Maple Vs. Rosewood

im very interested in a 72 fender thinline guitar and im curiouse about the maple neck on that guitar. is it that much of a noticable diffrence as far as sound and how it plays?

i have been playing guitar for about 5 years now and i have never even picked up a guitar with a maple neck

Plus, many maple fingerboards (if not all commercially produced ones) have a finish on them, which will drastically alter the feel, for sure. I'm not a big fan, preferring good ol' rosewood or ebony.

Greg

Don't ask me why but for some reason I have always liked maple fretboards on my p-basses and nothing else. Everyone of my other guitars and basses has either a rosewood, ebony, or pau ferro fretboard. It will make a difference in how the instrument plays mainly because of the finish on the board.

I have maple on my american deluxe strat, and I love it for what it is. It gives a nice punchy sound, I really like it for clean sounds, but I'd prefer Rosewood for distorted tones in my opinion. I've never tried an ebony fingerboard though. I also think that Maple is easier to play on, but that might just be 'cause I'm used to my own guitar.

....The guitar I'm making will have rosewood.

PS.

I think Maple fretboards look better than a darker fretboard on a light-er coloured guitar. My guitar would look bad with dark I think. http://photobucket.com/albums/v215/Sobot/?...nt=P1010105.jpg (by the way, you CAN see the wood grain on the finish, it's just the picture)

Edited by Sobot