New Project, Relic'ed Strat!

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

apparently it's all the rage for huffing these days which is just sad.. dumbasses getting  frostbite on their tongues and stuff.  Apparently several kids have died recently.  I swear some people will try anything once no matter how stupid it is.

I just saw today that kids have been dying because they've been choking/fainting themselves to get high. I knew kids who did that in high school (mostly freshmen girls), and I never understood it. I always preferred beer.

As far as CO2, it'll get cold. Just about any compressed gas that's allowed to escape a pressurized vessel should get chilly.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...

I just recieved great information as for relic'ing techniques from a guy who is selling relic's on ebay

"For nitro,...use canned air for cleaning cameras and computers,...upside down....

Wear gloves as this is COLD, COLD....

be careful as the checking is invisible at first.

Get some very fine dirt like from a pitchers mound that is well raked and mix it with dirty motor

oil and the checking will jump out at you and simulate your greasy hands over a period of years.

Forget plastic finishes....they DO check but they just melt back together immediatly...

For the metal first use a fine bead set up bead blasting kit to dull the finish, and then you can

use a brine mixture to rust it...

Look up how to make brine online...."

Heres more Q and A's

Q) How would you relic plastic like pickguards, pickup covers, trem covers, etc?

A) Get some tea. Specifically, Earl Grey tea. Mix up a STRONG batch...put in the plastic or bone parts,...and do NOT get this on the countertop,

it is the tea that is responsible for the yellowed teeth on the British people... Do the physical distressing first,,, so it does not wear through...

Q) What's your take on fingerboard wear? I've heard using a chemical stripper with a q tip will do it.

A) Yes, that works,...and a sharpend spoon to simulate the wear of uncut fingetnails,...it is about the

right radii...

it is the tea that is responsible for the yellowed teeth on the British people

Haha! it's amazing how weird you Americans think we are - the only people with yellow teeth in this country are not botherd with personal hygene or smokers. We dont all look like the "stereotypes"

here in texas we drink alot of tea,and it DOES have a staining effect...but more brown...yellowing tends to come from minerals in the water supply,such as sulphur.

many,many older texans do have coffee and tea stained teeth(tobacco as well)...i fight against it constantly...most people use the bleaching toothpastes,but i have reactions to the peroxide,so i just have to do the best i can with a sonicare toothbrush and regular old flouride toothpaste.

i like the relicing on those nash guitars, i HATE how people over-relic things (have a look at alex vander linde's site, that is over relicing somthing chronic), makes them look crapper than they should be for their age... i mean cmon who is gonna abuse a brand new strat???

thats my 2c

luke

:D

many,many older texans do have coffee and tea stained teeth(tobacco as well)...i fight against it constantly...most people use the bleaching toothpastes,but i have reactions to the peroxide,so i just have to do the best i can with a sonicare toothbrush and regular old flouride toothpaste.

I heard baking soda is good at keeping teeth white.

id love to, but i need to keep this one on the quiet so i dont risk any sort of warranty/authorized repairer deals i have

Ya, politics....

How long is the warrenty? I WANNA SEE lol

I've read that the way to age metal parts is to (and I can't remember exactly, so PLEASE RESEARCH IT) either suspend them over or put them in circuit board etchant. You can get a big thing of it from Radio Shack. I've read lots of great relicing threads on the FDP.

I read about a guy who got a bunch of cheap incense (to simulate years of smoke from a bar), lit it all up at once in a big plastic bucket and put his parts in the bucket.

I also read about Fender Custom Shop guys using a bunch of keys and dropping them repeatedly onto the finish. This would give you fairly random little chips, etc.

I guess you just have to use your imagination and try stuff. I had a friend who tried soaking all of his plastic parts in very strong coffee for like a week. He took them out and they were shiny, bright white. You might need to scuff up the plastic first.

Anyway, you'll have to use a lot of trial and error and many of the things you'll be using can be dangerous. Please be careful.

it is the tea that is responsible for the yellowed teeth on the British people

Haha! it's amazing how weird you Americans think we are - the only people with yellow teeth in this country are not botherd with personal hygene or smokers. We dont all look like the "stereotypes"

:D And we Americans aren't all fat, loud, pensioners with odd trousers. :D

I purchased the pcb etchant the other night and used it on my back plate and tuning knobs. The back plate came out perfect because it was all steel. But the knobs showed some sort of bronze or brass under the chrome. So i have to find a way to relic those (make them dull and not shiny)

Also, i got some brass wool (couldnt get a hold of steel wool quick enough) and started going at my guitars finish. It surely made a difference! I love the way it looks. Now i have to find ways to chip it. I have a tool on my leatherman that chipped very nicely on my squier, but on this guitar it was hard to do because i think the finish was thick. I tried it on the part under the pickguard and all it did was make scratches, not chip. I guess I'll try the "catch keys with guitar" technique and let you guys know.

Oh yeah, I heard you can crack a poly finish with liquid nitro, but i cant get a hold of that :D . I will try putting the guitar in the freezer tonight, just to see if it will crack (It has been hot lately around here) and now is a good time to try. Any examples of scoring to make the effect? I wanna see pics. Thanks for reading guys

Maybe this will be stickied?

ZiKi

i just took a look at nash guitars again and i noticed his pickguards arent really brown, they all seem pretty white.. gonna look at vintage guitars on ebay and see what they look like.

*edit* K here are some ebay links of vintage guitars

1965 strat

1965 White?? Guitar. Seems the edges near the pickups are a little yellow

1958 Strat, werent the pickguards make of bakelite? I think it doesnt age if they were.

Edited by ZiKi

Okay, today i started sanding the finish, started with 600 to 800 wet on some parts, and 1000 to finish. then i found some kiwi brown shoe polish and it nicely browned the wood. Some parts of the guitar are duller than others because the 1000grit took away the shine from the part i scratched with the wool. I dont know if im going to dull the whole guitar, or make it shiny and bronze wool it again. What would you prefer? A half shiny guitar with swirls all over, or a dull guitar with unnoticable swirls?

DUNDUNDUN...I went to go do some final things to my guitar today. One of the things i did was drilled new neck holes and strung it up

and to my surprise...the strings didn't line up!

The low E string was hanging off the side, and any adjustments i did to the tremelo had no avail. What should i do?

The neck doesnt fit snug into the pocket, so that could be why it is off.

:-/

I called up my local guitar repairman and he said to loosen the joint a little and try adjusting it, which i did. The strings are aligned good at the nut but it seems to get wider as it goes to the tremelo and the low e is pretty much off the board at the last fret. any tremelo adjustments i can do?