Duplicating Carver - What Do You Make Of This?

komodo

Howdy,

I saw this and wondered what the more experienced thought about it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...ssPageName=WDVW

I had recently looked that the Terrco machines and others that people sent links too. This one looks like it would be the right size and price, but wonder if there's something I may not be seeing or thinking about?

Thanks!

KOMODO :D

Edited by komodo

If you interest in a larger machine, or a multi spindle machine let us know we build them all and we can set up an auction for any item you need.

Sounds like they make them themselves. Nice price. I would wonder why the rollers/bearings on the two main tracks are different on either side, though. That may say something about their build/quality control.....

I would wonder why the rollers/bearings on the two main tracks are different on either side, though.

I think the rollers on the one side are not notched to fit the pipe in order to create some tolerance when mounting the carver to a table. If both sides had notched rollers, the main beams would have to be mounted perfectly parallel to each other or the router car would bind up. With one flat roller, one main beam can be off a little bit and the flat roller will just slide across it.

Edited by jer7440

That unit doesnt look wide enough to do carved tops, you should be able to do necks easily enough.

It says it can duplicate an area "18" wide by 34" deep". I can't imagine not being able to do a top on that. I was wondering more about the bearings. Seems most other machines use linear bearings? Also I don't know about the stylus . . .I can't figure out how you adjust that or is you could swap it out? i don't know a bunch about duplicating carvers, but don't you have to match a stylus to a carving bit?

KOMODO :D

I would imagine you could use Terrco stylus in that, which mounts just like that machine does. It slides in and a set screw holds it whatever height it needs to be. In my case I'd recommend using a 3/4" roundnose bit, and a 3/4" stylus ball. You can get both from Terrco for around $40, high quality also. The picture of that duplicarver looks smaller than it is probably. It looks like a small machine, but then if you look at the person in the background you can get an idea of how big it is. Just call Terrco and tell them what you need, there number is one there website to contact them.

Terrco Duplicarvers

Really? I didn't find I needed one, but our machine was kind of heavy, on purpose, so it would absorb the inertia. It's like it was easy to push around for the user, but not for the router bit to yank it around unnecessarily.

Or do you mean the brake is useful for making parallel passes across a top? Because I found that after you cleaned most of the material away, making several random passes did more to ensure a uniform surface after sanding. I also wanted multidirectional movement so I could follow the shape of the guitar on carves.

The way I read it was that the available area was 18", not enough for 2 tops. I dont know, it looks pretty narrow judging from the size of the router housing in relation to the rest of the unit but then again the picture angle makes the guys feet look tiny so I could be wrong.