They Call Me Mr. Purpleheart!

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay Drak, let me get this right; you scrapped that perfectly good body because Wes didn't like it?? You do such killer work and I love that burl. I want your skills but don't have the patience :D Make me a tele body.

That's so SLICK Drak!!

Do you get alot of buring useing that or Is it fine If the disk is sharp?

!!METAL MATT!! :D

The disc isn't 'sharp', it's overlapping bits of sandpaper. I believe it's called a flap sanding disc. I finally found some but they don't fit on my wannabe grinder, so I'm going to have to consider buying an actual grinder if I want to try this method out. :D

Greg

The disc isn't 'sharp',

:D Ok that's Just How it works In my grinder World B)

Something new cut's (grinds) good and fast!! = sharp

where as an old one barely cut's, burns, = dull

What I want to know Is If the maple burns no matter what because of the high speed (if You go at it full speed at all)

No, I got no burning at all with this wheel.

Really Man That's So Cool :D So You just sand out the Shape useing the grinder and Clean it up by hand?

Edited by !!METAL MATT!!

I think I will have to invest in one of those disks for my future projects. I got a dremel to literally light on fire while carving the top for my semi hollow neck through. I only paid $50 for a new dremel and the old one was from the 70's. So in the end, it was completely worth seeing that thing toast. It's gratifying in a weird way.

Drak, if you havent checked, you got a PM

Nice lookin guitar by the way, one question though, why didnt you route for the pickups before the carve?? i always though that would be easier to do when its not carved

Looking great (as usual) Drak!!

Curtis

The disc isn't 'sharp', it's overlapping bits of sandpaper.  I believe it's called a flap sanding disc.  I finally found some but they don't fit on my wannabe grinder, so I'm going to have to consider buying an actual grinder if I want to try this method out.  :D

Greg

Greg, No offense, but it doesn't look like the sandpaper things that I have seen. DRAK, can you verify?

Thanks,

Marty

None taken; however, he DID mention the grit used, it LOOKS like gritty sandpaper, and it bears a striking similarity to this:

Click me for Grizzly Flap Disc

I could be wrong, though. How could I be offended by someone wanting to be sure so that they could try it on their own? :D

Greg

Since its only carved around the edges, the router still has a flat surface to set on.

Not true at all, look at those pics, the whole thing is carved, and routing for pkps will be a PITA, but I will figure it out, I have some ideas.

And yes, the disc is the one Greg described.

Since its only carved around the edges, the router still has a flat surface to set on.

Not true at all, look at those pics, the whole thing is carved, and routing for pkps will be a PITA, but I will figure it out, I have some ideas.

And yes, the disc is the one Greg described.

Whoops, thats what I get for just glancing at the pics!