by the label because the label did not like it. Additonally if you work with a producer you trust, you follow his suggestions/ideas. Otherwise you would choose someone else. I bet Metallica respects Bob Rock very much and he has a serious influence on their sound. That said I still think it's Metallica's decision to make the music they make today.

[quote]Hmm I doubt that.[/quote]

no it is the simple truth...i understand what you are saying about influence,but that is all it is.metallica is the name that is on the cd cover and if they did not like it,they should not release it.

i understand that bob rock once hid kirk's wha pedal from him because he didn't like the sound of it.to me that is overstepping the bounds and they should have sent him packing.personally i much prefer the sound of "master of puppets" over the black album.i realize the guitars are not as clear and the mix on the black album is much better from a proffesional standpoint,but "master" is so much more ominous and reflects the general idea of the songwriting better.or at least that is how i see it.

"the buck stops here!"

where does the buck stop?with metallica of course.think of how lame it would be if they fired bob rock,went back to their old kick ass style,and then blamed bob rock for the last 5 or 6 albums....he didn't write those simplistic riffs...he didn't sneak into their bedrooms at night and hum "st.anger" into their ears to subliminally influence them(at least i don't think he did :D )

they wrote it...they are responsible for the songs
[quote]
Anyway in the end the song and several others were canned by the label because the label did not like it.[/quote]

well if it was good they should have fought for it.at this point in their carreers i think they could buy out their contract and get a different label if they wanted...they COULD even do it themselves.but they don't want to.personally my opinion is they just kind of lost the drive.

isnt their record contract done now that theyve finished st.anger, so they could get a new contract or whatever, they dont really need a record companies promotion imo, they are so big the cds will sell themselves, me personally im just waiting to see how the next record is gonna turn out, supposedly they are already working on it while they are on tour

MzI