Doyle Dykes

marksound

WOW :D Im striving just to have The talent that That Man Has In His one LEFT PINKY

!!METAL MATT!! :D

• 6 months later...

Dammit! He's in concert together with Tommy Emmanuel here (in NL) next year, but it's too far away to get back from after the concert. Unless I rent a car or something. Grr. Argh. I mean, from what I've seen I prefer Tommy as a player and performer, but two of the world's fingerpicking greats on one bill....

I went to see doyle dykes a few weeks ago. I took my dad who had never heard of him before... and before the gig my dad started talking to some bloke... who was doyle, without knowing it. Rather amusing!

75 seat venue. very cool :D

Oooh, and had a chat to bob taylor too B)

:D

Impressive playing, but i thought the guitar sounded terrible. It sounded like a thin, tinny electric or a metallic, harsh-sounding acoustic.

That is my thought on the few I have played and heard. Ive seen Ed Roland from Collective Soul use one live and on tv both were the worst examples of Piezo pickups I've ever heard.

Honestly the acoustic bridge on my Nightfly sounds hundreds of times better.

Edited by syxxstring

Wow Doyle amazes me...... I really like his tone on the blues song he plays on Preformance Retrospective can any one tell me what woods would be making that awsome tone? :D

Wow Doyle amazes me...... I really like his tone on the blues song he plays on Preformance Retrospective can any one tell me what woods would be making that awsome tone? :D

Mostly it's in the fingers ;-)

If you mean the second song in that video, looks like a mahogany/sitka combo. Mahogany back/sides are great for that thumpy, woody tone, great blues tone. Sitka will do fine, as topwoods go, although I'd probably pop a Euro spruce top on there.

Pickups systems for acoustics are always compormises; for my money, the best non-digital system I've ever heard has to be the stuff Maton uses. Tommy Emmanuel's simple plugged in tone is quite amazing, and I believe it's a hybrid soundboard transducer+UST combo. Picks up all manner of body noise, too, but he needs that for his insano percussive antics. Alternately, Rick Turner's D-Tar system, and the Fishman Aura are quite impressive on the digital front.

The best pickup system, for tone, is still the good 'ol microphone.

That's the Baby Taylor. I can't tell for sure, but it looks like the standard spruce/sapele 'laminate' model. No electronics, just miked. Those things are amazing for the size and price.

thanks for the info on that guitar guys! :D