Beautiful Bubinga

I was searching through veneer on Ebay and came accross Waterfall Bubinga. I've never seen it before, but talk about beautiful wood.

Here's the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...8187386321&rd=1

This link is for 156 square feet which is a little much, but I thought I would throw it out and maybe someone would use it as an Idea for a guitar top. :D

There's a place near me that currently has a 10 foot long, 4 foot wide 8/4 slab of pomelle bubinga. The size, the figure...it is almost overwhelming, they won't say what they're saving it for. They've been trimming some offcuts...they want $100 for a back & side set for an acoustic, not a bad deal for that stuff.

Bubinga is a bear to bend I hear.

I emailed the seller, and the laminates are 1/42" thick. I didnt know people used laminates that thin on the tops of guits.

I think I might pick up some laminates if that is the case. Such a thin piece, if sanded correctly, would look nice as a tiny accent strip around the body. Anyone heard of this before? If so, any pics maybe?

I emailed the seller, and the laminates are 1/42" thick.  I didnt know people used laminates that thin on the tops of guits. 

I think I might pick up some laminates if that is the case.  Such a thin piece, if sanded correctly, would look nice as a tiny accent strip around the body.  Anyone heard of this before?  If so, any pics maybe?

yeah...it's used all the time.my opinion is that is the best way to go with figured woods such as this.

reason being that in my opinion these figured woods such as this,aside from flame maple,just don't sound good as a thick top...but with a veneer such as this,you get all of the beauty,yet your sound comes just from the rest of the wood of the guitar...

1) Waterfall Bubinga is a common eBay offering, it's offered at least on a weekly basis from Sstram and Though.

2) Ovation used Waterfall Bubinga as an honorary top for one of their anniversary models. Do a websearch on it.

3) I did a Vee completely in Waterfall Bubinga. Top, back, sides, the whole enchilada. Then removed it all, hahahahhaa!!!!!

As veneers go, it's pretty cool. But my standards are above 'pretty cool' I guess...

Amazing! I think this will be a good addition to my current project. I ordered an alright body blank from LMI, as it was my first and didnt want to invest in great woods to start. The project is turning out better than expected, however, so I think I might make up for the somewhat-sub-par-wood with this laminate. You can check the guit out in the in progress section.

So Drak, what would constitutes a "great" veneer in your opinion? The question is by no means incendiary in nature...I just want to learn from the forum greats is all.

In my opinion, bubinga is one of the most appealing woods. It combines the rawness of nice mahogany with the beauty of a sweet maple. I just love it!

Early on in my lutherie evolution, I tried a figured maple veneer and had quite a bit of trouble. It easily cracked along the grain, and was a bit of a pain to put down. Uneven application of glue led to some unseen high spots that quickly sanded through. Even though I could no doubt do a better job now, for me it was more hassle than it was worth.

Now I'll use it for laminate accents, but for tops I like to go with 1/16" or thicker, which is not quite "veneer". You probably won't notice an effect on the guitar's tone unless the top is 1/4" or thicker.

I emailed the seller, and the laminates are 1/42" thick.  I didnt know people used laminates that thin on the tops of guits. 

I think I might pick up some laminates if that is the case.  Such a thin piece, if sanded correctly, would look nice as a tiny accent strip around the body.  Anyone heard of this before?  If so, any pics maybe?

yeah...it's used all the time.my opinion is that is the best way to go with figured woods such as this.

reason being that in my opinion these figured woods such as this,aside from flame maple,just don't sound good as a thick top...but with a veneer such as this,you get all of the beauty,yet your sound comes just from the rest of the wood of the guitar...

I disagree on the sound of bubinga. I thinnk it sounds great! Now some woods DO sound like crap so a veneer is a good way too go but I think bubinga is one of them that sounds awesome. It's has a powerful tone that was good strong mids and slightly rolled of highs.