Template issues...

Ok, I've got two issues with the template I have for a neck pocket (purchased from StewMac), and I need some answers as to how to best use this thing...

1) According to the StewMac literature, the template is constructed to be .04" larger than an actual neck. They suggest taping the bearing(s) of the router to compensate for this. I've tried with electrical tape, and it lasts less than a second against the edge of the template... what would you guys suggest?

2) Securing this bad boy. The diagram provided by StewMac shows a pair of pipe clamps with the biggest freakin lips on them that I've ever seen (and have never seen on a real pipe clamp). As I don't own a pair of these, how do you guys hold down template when you're using them?

Thanks...

dave had the exact same problem a week ago, read LGM's reply in regards to the collar for the router, he also provided an excellent illustration!

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.ph...t=ST&f=6&t=1739

If you don't have the collar you can put tape on the inside of the template itself, or use a larger bearing on the router bit. as for holding the template down if you're in the US go to your local ACE Hardware Store and buy the ACE Brand Carpet Tape it looks like Mesh and is the strongest stuff We've found for holding templates. We use it for holding complete body templates for the Pin Router. Any left over adhesive can be cleaned up with Naptha of Acetone(Nail Polish Remover)

Thanks for the tape tip... I've tried placing the tape on the template itself: it just comes off as the base of the router passes over it, isn't good for more than one pass, and gums everything up. The problem with bearing size is that the bit is .5", and I've yet to see a bearing that's .54" or .55" inches... :D

I ended up making my own routing template. It was actually very easy and more accurate for the neck I had made. All I did was use strips of straight-edged wood along each side of the pocket and one strip between them where the pocket ends near the pickups. I used double stick tape to do most of the holding. Since the side strips were long enough, I used clamps down near the bridge area to provide more security.

It worked great - it matches my neck profile exactly and provided a snug fit.

I wouldn't struggle with making the template work unless you are not comfortable using your own.

P.S - I also ran a couple of practice routs on scrap before using this method on the real thing. I would highly recommend doing this to build confidence and work out clamping/support issues. Obviously, don't attempt it on the real thing until you are sure it works.

Dave

P.S - I also ran a couple of practice routs on scrap before using this method on the real thing. I would highly recommend doing this to build confidence and work out clamping/support issues. Obviously, don't attempt it on the real thing until you are sure it works.

Dave

Listen to Dave :D

Dave

Listen to Dave :D

That's how I know all of this stuff... I've been doing that. I'm not that nuts!

Scott: the bearings are free-rotating. They're just on there loose like an idler gear, not turning with the bit. I really don't know why the tape goes as fast as it does, but I can't deal with it.

I've used the same exact neck router template (Stew-Mac) for several years now, along with several different neck varieties (Warmoth, Stew-Mac, Carvin, etc...) on my own custom-built bodies.

And I have never had to 'tape' anything to compensate for it being oversized. They make it that way on purpose because they figure the finish will eat up the rest of the space, which it pretty much does, all of my neck pockets have nice tight fits.

I'm wondering if you are chasing shadows trying to do this 'compensate' thing? Just wondering out loud...seems you are getting frustrated on a step that I never even do?

PS, I scored a permanent line down the dead-center of the template to help me line the neck up with the centerline of the guitar...

PPS, when you use double-sided tape (ala the carpet tape) SMASH that sucker down as hard as you possibly can to make sure the template doesn't slide on you. I mean LEAN on it! :D 2-sided tape sticks harder the harder you press on it.

Gently try to move it side-to-side before you fire up the router to make absolutely sure it's not going to move.

I normally use one clamp at the tail end of the guitar to assist keeping it in place, as well as using 2-sided tape...

Try to use as little tape as you can get by with also. I usually use 3 pieces of tape about 1" square (give or take) one on each side of the pocket, and one at the base (sometimes below the neck pkp cavity) ...along with the clamp at the tail end.

The problem with the finish issue... I'm oiling this sucker.

I'll definately have to check out that carpet tape though, and give that a shot. Thanks.

edit: BTW, it is noticably loose when cut. I may just try to place a shim on the bass side when I do it for real. What do you think?

OK listen go to www.rockler.com , they have a great selection of tools and some smaller exotic woods and all kinds of fun stuff. buy a router template guide set! there not that much$ they are excactly 29.99$ for a whole set of them!!! just buy it ! they are very useful.

and also for holding down the template(depending on how big it is, you could mount little screws in were the pups go.

OK listen go to www.rockler.com , they have a great selection of tools and some smaller exotic woods and all kinds of fun stuff. buy a router template guide set! there not that much$ they are excactly 29.99$ for a whole set of them!!! just buy it ! they are very useful.

and also for holding down the template(depending on how big it is, you could mount little screws in were the pups go.

i think that is an excelent idea(the screws)

its what i do for all my templates! its great

you just route the pick ups in last. i also just put them any where on the body for when i do the guitar back cause its just two kittle screw holes that then will be covered by the maple carved top! i use tape sometimes if i have to but i trust screws! then you know it wont move! and make sure you counter sink them so the router lays nice and flat! ive been using some pickguard cover screws that are like 5/16 or something they work great and you always have them laying around! if you do you template routing in diferent stages you can have each template with srews in the spot where yoo;;e be routing next! for example, first you route the main body so put one in the neck area and the bridge pickup and the control cavity, then after that do the neck rout so put them in the other two spots, and so on.....

then you only need to use the tape for the pickup routes. thats my tip for the day! im spent..... :D

ps i do the same for my neck templates also!

OK listen go to www.rockler.com , they have a great selection of tools and some smaller exotic woods and all kinds of fun stuff. buy a router template guide set! there not that much$  they are excactly 29.99$ for a whole set of them!!! just buy it ! they are very useful.

i think that is an excelent idea(the screws)

It's an idea I played around with for a while, but carpet tape holds just as well with less f*&^-up potential.

And Jer, I'm not sure I understood you there. I've got three or four freely rotating bearings on the bit, wrap those suckers in tin tape, and you're good to go.