Body Design : Reverse Strat

Good Advice...I'll draw up the design full size and get the parts together. All I need is a suitable bridge. Saw a neat Wilkinson knockoff at the local music shop...lots of chrome and an cool pop in arm. Any opinions on this style vs. the traditional style (I'm on a budget)

Going to check out this redwood I've got. This light resonant wood should work well I think...will need to laminate it up but is ideal with the alloy top and back as it will be protected from most damage. The centre block will be a much stronger hardwood to take the strain and screws for the neck and bridge.

I'm planning on the thing being light and responsive. A fair amount will be chambered. Anyone got any ideas for mounting the pickups through the back.

I've got this idea of having no, or few, screws on the front face. A large section of the back 'plate coming off to get to the circuitry and such. The thing will be largely hollowed out.

Anyway...any further comments of approval...or otherwise?

PT pete

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not rout your p'up cavitys in the back of the guitar, all the way through the wood, and mount them in the aluminium like a scratch plate, then use any left over aluminium to cover off the holes in the back.

That probibly made no sence...

The scratch plate idea makes perfect sense - might not be feasible depending on the aluminium sheet's thickness, though (?)

Otherwise, Pete, you've come up with many interesting body designs here!

I like your last one, but you might want to line up the forward edge of the upper horn with that of the lower horn...

All well and good - but you've kinda lost the Hendrix vibe you said you were after, haven't ya? :D

I'll quit bugging ya now, its a promise :DB)

(the black shape would be the fingerboard, not the neck, btw - meaning the neck can extend much more into the body)

mutantstrat24xm.jpg

mutantstrat39mm.jpg

This pic shows how I think the "lines" flow a little better for the subtle changes. Note that the lower horn still goes almost to the twelth fret as with my original but far less dickiness I hope!

rev-stratlines.jpg

Why not rout your p'up cavitys in the back of the guitar, all the way through the wood, and mount them in the aluminium like a scratch plate, then use any left over aluminium to cover off the holes in the back.

That probibly made no sence...

The scratch plate idea makes perfect sense - might not be feasible depending on the aluminium sheet's thickness, though (?)

The thickness is 0.6mm...pretty thin but still stiff over small areas so, yeah that's exactly what I was thinking. In fact it may be possible to have the pickup height adjustment screws work from the back too! The whole back will be covered in this sheet but there will be quite a large control cavity/trem cover that can be removed. The bridge pickup will within the tremolo's spring cavity anyway. The excess space below the neck pickup may be room to install a 9v battery. So I wont need scraps.

Otherwise, Pete, you've come up with many interesting body designs here!

I like your last one, but you might want to line up the forward edge of the upper horn with that of the lower horn...

All well and good - but you've kinda lost the Hendrix vibe you said you were after, haven't ya? :D

Well, a little...but what I was really aiming for is a legit reversed guitar/fender look...not a fake upside down guitar!

No offence to your photoshop effort...this is definitly more like an upside down strat....hence more hendrix-y.

Now, I don't think Leo would have entertained the idea of a reversed shape as it wouldn't seem to have any practical purpose, even if the market had demanded it. I'm not sure what he made of Hendrix...he might have felt the design was being mocked, all those ergonomic contours, proudly advertised on the end of the headstock...now in precisely the wrong places!

(the black shape would be the fingerboard, not the neck, btw - meaning the neck can extend much more into the body)

mutantstrat24xm.jpg

I really think that my bolt on neck is going to need some support...it's also only got 21 frets BTW...so I don't have the option of extending it any further than the fingerboard. Also, the further out and unsupported it is, the more rubbery (like an SG) the neck can feel. And, if I back route that neck pickup...it will be right on the neck joint, too!

mutantstrat39mm.jpg

I tried to get somewhere towards this kind of shape but it looks a little less fender (the cutaways don't curve back towards the neck) and is a bit more PRS perhaps. It looses a bit of that curvy 60's vibe IMO.

I like some of the explorer-ish designs too...perhaps another project. I'm not sure that it needs the reversed headstock like this reversed strat idea does.

There really is some sense in the reversed headstock by the way.

Hendrix claimed, when asked, that he played right handed guitars because he didn't think the left's were made as well. But I think he was much more conscious of image and what worked for him.

When he dropped in on London and the prim and proper BBC, etc...he turned the whole "scene" upside down! Here's a black guy in a very white country, ironically captivated by the blues and Hendrix came in playing loud, out of this world music. He did everything he could to accentuate his difference...including that extended lower horn (IMHO)...there's no doubt that sexual imagary was a large part of his act.

The reversed headstock though, also worked for him in a practical way. If you check out live purformances...he always struggled with tuning. With the headstock reversed, those tuners are below where your hand is. You don't have to flip and twist your wrist to tune...given what he was doing and the technology of the time, that was important. And, although he was often out of tune live, if you watch him, he does care enough to continuously try to correct this. He was not afraid to tune between numbers, even though he had to maintain a high energy act and that most of the audience were probably too out of it to really care!

From another standpoint, the reversed headstock also puts the higher tensioned string tuner's closer to the nut, without string trees. Structually this means less pressure on the far end of the headstock and may also aided in him trying to overcome his tuning difficulties.

Anyway...I wanted something that the reverse headstock kind of suited. Given that Hendrix's sillouete will always be evoked by the reversed headstock (unless you were brought up by bad hair bands in the eighties I guess), I figure you really need the reverse body to go with it!

Anyhow...perhaps a little tweaking on the plan, but I'm pretty happy with it and I'm keen to see how this aluminium construction method turns out and looks all pimped out...plus I'll have a home for the fab-o sustainer at last!

thanks guys

pete

im lefthanded and have a righty strat the only difference in playability to my lefty guitars is fret access, i can reach three more frets on a lefty strat than my righty.

are those three frets enough to compromise the shape you want?

(if i ever do use them i just tap them and the vibrato on my tapping hand has always been better)

and once i got the hang of controling the volume with my palm/wrist

i wanted all my volume knobs to be on the "wrong side" :D

and i dont understand why you would want a pickguard AND back routing why not just get thicker aluminium and mount your pups in the pickguard like every other strat

im lefthanded and have a righty strat the only difference in playability to my lefty guitars is fret access, i can reach three more frets on a lefty strat than my righty.

are those three frets enough to compromise the shape you want?

Well, I don't want the lefthanded strat. Actually I have one...that's where the neck's coming from. I want a reversed strat which I see assomething different. Youmay have to read back a bit to see why.

and once i got the hang of controling the volume with my palm/wrist

i wanted all my volume knobs to be on the "wrong side"

That's interesting, I have a feeling Hendrix felt the same way too! Iknow SRV used a lefthanded tremolo so the bar hung down from above. I just found it really got in the way of string damping with the (my) right hand!

and i dont understand why you would want a pickguard AND back routing why not just get thicker aluminium and mount your pups in the pickguard like every other strat

The idea is not a pickguard. Basically it's an aluminium shell over a light timber core. The timber and aluminium will be laminated and glued to become the body. They wont be screwed on and removable so all access will be from the back. Aside from the edge of timber, the rest will be polished aluminium...should look like chrome. Will probably face the peghead in a similar way.

so that's the reasoning! :D

Yeah...that's exactly the idea...though I'm still going for aluminium...got some fabulous ideas...Aluminium over a wooden core with an edge of carbon fiber.

Lot's of chrome hardware and a rim of black on the edges of the guitar. The top will be symetrically arched like Brian Moore Guitars and the back arched on the back. Basically, it'll have a real aerodynamic kind of feel.

Anyway...what is that guitar...look's like a danelectro/mosrite...looks good...post a link or something

pete

OK...like Redstein, I went back to the original strat, traced it but instead of shifting the neck forward, I shifted the top horn forward and cutaway at the lower horn.

pswrev1.jpg

Well...I like it (the hodad) but it's not quite what I was looking for. I think I've found more of the look and with aluminium front and back and a rim of carbon fibre plus a carve like a wing, this thing will have a hi-tech (yet retro) kind of look like nothing else.

I think the actual strat curves will make it look more fender than it seems in the drawing, especially with a chrome reversed fender headstock. The Hodad is definitely more Mosrite!

Overall, it will look like nothing else but will probably give a vibe of early '60's get fighters (before they got all pointy!)

A bit of a lack of time at the moment, but I'm really excited about it and the neck looks good on the fullsize printout.

psw

Overall, it will look like nothing else but will probably give a vibe of early '60's get fighters (before they got all pointy!)

psw

Smig19.jpg

I hear ya - this is going to be one wicked axe :D

(Hadn't realised you were set on using that bolt on neck you showed on the first page - otherwise I wouldn't have suggested shifting the neck forward.)

Yeah...infinite unlimited sustain!!! :D

Nice one Redstien...that's the kind of thing.

I want the thing to feel light. I might even make the whole thing kind of semi acoustic...not quite sure how I'm going to do it.

I kind of like the idea that the guitar is kind of percussive with a bright sound offset by the humbuckers thicker tone. The need for "sustain" usually sought in conventional designs is less because of the sustainer...well that's my thinking.

Of course the neck and bridge need to be firmly secured so we're probably looking at a hardwood centre section.

At the moment I'm leaning towards a solid upper section of light weight timber (redwood) and a lower section essentially hollow. A battery cavity will be housed behind the bridge. The upper section will be thin out like the trailing section of a wing the bottom will be thicker curving only on the top.

The idea of the carbon fibre is to provide a look....and will provide fantastic protection for the relatively soft timber core...plus I've got a little here so there's no immediate cost! The black will offset the aluminium nicely (even if I let it oxidise) and match the black humbucker. The sustainer pickup will probably be potted in epoxy so it could also incorporate the carbon fibre weave into its surface.

Maybe black knobs and lots of chrome switches. I found a Wilkonson like copy which is very bright chrome and look kind of neat with the concept.

Anyway...lot's of idea's...can't seem to find too much time to do it...but it is looking a bit special. I think the reversed shape really will suit the concept and the shape I finally thought of particularly suits it.

thanks guys...I thought I was on a loser there for a while!

psw

• 2 weeks later...
...I went back to the original strat, traced it but instead of shifting the neck forward, I shifted the top horn forward and cutaway at the lower horn.

pswrev1.jpg

Had some delays on this project...but...in drawing it out full scale I found the bridge sat a fair way towards the back of the body than in this drawing.

I got a cheap but good wilkonson like trem with lot's of bright chrome... :D

Anyway...should I redraw a more elongated shape so the bridge is more towards the middle of the body like most guitars? The only guitars I found that had bridges back a fair way is the Steinberger (transtrem back of the body style) and the Squire Venus. Would the bridge being set back adversely effect playability do you guys think? :D

psw

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah...that's exactly the idea...though I'm still going for aluminium...got some fabulous ideas...Aluminium over a wooden core with an edge of carbon fiber.

Lot's of chrome hardware and a rim of black on the edges of the guitar. The top will be symetrically arched like Brian Moore Guitars and the back arched on the back. Basically, it'll have a real aerodynamic kind of feel.

Anyway...what is that guitar...look's like a danelectro/mosrite...looks good...post a link or something

pete

is this what you're talking about?

heh...if it is, i do love your taste - it's what i play!

25.jpg

I dunno why the image isn't showing, but here's a link to it: Danelectro Danoblaster Innuendo

Can't wait for when you start putting the electronics in :D

Edited by BDRockStar

B) Really...you mean there's already an aluminium clad reverse strat out there :D

BTW...you image isn't showing...

Thanks...I like the idea but still in parts and concept stages still...AlgeeEater's doing a few 3d models of it that he'll post sometime for further coment and input...

For now...I'm testing out the electronics and building them into my test strat over on the Sustainer Thread....

Sustainer Thread...go back a page for pics of Test Strat...

Now...about that lower horn...and can there really be too many switches and knobs on a guitar!!!! :D

Edited by psw

Well after Pete contacted me by PM, i designed some 3D models like you said. After hours or laboring(or just trying to find those hours :D ) they are finished!

Here's his original design with the one horn looking a bit phallic, to say the least:

pswdicklookingstrat.jpg

Here's what i suggested, giving the guitar more upper fret access and a tad more pleasing on the eyes :D :

pswstrat.jpg

I can also get different snaps at different positions too.

So what do you guys think?

(sorry for posting 2 images in one post but i think people should get an idea without having to click links)

Edited by AlGeeEater

Reminds me of an axe that doesn't get mentioned much these days, but I was in love with these back in the 80's. Behold, the Ibanez 540P, Alex Skolnick's (formerly of Testament) axe of choice until about 1989. I remember seeing him on Headbangers Ball (back when eMpTyV still played actual music) practicing with it while they were being interviewed by Ricky Rachtman. Definitely a metal guitar.

ibanez_orangeq.jpg

Here's the link to the 1989 Ibanez Catalog.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...

...and they said my horn looked too phallac...! :D

I still like the first one for the design I've in mind...the second's a little too mosrite for this project...like to hear if anyones changed there mind on this thing though... :D

pete

Not really. :D And I actively dislike that Ibanez one, too. All's subjective, though, so if it's beautiful to you it's OK if it's godawful to anyone else. !

Wacky '80's guitar design...

Still interesting to see a hum/single combo on a shredder like that...not enough knobs for me.... B) ...my test strat's sprouted 5!!!! and 7 switches...you can't play it without a licence... :D !!!!

I still dig the reverse shape...got a full size drawing happening...but the projects on temporary hold while I sort out the electronics over at the Sustainer Thread:

17,000 vistis...can't be wrong...can it...Sustainer Thread....

BTW the controls on this guitar will likely be volume, tone, sustainer and piezo knobs...three way pickup selector...piezio, sustainer and harmonic on switches...and probably a coil split for the humbucker...enough to get the blood boiling for some on this forum.... :D (Also...the 5th knob on the test strat is a mid pickup blend control)

psw