Started A New Guitar Today...

Specs:

Spanish Cedar body (sort of like light Mahogony, but much more resonant and soft like Spruce...looks just like Mahogony tho)

Spalted Maple carved top with Heavy Stairstep quilting and some neat mineral streaks.

The Maple top is HARD Maple, not that soft quilted pretty-boy crap. It has TONE!

The spalt is early-stage spalt, the wood still has all the characteristics of regular hard Maple to it, but with a little spalting for ehhh, 'character'...no punk at all.

Shape will be my ES 225 3/4 shape. Shaped exactly like a Gibby 225, but about 1/2 way in-between a full-sized 225 and a Les Paul. 'Just right' sez me.

Chambered body

TOM/Stop

3 P-90's (probably Lollars) with a 5-way Stew Mac selector, so like a ballsy strattie more or less

Topside binding only.

Probably black hardware to offset the all natural woods, but that could change, I am a gold hardware guy normally.

I'll probably use my '5 pots w/ selector' scheme as seen on all my Teles last year, probably pre-amped with some additional goodies, maybe a Big D Varitone in the mix :D .

I have a very distinctive goal in mind here, a sound that I'm aiming directly for, and that is the OLD '60's Santana 'Oy Ye Como Va' (sp? :D ) 'Black Magic Woman' sound.

Bright and clear and articulate as hell with the volume rolled down a little, where you can hear every bend and nuance very clearly, where you can hear YOUR playing distinctly, ...but with a stinging raping animalistic bite and attack that will rip your head off when rolled up.

A tone does not have to be 'Metal' in nature to rip your head off y'know B)

I'll be chambering the body and gluing the top on tomorrow.

No hoster, no pics. :DB)

C'est La Vie, Viva La France!!!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holy crap man What do you do with all these guitars :D

Ya Know Drak I dont think I've seen one of you Rhoads Yet!! I cant wait for some

PIC'S B)

!!METAL MATT!! :D

Thanks Bowser, where the heck did you cop that pic?

Must be in the GOTM gallery or something...

And PS, if anyone remembers the very old 'Mother Maple' thread from a year or two ago, that's the (5A) Maple that I'm using on the V. It's ~finally~ ready and dry. B):D:D

Rock On, Brothers of the Wood! :D

PS, only 2 P-90's on the 225. I drew everything out on the body in preparation for chambering tomorrow and 3 P-90's looked way too busy and cluttered.

Now I think I'll go with a standard Gibbie toggler in the upper bout.

Both control cavity rear cover and toggler rear cover will be cut from the Cedar itself with my trusty DELTA scroll saw, 'natch. B)

Wow, this sounds like a real monster. The body shape and size is going to be great and the tone is EXACTLY what I look for in a guitar, where it responds well to your playing touch and then gets real nasty and snarly when you crank it.

Good luck, and keep us up to date.

Specs:

Spanish Cedar body (sort of like light Mahogony, but much more resonant and soft like Spruce...looks just like Mahogony tho)

I have a very distinctive goal in mind here, a sound that I'm aiming directly for, and that is the OLD '60's Santana 'Oy Ye Como Va' (sp? :D ) 'Black Magic Woman' sound.

Bright and clear and articulate as hell with the volume rolled down a little, where you can hear every bend and nuance very clearly, where you can hear YOUR playing distinctly, ...but with a stinging raping animalistic bite and attack that will rip your head off when rolled up.

A tone does not have to be 'Metal' in nature to rip your head off y'know  :D

Sounds great...just what I'm looking for in my new "sustainer" guitar. I'm looking at a core of california redwood with a hardwood centre block...covered with aluminium front and back. I think the softwood like cedar or redwood will provide the resonant, articulate sound with a lot of character...the aluminium will protect the softwood and hopefully provide some zing! I'm also looking at low to moderate output in the pickups...want to hear the character of the guitar, not the electronics.

I think your going for what everyone should be going for in a custom build...a custom sound, not just a custom look...good luck

If I remember correctly ,Santana, in the early days was using a Gibson SG wth P-90s. My favorite Santana tone, by the way. I live in the SF BAy Area and saw him many times when he was comming up. Oh oh, dating myself now... With the chambered body you might get a more "woody" sound like some of the great old blues guys; another great tone.

With the chambered body you might get a more "woody" sound like some of the great old blues guys; another great tone.

It's possible. That's the fun thing about building guitars, no matter how much thought you put into the decisions, it always comes out with a distinctive character or edge or personality you never planned on, I look forward now to finishing a guitar and finding out what 'it' wants to do.

But even tho I'm chambering it, the pkps will be mounted pretty much just like the Gibbie SG P-90's, screwed directly into the wood. It will have a solid core going down the center, about as wide as the pkps.

More similar to a 335 in construction I guess, but the outward appearance of a Florentine-inspired 225. The Florentine single cutaway has always been my favorite 'look', and to me is synonomous with the early days of rock-n-roll, where the Venetian cutaway always reminded me of a jazz box in origin.

I'm taking pics all along, just no hoster to uplink to. I'll get 'em up one of these days.

Stealth Lutherie.

Here's one, Matt

GOTM March, 2004

WOW man That Is So extremely deadly, What is that top man It's calling out my name "METAL MATT" Oh no it's in my head :D

But realy man How many of the V's have You made and how many do you have still kicking around??

!!METAL MATT!! :D

WOW man That Is So extremely deadly, What is that top man It's calling out my name "METAL MATT" Oh no it's in my head laugh.gif

But realy man How many of the V's have You made and how many do you have still kicking around??

It's Coco-Bolo, and took me 5 years to finally unravel the secrets to finishing it. It got refinished, oh, about 8-9 times before I discovered a process that worked for me.

I've probably made about 6 V's, only 2 around tho. WOD is a hungry little monstuh.

What kind of neck are you going to put with the spruce top? Are you building a set neck or purchaing a bolt on neck?

It's not a Spruce top, it's a Spruce body. Probably a Warmoth all Paduak neck I have here. Either that or a Mahogony/Ebony neck. The Mahogony/Ebony neck has nice trapezoid inlays, the Paduak just has dots. I think trap inlays look nicer with Gibby type instruments,, but I think the Paduak will have a mre biting tone. I could be wrong...we'll see...Both are bolt on necks, but the truss adjustment is at the top, so I might very well glue it on and comfort-shape around the heel.

haha drak im gonna drive over to your place and watch what you do and try to learn what im still a little lost on. any positions open for an apprentice?

Well, you have to be undead for at least 200 years and be able to get past the crocks and piranhas in the Moat out front, and, of course, WOD has to like you, hehehe. If he doesn't, you'll be dinner and your innards will be hanging from the Maple Tree out back next to a few Teles. It's a tough application, I know... :D:DB)

What kind of neck are you going to put with the spruce top? Are you building a set neck or purchaing a bolt on neck?

It's not a Spruce top, it's a Spruce body. Probably a Warmoth all Paduak neck I have here. Either that or a Mahogony/Ebony neck. The Mahogony/Ebony neck has nice trapezoid inlays, the Paduak just has dots. I think trap inlays look nicer with Gibby type instruments,, but I think the Paduak will have a mre biting tone. I could be wrong...we'll see...Both are bolt on necks, but the truss adjustment is at the top, so I might very well glue it on and comfort-shape around the heel.

Cool - I thought you mainly used Warmoth, but I did not realize you could glue the neck. I did not think it would be strong enough.

Again - I can't wait to see the pics.

Bill

My neck pockets tend to be so friggin' tight I have to gently force the neck into position most of the time, so I forsee no problems at all on that front.

The body is now chambered and the top is glued on, just removed the clamps a minute ago. I glued the top booked halves last night.

The figure in this thing is freaking me out. NO stains are coming near this puppy.

PPS, at the last minute I decided to use the scroll saw and just cut all the way thru the wood, so I'll have to find a suitable spalted Maple bottom to match that top. The thickness was bugging me, I thought it would end up a tad too thin-looking if I just used the Spruce and the Maple top.

So we got a sammich Gibby now.

Also, I decided to just use a COMBO TOM/Stop tailpiece. Whenever I think of P-90's, I think of the typical stop/tom combo on the old LP Juniors, it's a 'combination' to me that always goes together, so we're doing that to this one too, and it's cool, because you'll get to see much more of the pretty top this way.

Or I could do the TOM and use a Trapeze tailpiece...we'll see how it all goes down...

Drak have no hoster! B)

Drak be 'stealth luthier' this season! :D

I just got finished routing the final body shape out, leaving 1/4" fat around the bottom so I don't have to tape the sides when I glue the bottom on.

I am LOVING it! B)

PS, I 'am' taking pics all along the way as usual, just no hoster.

You're gonna get slammed with them all at once!

Putting the bottom on and cutting out the 2 covers will be cake, but I am not a big fan of carving tops, as I -can- do it, but am not real proficient at it, and am not really looking forward to it, but it has to be done with Gibson style guitars, and so it shall come to pass.

From raw idea in brain to routed chambered spalted body in under 24 hours! Whoopee!

...Now, where'd that 27" pigsticker Rhoads V get off to?.... WOD, NO, DON'T DO IT! DOWN BOY! :D:D

...I have some BAAAD news fellas... B)

I was SO STOKED by the first one it came out so well...

...I JUST built ANOTHER ONE!

HARHARHARHARHAR!!!!! :D:DB)

I chambered another one out, and just got done clamping up the top, which I got from Durawoods and is a really beautiful Quilted Maple top.

I had had the bookmatched top glued up last fall and well, it was sitting here looking forlornly at me, jealous as hell of the Spalted 225, so I had to oblige it. It is now being glued as we speak to another 225.

This one will be 2 HB, and a nice lemon yellow top fading to an orange-amber edge. Sort of like Setch's re-do, but lighter I think.

It must be Spring, boys! :D