Solid Cherry Burst

Electronics:

Duncan JB @ Bridge w/ Chrome Cover

Evolution @ Neck wo/ Cover

Onboard booster

4 pots - 2 Vol, 1 Tone, 1 Boost Amount

3-way switch

:D

Next I will start routing, sanding and then carve the top.

Edited by suregork

Firebird

Pictures:

Roughly cut out body with neck

Specs:

Woods:

Alder Body

Spruce Top

Maple Neck

General:

25.5 scale length

22 frets

Wraparound bridge

Chrome and Gold Dome Knobs

Guitar Pick Holder

Metallic Blue Finish

Electronics:

3 unknown single coils with chrome covers

3 pots - 1 Vol, 2 Tone

5-way switch

:D

Next routing and sanding.

Edited by suregork

That's alota wood!

The neck joint on the Kelly looks a little small no?

It should be fine.. must be the picture..

why did you use so many peice tops on that firebird  :D

Is it just me or does that LP have a 9peice Lam top?

I bought an already laminated spruce board for this, and it contains quite many pieces, yes. :D

Are these the first guitars you have built or have you done others in the past? I would highly suggest finishing one at a time. I had about three I was trying to work on simultainiously and every mistake I made I did at least twice. I decided to concentrate on one and get it done right, before I attacked the others. Just my opinion. I like the bird' though!

First off, I don't want to be critical on your work, but you did post for comments. The main thing with having so many projects going at one time is that you can really stretch yourself out and forget to really put a game plan together for each guitar. But if you got you guitar building steps down to a science and have the confidence then I see no reason why you can't do more than one at a time. As far as the laminates goes, I'm guessing your going for solid colors, because like others have mentioned you would have been better off with a 1 piece or two piece if your planning on transparent finishes. So you must have already decided on solid colors to begin with? Correct me if I'm wrong...

Now I just was wondering if you knew that a normal Les Paul has a tenon and not a wide slot like a Fender Strat, but I can understand if your planning on making it a bolt-on neck though. Search for Setch's fine Les Paul tutorial he did a couple of months ago to see what I mean by tenon set neck. Here's a picture of your Les Paul neck pocket and some notes of intrest.

lespaul01.jpg

The other concerns I have is the tearout you had when routing the neck pocket, how are you planning on covering it up? Also, your router bit must be on it's last leg since it's really burning your wood bad, either that or your trying to cut too much with one pass or moving the router too slow. Is this neck going to have an angle? Normally if your going to equip a Les Paul guitar you'll want a standard TOM bridge, so your going to want at least a 2° neck angle. I know it sounds like I'm being critical, but I'm honestly just trying to help you out. I think that like Godin stated, you should really start using templates more, they will help you do cleaner professional work. I hope your projects turn out great, and as long as your learning, it's worth it!!

MaTT Vinson

Hmmm....

Matt, I think thats ink on the top of the body ( I could be wrong, but my spidey sense says Sharpie??). Maybe some of that tear :D out will get carved away (not sure what plans are in the works for carve). Tis a bit of a twist on the stock LP.

Suregork- A good clean pocket is really going to be important for a tight neck fit. I would really be sure to spend some time on it. I hope you know the critiques are meant to help, not to slamm. Please don't take them the wrong way.

Best of luck, :D Rich

Wow.. multi job ^^

i make 2 spruce top LP.. sitka spuruce top & Walnut back.. rosewood neck..

in my exprience..

spuruce top guitar's sound is very fast atack.. but no long sustain.. some cold sound..

good luck..

Thanks for all the feedback. Criticism is allowed, as it will help me improve for further projects. Neck is bolt-on, so no tenon, and I will have a neck angle. I'll try making some templates for the next guitar, and try being a bit more careful when routing :D. It's not all that bad though :D. I'll try to fill the places where the tearout can be seen. It will be painted with a solid cherryburst. There is ink on the body, not a burn mark..

Anyway... THANKS for your positive and negative comments, I appreciate all.. Today I routed the back cavities, and soon I'll route the pickup holes, and then I'll try carving the top... Trying to scan through the various methods of carving, and I'll probably do it with a sander-type way.. B)

Edit: Oh and by the way.. The thing you have pointed to as tearout on the picture is not actually a tearout, it is newspaper :D.. I'm not entirely sure what a 'tearout' is, as I thought it meant some kind of uneven routing, but there is definetly no tearout, if it is what I think you mean.. B) (I don't know if that edit was understandable)

Edited by suregork