Help Me Find This Part Please!^_^

I'm building a semi-hollow guitar and I've been trying to make humbucker mounting rings(from wood) for it. I can get everything perfect except the inside. It's amazingly difficult. Anyhoo, someone said on another thread that stewmac sells premade wooden humbucker mounting rings. This is just not the case; i scowered that site to find nothing.

Does anyone know where I can get flamed maple humbucker mounting rings? Wooden rings are critical to the look I'm going for on this guitar.

*EDIT* I found the parts on allparts and specialtyguitar. just for those of you who may need these eventually: they are 70 on allparts and 40 at specialty guitar.

Edited by thegarehanman

I'm building a semi-hollow guitar and I've been trying to make humbucker mounting rings(from wood) for it. I can get everything perfect except the inside. It's amazingly difficult. Anyhoo, someone said on another thread that stewmac sells premade wooden humbucker mounting rings. This is just not the case; i scowered that site to find nothing.

Does anyone know where I can get flamed maple humbucker mounting rings? Wooden rings are critical to the look I'm going for on this guitar.

*EDIT* I found the parts on allparts and specialtyguitar. just for those of you who may need these eventually: they are 70 on allparts and 40 at specialty guitar.

Glad to see you have found them thegarehanman!

Post some pictures of your build when your done (with these wooden Mounting rings)

Im yet to see a guitar that uses them so this could be cool :D

~~ Slain Angel ~~

That's a rip off. You should give another go at making them yourself. If you can build a guitar you can make a pickup ring. I have made one before, had to remake one cause I had the same problem with the inside.

First make a template and mark everything on your piece of wood. Drill your holes first, then using the template route your outside corners only, then drill out the inside then route the inside, then cut the outside and sand it by hand on a flat surface. Should have no problem. Try this again before spending that much on something like this, you can get a nice piece of mahagony at a lumber yard for 70 bucks and build a whole guitar.

Edited by Ragasguitars

ripoff my ass...$40 a pair is quite a good price for something so specialized.

and by the way...i can get enough mahogany to build a whole guitar for about $30 from a cabinet shop...really quality stuff too...i think you may be the one getting over charged.

well,you know...i can build an entire car for about $5000...but that does not mean i am getting ripped off for buying a brand new one for $20,000

it's just outsourcing...saving your efforts for the stuff you like to do and are good at,you know?

mahogany where i get it is about $7.95 a b.f.

that's about 2 and a little more guitars for $70

That's what I built for 70 bucks, a one piece and enough left over to finish up a neck through. I just think its a waste of money to buy something you can build. Especially if you have enough time and skill to build a guitar you have the ability to make wooden pickup rings, that's all. His time and money, just thought I would give him a boost of confidence to try again before he spent his money. No need to attack me for trying to help a guy out.

That's what I built for 70 bucks, a one piece and enough left over to finish up a neck through.  I just think its a waste of money to buy something you can build.  Especially if you have enough time and skill to build a guitar you have the ability to make wooden pickup rings, that's all.  His time and money, just thought I would give him a boost of confidence to try again before he spent his money.  No need to attack me for trying to help a guy out.

no attack...i just think rip off is a harsh term to use about a guy who is only selling VERY nice pickup rings for guys who don't want to build them.

i myself would rather buy them than build them(though i prefer steel rings)

i have all of the tools to build entire guitars but i don't think i would even want to try building wooden rings...i just see a lot of intricate work going down the drain with one slip or tear out

That's a rip off. You should give another go at making them yourself. If you can build a guitar you can make a pickup ring. I have made one before, had to remake one cause I had the same problem with the inside.

First make a template and mark everything on your piece of wood. Drill your holes first, then using the template route your outside corners only, then drill out the inside then route the inside, then cut the outside and sand it by hand on a flat surface. Should have no problem. Try this again before spending that much on something like this, you can get a nice piece of mahagony at a lumber yard for 70 bucks and build a whole guitar.

Rip off is too harsh. Think about what you are saying. This is someone who is offering to sell his time and perform the work to build these. You are thinking only about a small piece of wood. Do a little math. How long does it take for you to find the wood, gas to go buy the wood, time to lay out the patterns (add the expense and time it took to make any templates plus materials), then think about wear and tear on your tools to cut the material, cost of your sand paper, and finally how many hours you will spend doing the work (you won't make min. wage). Add that up and it doesn't sound like such a "rip off". In the mean time you just slammed the reputaion of someone selling hand made parts.

It would be like me saying. David Mykas Guitars are a rip off. I could buy that wood and parts off E-bay for less than $500, and just build it myself. That would sound pretty stupid huh.

Build everything yourself . Buy your own wood (hand selected is the best method). Cut your own trees and dry the wood yourself. You can do everything by yourself it is just relative to how much your time is worth and how much you can invest in tools and supplies.

Just don't slam someone if they offer a solid product. If they charge too much the market will tell them to drop their prices or quit selling.

Peace, Rich

No matter how you cut it (pun intended) you are going to have to deal with some very tricky grain. Very difficult to keep in check, I would think. I wouldn't relish the thought of making my own. I had briefly considered making ebony rings for my guitar before I realized how amazingly difficult it would be to pull it off.

Greg

I am not slamming anyone, all I am saying is that he should give it another shot himself. Besides using some scrap wood that matches the wood you are using already might make for a better look in the long run. I made a pickup ring in less than an hour with some bocote that was left over from the guitar I built. That includes the template. I even had the same problem doing the inside and tried again and it was still less than an hour. Wes just jumped my ass from the get go and it was unecessary, sorry using the term rip off sounds too harsh so I will change it, "You should try building it again yourself using the method I described, and you will save yourself some money if you can pull it off. Shouldn't take more than an hour." If you want, buy it from someone else, just my suggestion, just like everyone else has a suggestion. You people take things to heart too much. All I was trying to do is help someone.

Dude,

I got no problem with your trying to motivate someone. I have no problem with your suggestion that he could save on the cost if he does the work himself. Your intension to offer helpful suggestions is great. I ONLY have a problem with you slamming someone else who has done nothing to deserve it. It is just wrong to do that IMO.

Now if you want to slam Perry for charging $120 per. hour for simple set ups have at it :D

Perry would be another example of a person who has the skills and knowledge that make his time very expensive, but absolutely worth every penny.

Peace, Rich

Perry would be another example of a person who has the skills and knowledge that make his time very expensive, but absolutely worth every penny.

thats like when you need some electrical thing fixed and the guy opens it up, tests it with a multi meter, puts it back together, thumps it and charges you $60.08. its $0.08 to thump it, and $60 to know where to thump it. if you cant do something yourself, be prepared to pay the highly skilled for their knowledge, not just their skills.

I've made rings. If I could pay $40 to a competent worker for some good ones I'd do that instead. Everyone's time is worth something, including mine. Yes, if I wanted to use the same piece from some other part of the guitar I'd do it myself again, but for a typical species ring I wouldn't hesitate to pay, even for the $70 ones if they're good.

WHOA!!! I just checked out S.G. and that's $40 for the PAIR?!! There's no way I'd be making my own for $20 each, materials included. Even $25 for Ebony is fantastic. Even if they're rough, and I need to sand them and finish them, that guy wins "bargain of the week" in my view.

thats like when you need some electrical thing fixed and the guy opens it up, tests it with a multi meter, puts it back together, thumps it and charges you $60.08. its $0.08 to thump it, and $60 to know where to thump it. if you cant do something yourself, be prepared to pay the highly skilled for their knowledge, not just their skills.

WHOA!!! I just checked out S.G. and that's $40 for the PAIR?!! There's no way I'd be making my own for $20 each, materials included. Even $25 for Ebony is fantastic. Even if they're rough, and I need to sand them and finish them, that guy wins "bargain of the week" in my view.

that's what i'm screamin'

I also charge 25% extra because im good looking.

don't try to horn in on my gig...i am the looker on this forum :D

I also charge 25% extra because im good looking.

Search for guilford-custom-guitars on ebay. He sells cocobolo, flame maple, and brazilian rosewood pickup rings.