6 String Fretless Bass

so youre using two single coils? going for the jazz bass sound? jazzes are great. I love the look of the bobbins, very handmade looking. I love when something looks worn or odd, and turns out to sound a million times better than it looks. like getting beat beat by a dodge omni glhs. haha

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so youre using two single coils? going for the jazz bass sound? jazzes are great. I love the look of the bobbins, very handmade looking. I love when something looks worn or odd, and turns out to sound a million times better than it looks. like getting beat beat by a dodge omni glhs. haha

Thanks Chris :D

Edited by Phil Mailloux

What wood are you going to use for the covers?

EDIT: Oh and another thing, how do you count your turns? With some electric thingy, using your head or are you going by feel?

The cover woods are all leftovers from the bass itself, olive, purpleheart and wenge veneer, I should post the pics of the covers within a day or two.

I don't have a counter. I count by head.

i.e. I count the turns of the handle. Each turn of the handle gives 3.3 turns on the bobbin. Each time I reach 100 handle turns I make a mark on a piece of paper. Then it's just a matter of multiplying by 3.3 for the amount of turns that end up on the bobbin. So basically I see in advance how many turns it need then divide that by 3.3 and that gives me the handle turns I need.

I also wind to resistance. I check the resistance of the coil with a multimeter a couple of times during the wind and stop when I reach the output that I want.

Edited by Phil Mailloux

Erik, I will either epoxy the fretboard or CA it. I'm not sure yet.

And for today's update, as promised here's my pickup covers.

First pic, I started by choosing leftovers woods from this project that would look nicely together and glued it. It looks like a mess on the photo but it'll get better :D

Second pic, I routed the pockets freehand after measuring out everything.

Third pic, I attached a straight piece of wood to the top of the "pickup cover" material to rout the sides of the covers flush.

Here is the result. After that I handplaned this and shaped it with files and sandpaper

JL2089.jpg

JL2083.jpg

PURE BEAUTY------- :D -------I would love to hear more about the pickup covers there realy slick and what kind of a sound Are you going for with the pickups Or will that be a surprise! B)

And that fretboard DAM that's nice

!!METAL MATT!! :D

PURE BEAUTY-------  -------I would love to hear more about the pickup covers there realy slick and what kind of a sound Are you going for with the pickups Or will that be a surprise!

And that fretboard DAM that's nice

!!METAL MATT!! B)

You've pretty much seen all there is about the covers, the pics up there pretty much show all the steps. The only other part was finding the pieces of wood that would match well and give a nice touch to the covers once finished. I must've looked trough my scrap wood for 20 minutes just to find the two bit of Olive that would match for the two covers. I thought that the purpleheart bottom could be cool also since there's a couple of lines of purpleheart in the middle section of the body. I think it'll probably end up being even nicer once the finish is on the body. It should bring out the colors better.

Here's another picture of those bits of wood glued together before they ended up becoming two pickup covers.

JL2056.jpg

The pickups themselves should sound like normal Jazz Bass pickups, but with two additional strings :D They'll also go through an onboard preamp. I expect this bass to sound KICK ASS when its done :D (actually I don't smoke...) :D

This is, without doubt, the coolest project (and most beautiful!) ProjectGuitar.com has seen in a long, long while, and perhaps ever. The choice of woods is perfect, the body shape is perfect, the pickup covers are a FANTASTIC touch, the fretboard worked well; this project is ambitious, without being overly complicated. You've managed to combine an excellent sense of design with a beautifully uderstated design. Congrats.

By the way, the olive wood is the most perfect choice ever, and perhaps I'll be picking some up myself for a future project....

:DB):D

Awww shucks :D thanks Skibum. I'm really very happy with it. Olive wood by the way is damn rare to find. I was in the middle of olive tree land (meditterean part of France) and couldn't find it anywhere. I really got lucky.

Cudbucket, it is a bit neck heavy but didn't plunge towards the floor at all when I strapped it in. It just felt heavier on my left shoulder. I was also pretty surprised how light it seemed to be. Gotta weight this thing :D

• 3 months later...

Much to my surprise I never put pictures of the finished product on this thread. Since it's on the guitar of the month competition right now I might as well revive this ol' thread and put those pics up here too.

jl3054.jpg

jl3051.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v104/phi...loux/jl3043.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v104/phi...loux/jl3032.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v104/phi...loux/jl3025.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v104/phi...loux/jl3023.jpg

Wes,

Actually I gotta get used to that neck too, it ain't easy! :D If only I could get free time to play :D

I gotta find myself a good bass player over here in Brisbane to show me how good this thing can really be.

Skibum you posted faster than my reply to Wes B) Thanks again for the vote.

Edited by Phil Mailloux

If he truly has the hands to play that thing, his women must not complain much.

Not sure though....last rumor I heard was that Phil drives a Ford Pinto. :D

Still awesome instrument though. Show with bit of effort we all can get up to the Conklin/Alembic level.

Did the voting start yet??

:D

wow,much better than what my string bass will turn out,and i was thinking of doing a multi-wood fret board,but simpler,just maple and ebony,that is really good,i dont think anyone can explain how beutifull that is without using so many emoticans that it freezes your computer,i guess ur proud?lol.