Small Bridge With Customizable String Distances!

It's not bland at all. You're misunderstanding what this does. It's detecting the same vibration as a magnetic pickup, it's merely detecting it in a different manner. This will sound as bland or special as a pickup will, and it will sound as bland or special as the string sound of a guitar is.

All electric guitars sound like "rice" until you add a pickup to it - don't they? Well there you go, it's just a pickup like any other - the only differences are what I listed above, none of which make it more bland, only less bland.

Plus, you can't say this is MORE bland when it detects enough for you to tonally color it to the Nth degree, where a magnet is automatically shutting out tones which you can never recover for tonal color.

i personally like the sounds of my different pickups - surely this way is truly bland

like the rice of pickups!

tastes of nothing, you have to add flavour.

Edited by MasterMinds

what the optics picks up is essentially what your ear would hear without any tonal arrangement.

It's not bland at all.

surely if there is no tonal arrangement caused by this pickup, then there is no different between this and having no pickup at all (tonally wise obviously)

so what you get is the unaltered sound? correct?

but what i am saying, is that different pickups flavour sounds differently due to the magnets used, number of turns in the coil etc

i'm sure i'm missing your point completely, and you are missing mine too :D

Okay.......this is getting ridiculous. :D

First you start of saying you researched over 5,000 guitars and could find one that fitted your needs.

Then you make comment about one piece necks, and all that trussrod mumbo-jumbo. (not being aware of your most basis fender neck)

You want a flat headstock (same here)

Some mumbo-jumbo about scale length...then you have a thing for these zero frets, or compensating frets. (again not having some of the basics right)

And now suddenly we are on the topic of laser pick-ups.

Aihhhhhhhhh!!!

All in all I get the impression you're just a 14 year old kid whom have read some cool guitar ideas and decides (without proper overall knowledge) to throw these ideas around a bit too see what the response might be.

Edited by RGGR

On a similiar note - using a corective nut or zero fret, do you still need to adjust intonation on the bridge?

Thanks guys

zero frets dont compensate intonation! and corrective nuts are a waste of time and money, unless you have perfect pitch, or are **** retentive, then GO AHEAD!

Huh? perfect pitch? That doesn't exist.

I can easily tell when i press an F# that it's sharp, it doesn't take anything but a musicians to detect it - that's why it needs to be corrected.

Perfect pitch exists. But it is rare.

Most people (i.e. those without perfect pitch, like me) need to compare the tone we hear to another tone. I could tell you if that F# was indeed an F# if I heard an F right before or after it. Those with perfect pitch do not need to do this. They hear the same way we see. They can directly identify a tone without any other tone to compare it to. We do this with colors all the time. I dont need a red crayon next to me to be able to tell that I am holding an orange crayon. It can be quite a talent to have.

If you are saying any musician can do this, you are very wrong. If you are saying that by comparing two tones we can tell if that F is sharp, you are right. But as everyone else said, a guitar that is out of tune by a few cents isnt going to make a huge difference. Most people would be surprised how poor they're hearing is when they take a true ABX test....

Perfect pitch exists. But it is rare.

Most people (i.e. those without perfect pitch, like me) need to compare the tone we hear to another tone. I could tell you if that F# was indeed an F# if I heard an F right before or after it. Those with perfect pitch do not need to do this. They hear the same way we see.  They can directly identify a tone without any other tone to compare it to. We do this with colors all the time.  I dont need a red crayon next to me to be able to tell that I am holding an orange crayon. It can be quite a talent to have.

If you are saying any musician can do this, you are very wrong. If you are saying that by comparing two tones we can tell if that F is sharp, you are right. But as everyone else said, a guitar that is out of tune by a few cents isnt going to make a huge difference. Most people would be surprised how poor they're hearing is when they take a true ABX test....

I had a music teacher who was a piano player. If you blindfolded her and played a note on the piano, she could tell you which note in which octave you had just played. If you tried to trick her and played two notes together, she could tell you which two notes you had just played. On a good day she could do three.

That's perfect pitch.

I have a friend with perfect pitch. For her, it's a bit of a curse. She always hears when people play out of tune. In the days of vinyl and tape, she could hear when the turntable/capstan speeds were off.

There've been studies that show that in people who speak tonal languages, like Chinese, there's a higher incedence of people who have perfect pitch. One of the ways Chinese can detect regional "accents" is that the fundamental pitch is different, depending on where the speaker is from.

Anyone can learn to identify the note of the chromatic scale a given note is. Perfect Pitch is no mystery, and it's nothing special. There's plenty of programs that help someone develop it. It's as easy as learning to detect which sound matches which letter of a 12-letter alphabet.

I took one program which logged like 7 hours for me and I could do it for the piano range, I still don't have a use for it.

Anyone can learn to identify the note of the chromatic scale a given note is. Perfect Pitch is no mystery, and it's nothing special. There's plenty of programs that help someone develop it. It's as easy as learning to detect which sound matches which letter of a 12-letter alphabet.

I took one program which logged like 7 hours for me and I could do it for the piano range, I still don't have a use for it.

I'll bite, what's the deal? In your last post, you state explicitly that perfect pitch does not exist now you claim that you took a class and learned how to do it in 7 hours of practice? Good one. :D

On a similiar note - using a corective nut or zero fret, do you still need to adjust intonation on the bridge?

Thanks guys

zero frets dont compensate intonation! and corrective nuts are a waste of time and money, unless you have perfect pitch, or are **** retentive, then GO AHEAD!

Huh? perfect pitch? That doesn't exist.

I can easily tell when i press an F# that it's sharp, it doesn't take anything but a musicians to detect it - that's why it needs to be corrected.

Ahha...

It's not that difficult a set of sentences Marzocchi705, you shouldn't have much issue with it. Let me spell it out for you.

1. perfect pitch is not a mystery

2. it is however a non-existant ability people use to seem elite

3. learning to memorize 12 notes is not what perfect pitch is, and it's very easy to do.

Now, does Marzocchi705 get it this time, if not use babelfish.com and translate to your native language.

Edited by MasterMinds

Okay, so perfect pitch is not a mystery, it's a non-existant ability to memorize 12 notes?

Perfect pitch is a real observable ability.

http://perfectpitch.ucsf.edu/ppstudy.html

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2001/...10222074848.htm

http://www.abc.net.au/science/news/stories/s593744.htm

Pitch training can help develop pitch recognition. If your brain is wired correctly, you can develop perfect pitch. If your brain isn't wired correctly (for tones at least), no amount of training can help.

With your training can you distinguish, instantaneously, a 440Hz A from a 442Hz or a 438Hz A? Some people can, but, I don't know that all of them use that ability to "seem elite".

You're not only misquoting me, but completely confusing terms, and posting links which go directly against your statements.

Firstly, your brain is note "wired" for or against perfect pitch. THe second link you posted states that in the very first sentence. Did you even read it? It states that their studies show that "we are all born with this simple ability" which can be accessed - like any other ability - through practice.

Secondly, did you even bother to read the link you posted as "isn't wired correctly"? It has NOTHING to do with perfect pitch - it is about a woman in canada who cannot "carry a tune to save her life". That says absolutely nothing about recognizing a pitch and naming it - it refers to her inability to reproduce a mimicing tone herself

Thirdly, every article you posted clearly states that all subects developed an increase in ability to identify a note from the chromatic scale when practicing.

So seriously, know what you're posting - read the stuff - and recognize when you're wrong and let it die.

MM, I guess we share an innate ability not to recognize contraditions in our own posts.

From the second link:

"The work provides another example of how infants and adults hear and process sounds in fundamentally different ways.

But people eventually lose absolute pitch, Saffran argues, because it is simply too detailed to be functional in everyday life.

With absolute pitch, it may be a case of use it or lose it. Saffran says there are many studies indicating that people who learn musical instruments at a very young age have a higher incidence of absolute pitch."

That last nugget agrees with the first link.

"Based on the data collected from the surveys and the auditory tests, we found that most individuals with Perfect Pitch began formal musical training before age 6. This supports the hypothesis that early musical training may be necessary for the development of Perfect Pitch. However, early musical training alone is not sufficient for one to develop Perfect Pitch, as most individuals with musical training initiated before age 6 did not report that they possessed Perfect Pitch. We also observed that Perfect Pitch aggregates in families, indicating a role for genetic components in the development of Perfect Pitch. Indeed we found that a sibling (with early musical training) of a Perfect Pitch possessor is as much as 15 times more likely to possess Perfect Pitch than is another individual with early musical training but with no family history of Perfect Pitch."

I don't think you listened to the story or carefully read the story about the woman with amusia. Not only did she not have absolute pitch, she had incredibly poor relative pitch.

"One of Monica's problems with music is her inability to hear differences in pitch. Monica listened to a series of sequences made up of five tones. In each sequence, the fourth tone changed pitch. If the pitch was significantly higher, Monica could detect the change 60 percent of the time. If the pitch was lower than the others, Monica was unable to hear a difference."

They have audio samples of series of tones that she couldn't distinguish.

I would say that Monica's brain isn't wired for perfect pitch. There's probably a continuum in individuals ability or inability to develop perfect pitch. Suggesting everyone can develop perfect pitch is false.

Brains are amazingly complex, diverse, and not every ability is universal. Pick up an Oliver Sacks book, lots of cool stuff. There's a disorder (ability?) called synethesia. People with synethesia see letters or words in color. A synesthete looking at any book would see a rainbow of colors... and it isn't random. Specific colors are associated with specific letters/words. There's a theory that synethesia occurs for people whose written language functions and visual processing functions occur in adjacent regions of their brains and they're getting crosstalk. In as far as I know, if you don't have synethesia, you can't develop it through practice. Acid-heads might disagree with me.

MM, I'm not trying to bash you. You've presented some opinions as facts. They don't all jibe with my experience.

The key in all of these studies is that there is no clear answer to how perfect pitch is developed. Nobody has proven it is genetic, behavioral, etc. Each study offers evidence that SUGGESTS a genetic or behavioral and/or environmental link but doesn't come close to proving or disproving anything.

Obviously more study is needed. However, try to get a psychologist who is interested, and then try to get them funding and then...well, you get the idea.

So, I would say there really is a bit of mystery to it, it does exist, and not everyone can do it let alone learn how.

FYI - I recall reading an article a few weeks ago about a woman who detects distinct TASTES (i.e. sour, sweet, hot) in her mouth in response to different musical intervals. Pretty crazy.

Edited by Sparky