low budget painting

well i'm cheap, and thus i'm going to take that road for painting my guitars untill i can afford to invest in some good spraying tools. I went to home depot and got some sander's sealer, stains, and outdour varathane laquer (supposedly "diamond" hard after 4 coats), all of which are water based for easy clean up and what not.

Anyways right now with the sanding sealer i'm just using those cheap foam brushe's (if you can even call them brushe's...) but i was woundering, once i get to doing the laquer coats, i should probably get a good brush for it, any recommendations?.

I've read some articles on the web that say a good brushed on paint job is better then any spray job, anyone here agree with that?

It all comes with experiance and your willingness to take your time. I bet it can be done since I've seen some kick butt French polishing with schallac that involved only a rag and an alcohol burner (plus plenty of elbow grease).

The roller that he used is the same that I have used before... to paint metal doors at work... but I'm just not brave enough to try on a guitar... I think If you don't know what your doing it's best to stick with spraying the paint on in some form.. but I might be totally wrong... yeah TSL is the king of the roller... so I'd look for his advice also... just make sure you get the right type of roller.. you wouldn't want one that applies it and leaves bumps and dips in the paint job... Maybe someone can point him to the right link that shows the pictures of the roller we are talking about... anyway Good luck

Matt

I think I got lucky with the roller in the first place.

Make sure it's suitable for laquer and looks somewhat like this:

roller1.jpg

I finished two guitars using this method and it works. It's not even hard to do, just very time consuming depending on the laquer you use.

I only used nitro and that can be rolled over after 10 minits.

It's not the painting that gives you a great finish... it's the sanding and polishing.

I know I should do a tutorial, but I simply don't have the time now.

If anyone has questions though, feel free to contact me.

Coen

I'm looking forward to that Coen... because I almost freaked out when I first saw your guitar and found out what kind of roller you used... Yeah... and now I can see why they call you the sanding king also.. lol... Hopefully you can finish another guitar and have step by step instructions.. maybe even on a scrap piece of lumber...

i think i used something very similar when i made this computer desk, and i think i only used one coat of laquer and the roller left like goose bumps but i didn't really care, i wasn't going to wet sand and buff a 20$ plywood desk.. good enough for a keyboard and some speakers:) what brand was your roller? does it seem really nice? or just your average foam roller that won't melt with laquer? and i'll have to pick your brain about all the stuff you did, after it, all the sanding and what not..

I've read some articles on the web that say a good brushed on paint job is better then any spray job, anyone here agree with that?

I honestly believe it is the talented person thats doing it, that will make all the difference in the world when it comes to a finish :D no matter what method they use B)

Brian you are correct.But would someone talented have to ask this question.With no disrespect to kd I think someone trying to get a good job without experiance in hand application would be wishfull thinking.

I asked myself would he get a better job by hand or spray.peace

good point woodfixer, but if i am a newb and i'm trying to use stains, a painting job where thickness is going to affect the shade of the colour, should i really be using a spray gun? i feel alot better with a brush or roller, just gives me more control so i can even things out colour wise. i duno i've always been afraid/hesitant of non self powered tools i mean, there's controls and an off switch, but i just seams like an elusion of safety

KD,what I reccomend is you use a clear spray cans since you don't have spray equipment.Once you have your stain color achieved use spray cans and you should be able to accomplish the same thing.

Use very lightly misted coats(alot) then finish with a wet coat or 2.This is just another opinion from another source.You gather all the advice you can and draw your own conclusion.Best of luck.I admire your searching for the correct way before you jump.