Finally Done, Again... =)

As some of you may recall I have been redoing my first guitar. I put on a new fingerboard which means a new fret job that is factory perfect. I also refinished the neck and body and redid the back carve on the neck as it was way too big for my hands.

Now it looks great, sounds great, plays REALLY good, and is just a freakin awesome all around guitar.

I will have pics up later today. I have too run out the door right now to go paint the youth room at our church.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Godin, it's mean to be such a tease. I'm really looking forward to seeing that beautiful guitar again!

Than I shall be mean no longer :D

Here is the bubinga one,

20.jpg

4 (for those of you who diddn't see it before the ferrule holes were not strait so thats why I inlaid that block there)

And Here are a few teasers of the wenge one,

3 (pudy cool logo eh?)

Those are just some crappy pics I just took too show you whats going on. I will have better pics up later.

I probally won't put the bubinga one in GOTM but I will put the wenge one in. Thers auccually another wenge guitar identical too this one but it's not quite too this stage. I still have too do some final sanding before I start finishing that one.

The wenge guitar looks way better than in the pics. I don't know why my camera made the finish look clowdy. I will have too get some better ones in the sun later...

Edited by Godin SD

Looks very good. I have a couple of questions:

A. Why did you change the bridge on the first one? I know about the crooked ferrules, but ... ? And did you add a piezo bridge? I couldn't tell.

B. The second body looks great, and the neck is far out, man. :D But is it just me, or are the bass side tuners not equally spaced like on the treble side?

:D

But is it just me, or are the bass side tuners not equally spaced like on the treble side?

the A tuner is WAY out.

Godin, if your gonna make lots of guitars, you should make a jig for those holes, then you can do them real quick, and they will be even.

just get a block of hardwood and drill it nice and straight, then it can be clamped on to the peghead.

edit: looking at it again, I think its the D that's out, but then it would have gone over your logo if it higher.

Edited by Mr Alex

Godin SD,

Thats looks incredible, both of them. Is the neck on the wenge one hard maple(rock), with flamed or curly figuring? It's not soft maple is it? It doesn't really look like soft but it's hard to tell, it looks really nice with the horizontal stripes on the back of the neck. Also is it one piece besides the fretboard?

You did an excellent job on all of it. I really hope some of my stuff comes close to being of the quality of yours, I would be so happy! Keep up the great work, it's always so inspirational to see somebodies art come to be a beautiful piece. And a complex piece that is able to be played is even better. Jason

The neck is made out of perfectly quartersawn hard rock maple with curl figure.

It must just be the pic angle because when you look at the headstock from the front everythings perfectly lined up. ie everythings spaced the same from the edge and is spaced coredtly from each other.

And I changed the bridge because I diddn't like the look of the first one.

Edited by Godin SD

Sorry, dude, but there's no way that's just the camera angle. The A-string tuning machine is closer to the D than it is to the E.

Looking like a good guitar regardless!

Greg

The A-string tuning machine is closer to the D than it is to the E

oh you mean it like that. I tried it the other way (all even) but it diddn't go. This way it flows much better with the headstock lines. It does look whack from that angle though, thats what I was getting at...

I really like the newer control layout much better (on the Wenge guitar).

me too. The controls, while they looked cool were too far away for quick changes.

oh you mean it like that. I tried it the other way (all even) but it diddn't go. This way it flows much better with the headstock lines.

sorry,but i gotta call b.s. on that.i think you just messed up and don't want to admit it.there is no way that "goes better with the headstock lines"

just admit your mistakes and move on.nice work on the rest of the guitar though.it reminds me of that melting clock in the m.c escher print

sorry,but i gotta call b.s. on that.

You do realize when you call bs and your wrong you take the whole deck?

(in the card game in case you have no idea what I'm talking about)

I did try it and it like it better this way. I don't lie, ever. I will leave it at that...

just some advice.obviously you would prefer to keep up the charade. :D

16.jpg

If it works for you.......it works for you.

Personally I don't think it looks very outta wack........although you see lot's of people screw-up on their tuner holes.......looks so darn easy.......but it's not. Same as those darn ferrule holes.

I haven't drilled my tuner holes yet....just for that same reason. I couldn't get them straight in test drills....gotta improve my method a bit.

I gotta go with Wes, from a design standpoint it looks wrong, the curve is the same on the treble side as the bass side, on the treble side they're lined up nicely, it looks correct, on the bass side it just looks like a mistake. And if you did place it there purposely, then I personally think it's a mistake from a cosmetic point of view. But it's not my guitar, just my opinion :D