Building Necks...

Alright, I want to start an 8-string project, the body id almost done except for the neck joint, and well the neck! I was thinking of maybe building my own neck, altho, I don't know the dimensions of an 8-string guitar neck.. so if possible or if anyone knows, can someone send the dimensions to me? Also, it would be helpful if someone could point me in the direction of someone who can build 8-string necks (besides EKG and LGM). Thanks and let me know ASAP! :D

~Mike

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

heres what i did, with the suggestion of jeremy and a few others, measure the space between the strings on one of your guitars and add the space for the B and F# strings (if thats what your going to be tuning it to) i believe mine is 3 1/8th at the 24th fret, i will have to go double check but its pretty beefy! and building your own neck is not that difficult, just take your time and measure twice, then cut once!

heres what i did, with the suggestion of jeremy and a few others, measure the space between the strings on one of your guitars and add the space for the B and F# strings (if thats what your going to be tuning it to) i believe mine is 3 1/8th at the 24th fret, i will have to go double check but its pretty beefy! and building your own neck is not that difficult, just take your time and measure twice, then cut once!

thanks man! i dont know why i didnt think of this, but i can just email and ask jeremy the dimensions he uses too! lol :D

I have an RO and just adquiered an DA, and the DA is far superior for shaping than the RO. they both will get the job acomplished, but the DA just goes a lot easier than the RO, I have reshaped neck backs but I haven't made one complete yet, and I have used rasps and (I don't know the name) those thing that look like a cheese greater that are use for bondo on cars, then use the DA to smooth everything down, I think that Devons method is the easiest for the begginer, that way you won't go too deep or out of shape and a spokeshave is an awsome tool, one in my to buy list,

With regards to shaping the back of the neck. I have a large roundover bit that gets me to a fat boat style radius that I have used. I have sanded with RO,DA,and BS (ha, ha, ha...). I use spoke shave and shaper and a bit of rasp now. Shaving is soooo much faster and cleaner once you get the hang of it, I doubt I would ever do anything else (shaving takes me 1/4 the time sanding did). Unless..... if I had the proper sanding tools (that larger shops use) maybe I would go that way, but I do not.

Peace, Rich

The block plane would be mostly pointless, but plenty of people use sanders. I know a guy that builds for a living, and he does the majority of his neck shaping with a pocketknife.

Wow, thats actually motivation for me... I mean if he can do it with just a pocket knife, then sanding and all that shouldn't be all that bad. I just hope I don't f*ck up! :D

I have access to a 48" belt sander, and I use the drum on the end for neck shaping. I tilt the belt so that it is vertical with the drum on top, then just work the neck back & forth over the drum gently. It does take awhile and you get really dusty, but its pretty controlled. I use a 60-grit belt, then start at 100 grit on the orbital sander and go down from there.

I'll have to try a spokeshave sometime; maybe on my neck-thru bass (which will be too heavy to hold over the belt sander for very long...). It must be faster than sanding.

I thought I would post links to the tools I use for shaping the back of the neck.

1. Half round spokeshave.

2.Scraper set. Half Round

This is used for bringing down the transition to the body on a neck through.

3.Rotory Plane

Beyond that I use an 8" sanding block to double check straight lines,and a dried up sponge w/ sandpaper wrapped around it to smoothe the radius. I also like to take a piece of sandpaper and let it flex around(like buffing a shoe) the back (just a quick little pass or two, not removing much just smoothing).

Now I am really curious about how you use your chisels to shape the back of the neck. Could one of you guys that do it that way give me a quick run down on your process.

See ya, Rich