My Archtop Project

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks again A_J I want this guitar to say pick me up... I put the final coat on today!!! The humidity has been wicked and spirit varnishes don't dry in humid weather. Sometimes the third day for recoat. Like I said, never again. With any luck pics of final assembly this weekend. Next guitar is in the works, I may actually have a buyer. (fingers crossed) thanks for all the kind words, dkw.

ALMOST THERE!!! The tools of the trade. This is an antique finish, spirit varnish (with oil varnish not urethane) multiple coats, I think 10, sanded and padded into one another for build. Final sand with 800 grit on a foam backed pad to knock down the nubs then 3 grades of pumice/rottenstone with a felt block. Pumice works really well, cuts quickly, stays with the surface irregularities better than sandpaper and doesn't clog or gum. Final polish with Norton microfiber tack cloth and swirl remover hand glaze of your choice I use (Meguiars sp?) rub polish with a pad and finish off with tack cloth. It doesnt take that long to work up by hand, I can control the surface and don't burn thru. The varnish is still soft at this stage. I do all this on the cradle which is mounted on a lazy susan, this lets me rotate the guitar all around instead of me, and keep all the working surfaces in good light as I work. The final finish is beautiful, it glows, not a machine blasted gloss, but like I said, TIME, TIME, TIME! The work table is a 1935 Dodge stationwagon, entirely your option...

archtop010-1.gif

Edited by donald k wilson

Thanks everyone, this has been a great project and the forum has been a cool place to be, (thanks Jay5).

jer, keep going with the cnc we haven't scratched the surface. (no pun intended)

i-j-c, I love 335's I'm thinking of a travel guitar, I just checked out your post yesterday, looks great.

Final pics of this guitar in a few days after everything settles down, I'll do some detail shots. Thanks again everyone. dkw

• 1 month later...

Alright then! as promised here are some "real" pictures of the "finished" guitar. About a month of settling in, second set of strings, broken trussrod, (crap import!) and new fretboard. I have it dialed in now, action is very low like an electric, Daddario phosphor bronse 10's. Very responsive to different playing styles with good projection and full sound. It took longer to settle down than I expected but I made the neck very "thin" for a friend with small hands to try for size. I couldn't have hoped this would sound any better, I was prepared for disaster every step of the way. (I even got a couple!)

archtop001tn.gif