#3 (and Introduction)

I've been lurking on here for a while, and posted recently when I found another builder in my neighborhood :D

Here's a couple of pictures of my most recent build, which is finally at the end of nitro cure, and ready for final polish. It's my 3rd guitar, but this one was built in my finished basement without many tools, just in case anyone here was letting that stop them :D

before carving

body_unfinished.jpg

mid carve

carve1.jpg

after drilling pickup cavities (and chiseling) and drilling knobs

knobsdrilled.jpg

test string

CopyofIMG_0225.jpg

and after finishing (but not polishing)

sideshot.jpg

headstock inlay

elephant_with_tuners.jpg

I have a couple more pics of the double dye, if anyone's interested. Hope these pics aren't too big for the forum, I'll resize if necessary.

Hey cool man I love that color and what you did with the bridge good work

Iam not a real fan of the headstock inlay but that's just me and hey WELCOME TO PG :D

!!METAL MATT!! :D

Lookin good! I like the color of the top. I'm not sure what the inlay is suposed to be :D What kind of pickups are you putting in this thing? Whats the body made out of? BTW I really like your headstock design and body design. I think It's awesome that you diddn't just build a les paul copy like alot of people.

I'm not sure what the inlay is suposed to be

Hey Godin I think the inlay is the view of a head of an elephant from above B)

EDIT:No wait now I think it's a bull :D

I'm not sure what the inlay is suposed to be

Hey Godin I think the inlay is the view of a head of an elephant from above B)

EDIT:No wait now I think it's a bull :D

I think it's the front of an elephant. The elephant has its head tipped back with its' trunk up in the air. Like maybe it's trumpeting or something.

OH YA now I can see it I thought it had something to do with an elephant cool

Yeah, it's an elephant with raised trunk. It's a silhouette made from various different woods, and m.o.p. for the tusks. It wasn't supposed to be ultra realistic, but I have been getting an awful lot of "what is the inlay supposed to be" questions, so it may have missed it's mark.

The body and neck are mahogany, the top is 7/8" bookmatched flamed maple. The body was chambered a decent amount, as was the top, in some spots. The top has pretty amazing flame, the pictures don't really capture it. The price for that was that it turned into a potato chip while it was being shipped to me, so I fought it a lot to get it glued on (part of the reason the top was chambered in some spots).

The through body neck was bought from carvin, 24 frets, ebony board with no inlay, and blank headstock options. bought before they offered stainless frets, or I probably would have gone with them too.

The pickups are going to be Dimarzio Air Norton in the neck and Tone Zone in the bridge, with a push pull volume knob to tap coils.

I'll add some pics of the finish next post.

i think if you add some detail lines to the inlay it will look cool. i think you sribe then fill with black epoxy. i thought it was a mastadon at first. I dunno if you know the band. im not a fan of them. but i think the elephant is cool and very unique. i think i may go with a flying pig, seeing as youll prolly see one of those by the time i finish mine. lol. how did you do your carve? its great :D

hard to get a decent picture, but I guess it's definitely a little abstract :D

elephant3.jpg

it's an upgrade over my last headstock, I think

rm_headstock_small.jpg

finish step one: deep brown all over the top:

predyed1.jpg

finish step two: sand back

sanded.jpg

finish step three: amber dye on top

dyed2.jpg

then it was all spray can nitro from there :D

the carve was done with various scraping devices. it's a typical carved top, with a rounded edge like a flat top for forearm comfort. I don't see myself going through this pain again any time soon B)

dyed3.jpg

Hey Rob, good to see you showed up here.  It's Dave F. from the Carvin site.  BTW, did you use any grain filler?  Sanding sealer?

Dave

not on the maple top. it's straight nitro up there.

I used spray can sanding sealer on the mahogany back, but ended up sanding most of it off, making it essentially a "grain filler." I'm sure this wasn't the most efficient way of doing this, but with spray cans, it was all I had. And, I didn't want to try grain filling with one of the usual suspects because I was worried that it wouldn't look natural with my skills :D

thanks for the comments, everyone. I can't wait to buff this one out and assemble it and see how it sounds. the test stringing unplugged sounded crazy, but I guess the finish will change it a little.