I'm sorry..........I had to make a topic out of it. I just couldn't resist.

Had look at GOTM July pics......and bumped into this pic.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v655/gpe...nk/DSCF0034.jpg

That guitar just eliminated itself for me. And not so much for quality of guitar......but more so by the clumsiness of the photographer. Do these sneakers have to be part of the picture???

Edited by RGGR

I had a small collection of "toe" pictures a while ago. I was going to collect them all and then have a identify the luthier by their toes contest. :D

I'll add this picture to my collection, BTW. :D

Speaking of, if y'all know of any good ones to add, send a PM to me and I'll post them all later this month. B)

B) Well, it's not a "GOTM" picture. My friend had his camera so we shot a couple things. Since I had some pics I figured I'd enter it. I made him take that particular shot because I wanted a silouhette view, so it's my fault I guess. Instead of e-mailing them to me he posted them, so I just used the links instead of downloading and editing them. Now it's too late I guess. My arm is in one of the other ones, maybe that will ruin it for some other voters. :D I didn't realize those were "mistakes." I mean how about "gig bag and asphalt in photo" are those mistakes too? :D We were outside because the other guitar was a duplicolor mirage paint job and the sunlight was best, otherwise I might've put it on a stand or something. If it won I knew I'd be editing those pics.

And sorry Jehle, you can't use this for an "identify the luthier" because those aren't my sneakers. But if you do an "identify the luthier by his forearm" then you're welcome to the other one. :D

<puts Mod hat on> RGGR, you do realize that pic is wider than is allowed in this forum, right? it's actually over twice the max width, and you've also hotlinked to a site that you don't own, another no-no - if you need a refresher on the rules regarding pictures, see Kevan's post at the top of this forum section. It's usually a good idea when criticizing someone else's mistakes to make sure your critique doesn't contain larger errors that can make you look silly. Do you want to fix it, or shall I do it?

<removes mod hat>In all seriousness, do you really think that sneaker toes in the photo are more important than the actual guitar, or are you just trying to be funny? :D

Nothing a quick photoshop can't fix. Of course, it would've been easier to just crop it :D . Anyone who wants some photoshop work done, just send me a PM, I'll do if for free, providing it's not too complex.

photo.jpg

That guitar just eliminated itself for me. And not so much for quality of guitar......but more so by the clumsiness of the photographer. Do these sneakers have to be part of the picture???

:D guitar of the month, not photographer of the month.

:D guitar of the month, not photographer of the month.

Man, just appreciate it for being a nice guitar, jeez. It is truly a work of art, as I have seen it up close and personal.

And, for the record, I am the photographer in question. Not that I'm a perfectionist, but I didn't realize I was submitting something for my professional portfolio here. Had I known it would become such an issue, I would have cropped them before submitting them to Frank. Next time I'll make sure we set up in a professional studio, or maybe I should have done something like this (sorry Frank...):

7stringchalkycopy.jpg

In case you guys havn't noticed yet it's NOT a guitar... It's a lap steel.

I think it looks prety good except for the bridge. Change the bridge and it would be perfect...

and the pics in GOTM are WAY too big also. I mean It's hard too even see them scroling way over. it would make me want too vote more if I could see the whole pic.

Edited by Godin SD
In all seriousness, do you really think that sneaker toes in the photo are more important than the actual guitar, or are you just trying to be funny?

Little bit of both, I guess. I actually did mind the sneakers. I think it looks clumsy. In progress or update shots someone could get away with it. :D In GOTM it's a different matter. This clumsiness would make me not wanna vote for it. ... :D

You would expect someone to make sure the pics are nice.......with some attention to detail.......same detail that would have gone in building process of the instrument.

And not so much trying to fry the builder. It's a very nice instrument.

It seems like many folks here are highly judgemental and if you don't like something, just don't vote for it. GOTM isn't a photography contest the last I heard. It's supposed to be fun. When I read stuff like this, it becomes NOT FUN real fast.

It seems like many folks here are highly judgemental and if you don't like something, just don't vote for it. GOTM isn't a photography contest the last I heard. It's supposed to be fun. When I read stuff like this, it becomes NOT FUN real fast.

Amen. This is the most foolish thing I've ever seen. I even tried to add a bit of humor with that chalk outline post, but I guess some people are just perfectionists, right?

RGGR - dude, are you serious? Dude, check the spelling in your original post, and tell me who is "clumsy". Most people don't even see the feet in the picture, but starting this "topis" on the "GTOM" (Goofy Thread Of Month?) is interesting at best.

How's the glass house doing after throwing those stones?

Edited by gpenguins
RGGR - dude, are you serious? Dude, check the spelling in your original post, and tell me who is "clumsy". Most people don't even see the feet in the picture, but starting this "topis" on the "GTOM" (Goofy Thread Of Month?) is interesting at best.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, points taken. :D Dude!!

This is the most foolish thing I've ever seen.

Most foolish thing??? :D

....... but I guess some people are just perfectionists, right?

Sometimes. And maybe I'm all alone on this......but I just think when you put some effort in building a fine instrument, you also should put some effort in presenting the final results.

Isn't the whole point of the GOTM just being that....judgemental. And yeah, I hear ya, of course it should be fun. And of course my posts should be taken as such......

But then again, if you present your work on the internet, in forums like these, you open yourself up to criticism. If you don't like that.....don't post.

Edited by RGGR

Well, criticism of the instrument at least. (or critizism as you say) Feel free to tell me that my instrument is of poor quality or design. Godin SD was the only one to tell me anything about the instrument. He said he doesn't like the bridge. At 15 he already knows the appropriate place for judgement. Thank you Godin SD, it's not my favorite part of the guitar visually either. Unfortunately it's a matter of function. It kind of has to look like that. That said, it's the most comfortable bridge to rest your hand on-ever.

As far as putting effort into the presentation, that would be true if I were selling it. I didn't think I had to "sell" it to you guys. I figured you'd judge it on merit. Even if your post was just to poke fun at me, saying that you wouldn't vote for the guitar because of sneakers is what felt wrong. I can see four other good reasons in that post not to vote for me, and none of them have to do with the photographer.

Edited by frank falbo

Maybe we should turn this thread into something positive, like an instrument photography tutorial. I got a few tips:

1. Shoot outdoors. Unless you have professional lighting and backing, the sun's natural light (on a sunny day, of course) should show off the finish and details. Beware of shadows, though. Your body may block some of the focus or the background, or the sun may be at shuch an angle so that parts of the guitar (like pickups) create a long shadow on the body. Also, make sure the sun is in front of your instrument. Nothing stinks more than a washed out image of a darkened guitar because the sun is behind it.

2. Use a tripod. Blurry pictures can detract from the beauty of the instrument. If you don't have a tripod, use a stepstool, or some other stable surface. If all else fails, use the "sport" function (if you have a digital camera) to decrease the shutter speed. The clarity of the image depends greatly on how much the lens (or object being photographed) moves while the shutter is open.

3. Mind your background. A good background should contrast with the instrument in color, contrast, and brightness. But be sure not to use colors that are too "hot" (i.e. bright red, neon green). As for the texture, make sure it isn't homogenous (meaning all one color or texture). But make sure that there isn't too much of a contrast in shapes or colors, as they may distract the viewer from the main focus. Leaves work well, but grass can be dull. Try not to use a solid color, unless you have a fabric sheet that has wrinkles (to add texture) behind it. It usually looks good if your instrument is brighter (more illuminated) than your background, also.

4. Mind your angles. If you lay the instrument on the ground and photo from above, the angle of the instrument in relevance to the film (or digital sensor) usually looks strange. Your best bet is to lay the instrument against something so that the angle of the body isn't exactly perpendicular to the camera, but not too far off. Your camera lens should be perpendicular to the ground. Shooting a guitar against a wall usually works well if the wall looks nice.

5. Be careful with focus. You want your main item to be as clear as possible, but the background should be a little blurry. This effect is easy to achieve if your instrument is far from your background, or your camera is close to your instrument. Also, with the picture selector on digital and SLR cameras, it's wise to choose the "portrait" option, which puts the main item in focus with the background blurry. But beware, if your lens is not centered on the main item, the camera will put the background into focus.

6. Mind the placement of your instrument. If you have a really interesting background (such as a lake), you may want your instrument off to the side (this works better with people). Cameramen in the movies use the "rule of thirds", in which they divide the screen into thirds vertically and horizontally, and place the focal points at the intersections. For most settings, though, you will want the guitar in the middle of the shot, and as straight as possible.

7. Get photoshop. Either shell out $500 (or something) or pirate it (just kidding... kinda), but it is really worth it. With a little bit of practice, you can edit out sneakers, or add visual effects. One very valuable tool is the level adjusters, which can change the RGB levels, contrast, brightness, sharpness, etc. If you don't know how to use these, perform an "auto levels" function, in which the computer determines the best settings for you. Of course, make sure that the image's biggest dimension is 600 pixels on this forum. If you don't like it, post a link to your giant photo. It may help to crop out some of the background so you can squeeze as much of your guitar as you can into 600 pixels. Also, if you don't have a constant need for a high powered photo editor, just ask a friend (or me) who has it to help you.

8. Invest in a good camera. The digital camera market is growing very fast, and it's getting easier to take quality pictures at low prices. Make sure you have over 2 megapixels for a good resolution. Of course, make sure that the camera is on the biggest resolution/size setting for these important shots. Nothing's more frustrating than spending an hour setting up a great shot, shooting it, and uploading it, only to find that your photos are the size of a postage stamp. If you can't afford a new camera, or you have a quality analog camera, just bring it in to a photo place and ask for digital prints. Most companies will give you a CD with all your photos on it in relatively high quality. This is a good option if you have a quality analog SLR camera, and you don't need to invest in a new digital one.

9. Webspace, webspace. Make sure that you own the bandwidth that you're using to display the image(s) on this forum. There are several rules regarding this. Either buy some webspace, or use www.photobucket.com or www.photojerk.com for free image hosting. The problems with these sites, though, is that you can exceed your daily bandwidth, or the public access options can get screwed up.

That's about it for me.. I encourage others to give some tips of their own.