My First Scratch Built Neck Thru

so im starting a new neck thru this week (this will be my first from scratch neck thru, i have used carvin necks in the past) and im not going to be giving much away on this one, pics will tell with time, anyway the specs are going to be as follows (w/*pending)

25 1/2" maple neck thru

24 fret ebony board

mohagany wings

quilted maple top with matching headstock veneer

*ebony or abalone stringers*(depends on how big the maple top is)

black hardware

floyd rose

*pickups still pending, but bill lawrence x500lr in bridge and dimarzio evolution in neck with full active electronics*

*transparent blueburst finish* (not sure if i want black, purple, red or green either though.)

i will start making plexi templates for everything later this week, wood should be in by fridayish (thank you soooo much again rich!), i *should* be making sawdust my next monday, but i want to be extremly carefull with this one, it will be awesome, rest assured old school bc rich design that we see sometimes, but not very often (and no its not a stealth)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so im starting a new neck thru this week (this will be my first from scratch neck thru, i have used carvin necks in the past) and im not going to be giving much away on this one, pics will tell with time, anyway the specs are going to be as follows (w/*pending)

25 1/2" maple neck thru

24 fret ebony board

mohagany wings

quilted maple top with matching headstock veneer

*ebony or abalone stringers*(depends on how big the maple top is)

black hardware

floyd rose

*pickups still pending, but bill lawrence x500lr in bridge and dimarzio evolution in neck with full active electronics*

*transparent blueburst finish* (not sure if i want black, purple, red or green either though.)

i will start making plexi templates for everything later this week, wood should be in by fridayish (thank you soooo much again rich!), i *should* be making sawdust my next monday, but i want to be extremly carefull with this one, it will be awesome, rest assured old school bc rich design that we see sometimes, but not very often (and no its not a stealth)

Sounds nice. I'm gonna guess Ignitor? :D

plexi was picked up today, i should be putting template pics up later this week, ordering truss rod and carbon fiber tonight as well (stew mac hot rod)

i was going to be doing a very thin neck on this guitar, but after i got to play a good friends warrior guitar, i decided its going to be fairly thick, it was an awesome guitar!

well since it is technically saturday where im at, this project is going to be a bc rich ironbird (you were kinda close with a v, it has the back of a rhoads v kinda) its going to have the original bc rich full active circuit(ala neal moser) and a few little modern things (belly cut, tone chambers possibly) I will start posting pictures tonight or tommorow depending on how work goes, so there ya have it the cats outta the bag!

I prefer a V, but that's just me. I like that you're doing something different!

What makes a Moser active circuit unique? I don't ask in a sarcastic tone but with genuine curiousity because I didn't even know that he DID active circuits.

Greg

well its not like emgs, but here is the rundown of what a vintage bcr active circuit contains *note this is taken directly from neals site, i did not write this*

Bich%20PMS%20electroinc%20lay%20out%20450pix.jpg

1. Treble Booster on-off switch. Great to kick on if you want a biting lead.

It has no volume control. It doesn't boost the vol that much.

2. Secondary booster on-off switch. Switch up is on. It's related vol is #10.

3. Primary booster on-off switch. Switch up is on. It's related vol is #12.

4. Out of phase switch. Switch up puts pickups out of phase when both

pickups are on.

5. Neck pickup series/parallel switch. Switch down is series and switch up

is parallel.

6. Bridge pickup series/parallel switch. Switch down is series and switch up

is parallel.

7. Stand-by switch. Switch up guitar off.

8. Varitone in and out switch. Switch down varitone out. Switch up varitone

in. This allows you to pre-set a varitone position so you can use a sound by

hitting the switch instead of rotating through the spectrum.

9. Master volume.

10. Secondary booster volume.

11. Varitone rotary switch. Counter clockwise position 1 is straight through.

12. Primary booster volume.

13. Tone control.

14. Neck pickup volume.

15. Pickup selector switch

yeah its a total nightmare to wire!

Edited by goth_fiend

It confuses me already just looking at it. Maybe great for studio use....but don't see myself remembering all the setting when playing on stage.

Too much trying to impress the t*pless girl on the 3rd row anyway......

eddie_van_halen.jpg

Oh, wait......I never play a guitar on stage.......Must have been the Van Halen dream that keeps coming back so once in while..... :D:D

Edited by RGGR

After one look I thought it was all unnecessary but after reading it I would use it all except the two volume boost, the treble boost, and the neck pickup volume. And I would do away with the kill switch.

That would make 3 knobs, 4 switchs and your pickup selector. Not too bad at all. I might have too try that wireing on my next project.

It soudnds really useful auccually. Series/parrall for each pickup, out of phase with both on, and varitone with an off switch. Not to overwhelming at all. B)

Do you have a schematic? I really don't feel like figureing that one out :D If you figure it out shoot me a PM. :D

Edited by Godin SD

I have learned over the years that it is a fairly standard thing for someone who is in the 1-5 guitars built range...

...that they build their very own 747 Flying Fortress. It's just something everyone has to get out of their system, so I don't bother to knock it, they will find out one day that too much is too much and they won't use 2/3rds of any of it, but this step is 'part of the journey', and everyone has to walk thru it, no use trying to talk anyone out of it, and it is great experience if you have to build it YOURSELF ( :D ) because on that one guitar you will get a -lot- of experience on wiring screwups, and just generally learn a lot about wiring guitars, which is an important step in guitar building.

But Goth won't learn too much if he's buying it pre-made, so it's a tossup whether or not it will be worth it, because worst case scenario is he'll wind up not using 2/3rds of it and not learned much about wiring electronics, pkps, and their 'marvelous' <cough cough> interactions with each other, that is a lose/lose proposition.

But hey, I've done plenty of lose/losers too!

Nothing wrong with that, it's all part of the fun of the freedom of building any damn thing your little heart desires, that kind of territory comes with a few landmines here and there.

Good luck with it Goth! :D

carbon fiber and truss rod came in today, so now im just waiting for my woods to get here, should be a little later this week, they were sent out today to my knowledge, more pictures tommorow, i still have a few to resize.

and the more i think about it, the less i like the idea of such a monster of a electronics package, it would be nice, but what i am going to do is instead is keep the varitone and a single booster with the treble booster, coil taps for both pickups and a master vol/tone 3 way, not as bad to wire and still more then enough versitility for me

body and neck woods came in today so im going to be starting cutting out the templates later this week, if not monday (depends on how work goes) pictures up later tonight

*here they are

ironbird010.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y74/the_f...ironbird003.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y74/the_f...ironbird007.jpg

as you can see the woods are a tad bit small for the size of the body and neck, this is not really a problem though, only a small obstical, as for the templates i know i havent cut them out yet, not all of them are done for that matter! comments are always welcome guys!

Edited by goth_fiend