Body Design

That is BUTT ugly! The best design yet was by Godin.

Why would you ask us your opinion, if you arent going to change your design? That is one of the most idiotic things i have ever seen. If you like your butt ugly designs, fine as long as YOU like them. Just don't come here and ask us our opinions and not take any advice. Its disrespectful!

Edited by AlGeeEater

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The left wing is promising, reminds me of the Godin LG I have... the right wing... I've seen nicer pieces of firewood. You could definately make it work though if you fix the proportions. The entire body looks too thin, widen it out abit, and even both pieces. Even then, it's not very original.

And GregP, I'm comfortable with my LG, until my leg falls asleep that is. But I have a PRS that's about the same weight and it feels like it's cutting my leg off. Godin's are great for me because I work next to the head-office :D

Why would you ask us your opinion, if you arent going to change your design? That is one of the most idiotic things i have ever seen. If you like your butt ugly designs, fine as long as YOU like them. Just don't come here and ask us our opinions and not take any advice. Its disrespectful!

i DID change my design a few times alredy since i last posted one here, but since you don't since to like them, i decided to stop posting them...

Anyways, i kinda fixed the propostions a bit... Raised the neck by a lot. I compared it with a PRS and my other guitar (both 25'' scales...). I've also gotten the tuners to line up correctly (not in this one thoug)

Here it is:

guit4.jpg

well, thanks again those of you who actually made helpful comments !

:D

EDIT: WHOA!!! i just saw my older version... this is an HELL of an improvement! Really, thanks for the feedback...

Edited by Pr3Va1L

Now this is a prime example of TACT!!! AlGee, if you read the post by Drak above yours, he is saying the same thing you did, but in a respectfull matter... remember the golden rule, if you ain't got something nice to say,...shut the hell up! .. oh, my bad, don't say it I should have said, this is why I haven't posted anything until now. You lost some cool points with that post!

Now, lets see, ..Why would he post it ot ask the opinion, and then change the design... ring a bell? No, well, how about the idea of, seeing what people say about it, and then come into conclusions, on how to make it more appealing, maybe to his eyes it was a magnificent design, but to somebody unbiased wouldn't,

This way he can get feedback, do a change here and there, get more opinions, then do more changes until he ge positive feedback! This is a technique used in marketing a lot!

Yes, I think Algee's post was exactly what I was trying not to do, which is completely ridicule the whole thing, use inflammatory lingo like calling him an idiot (which he is not), and browbeat the poster who was just looking for some feedback.

Algee, you bad boy. Apologize toPR3Va1L, then go sit in corner for hour if you want cool Maiden points back. B)

And it's actually looking much better now (did I ~really~ just say that?...yes, but in satanic tongue! :D )

And he was not being disrespectful in the Least, quite the opposite I thought.

I slammed the crap out of his design, I took his design and smashed it against the Wall Of Death, ...and he never said ONE retaliatory thing, I gave him major silent cool bonus points for showing that amount of maturity. :D

Here it is:

guit4.jpg

well, thanks again those of you who actually made helpful comments !

EDIT: WHOA!!! i just saw my older version... this is an HELL of an improvement! Really, thanks for the feedback...

The body shape now is more flowing and better looking than the 1st one, the elimination of the maple neck thru did made a big difference in the look, I think that maple neck thru on a dark bodied guitar should have to be laminated in order for it to look good.

Now the headstock needs a bit of work, if you are going for a 4X4 I suggest you look at the Carvin Holdsworth, that is if you are ordering the Carvin blank headstock, if not get the 6 inline. The string pull looks kinda off, on yours, I know it is not accurate, but just to check.

I'm starting to like that last version.

Now for the "but"... I would smooth out the curves on both bouts. On the top one just round out the top a bit and swing the waist in a little deeper. On the bottom I would round out the cut creating a bit more of a soft "S" curve.

Just my opinion of course, I might be turning it into too traditional of a shape for what you want. When I look at a guitar I like to see something sexy and curvacious. It has to look like something I would want to hold and feel the contours. But then again I might just have a one track mind. :D

Ok now I starting to Like the thing But Im haveing hard time with that headstock

It (IMHO) Does not work with that body design I thinking A 3X3 head would be best

!!METAL MATT!! :D

To quote Popeye the Sailor "Thats all I can stands and I can't stands no more". That body looks like the depressed little blurb on the Paxil CR commercials on de tele! Depressed! Start over! You can't fix a wart to not look like a wart! Sorry. IMHO

Well of course it looks better now. Before he wasnt taking anybodys suggestions!

is completely ridicule the whole thing, use inflammatory lingo like calling him an idiot (which he is not)

I never called him an idiot...

From what i saw in your first and second post, the only different thing between them was that you added knobs. :D Maybe if you kept posting them you could have saved me some "cool points" :D

Now, lets see, ..Why would he post it ot ask the opinion, and then change the design... ring a bell? No, well, how about the idea of, seeing what people say about it, and then come into conclusions, on how to make it more appealing, maybe to his eyes it was a magnificent design, but to somebody unbiased wouldn't

Hehe, longest run-on sentence i've seen :D Anyways, doesnt making a design more appealing count as changing a design??

Plus, i gave him feedback, just on a negative level. Maybe i should have made a suggestion. Too late now though 'cause i really like the way the design is commin B)

I never meant to cause any trouble guys! B)

EDIT- i never even saw Draks post BTW. I had lef the laptop on for a while then came back and posted what i thought of the design.

Edited by AlGeeEater

The body on the latest one is pretty much "there". There are personal things that all of us could add that would make it have more 'panache' according to our own personal tastes, but from an objective perspective, it's a well-balanced and usable shape now.

The headstock, I agree, is now something that could be addressed. I don't mind the 4X2 idea at all, I just find it a bit angular looking compared to the smooth curves of the body.

Greg

well, since i'm using a carvin neckthrough neck, i can't really... it's 1.7'' thick...

i'll probable round the edges a LOT... like *really* round (except where i put my leg...)

and the headstock, well, i dunno... the idea is still gonna be the same (kinda like the Parkers: Link but 4x2...) but i will be deciding and smoothing everything once i get that paddle headstock...

and btw, for 10$ more, i got Carvin to make the neck without inlays (it's ebony so it'll look great :D)

thanks everyone btw =D

I think that having the contrasting color of the neckthrough breaks up the top and bottom halves visually and really accentuates their asymetry (not a good thing in this case IMO). I think it looks MUCH better with the solid color top.

ok so i'm thinking maple caps on the sides now... how would trans black/red look?

or maybe maple burl? something like that anyways...

need your advices: how should i finish that guitar?... remember it's a neckthrough!

Edited by Pr3Va1L

Just because it is a neck thru, you don't need to finish it any different.

As for the cap goes, if you plan on doing the whole top, whatever the cap thickness is, you will have to cut the same dimension from the top of the neck tenon (don't know if it's call like that). If you are just caping the wings, then it is a diferent story, but I would do the whole thing, since a plain maple neckthru don't say much

yeah :D

I'll be posting my guitar design idea soon...I hope I get as much help and honest advice as you guys are giving here!!!

It may at times seem a little cruel to be kind, but honesty really is the only way with opinions. You don't want PG to be a mutual appreciation society!

With this design...hmmm...not my cup of tea. Perhaps you should take a look at what's going on with the neckthrough bass designs. The bass players push the design boundries a little more in the direction you seem to be going.

Definitely some improvement for PG forum input, though.

pete