Fretboard Radius & Bridge Radius

What's up everyone? For my guitar project I was going to get a neck with a 10" fretboard radius. I don't have the neck yet, but I do have the Tonepros AVT2 wraparound brigde that I will be using. I just now realized that the AVT2 has a 12" radius. Is this going to be a problem when trying to set up my guitar later on? Should I change the fretboard radius to a 12" or will I be ok staying with a 10" radius?? :D

What's up everyone? For my guitar project I was going to get a neck with a 10" fretboard radius. I don't have the neck yet, but I do have the Tonepros AVT2 wraparound brigde that I will be using. I just now realized that the AVT2 has a 12" radius. Is this going to be a problem when trying to set up my guitar later on? Should I change the fretboard radius to a 12" or will I be ok staying with a 10" radius?? :D

If you really want to stick with that bridge you're either going to have E strings floating in high action outer space with a 10". Going with a 12" which is more common to work with in general.

Yeah... now the problem is that you can change easy from a smaller to a flat radius cuz you simple sand more in the sides. From a smaller to a flat radius you have to sand down the entire board. So I think the fretboard will be a bit more thin. If you can set more low the bridge this isn't really an issue.

• 1 year later...

since OFR nut's have a radius of 10" and my fretboard is going to be around 14' or 16', is there a way that i can compensate for this or adjust the action for the individual strings?

Basically would a OFR work on a 14" fretboard. cuz jackson does that with high end models and still keep that flat jackson feel so..... how? how do they do it? with custom nuts?

thanks for the help

since OFR nut's have a radius of 10" and my fretboard is going to be around 14' or 16', is there a way that i can compensate for this or adjust the action for the individual strings?

Basically would a OFR work on a 14" fretboard. cuz jackson does that with high end models and still keep that flat jackson feel so..... how? how do they do it? with custom nuts?

Read up on compound radius.Jackson guitars with floyds have compound radius fretboards(as well as other manufacturers)

I can't find the link but I found a web page with about 20 famous guitarists setups from the guy who actually did the mantainence, showing string guages, action, pickup heights, pole piece heights etc.....the most interesting part: neck radius & bridge radius. I'm fairly sure that SRV & Jeff Beck had 9.5"/10" neck radius & 12" saddle radius. In fact I don't think that any of the guitars had the same fingerboard/saddle radius, even the Les Pauls. Perhaps someone knows the site I'm thinking of?

The difference between 10" and 12" is very slight over the 1 5/8" to 2 1/4" width of a six string fretboard.It is really negligible,other factors are much more important...like a level fret job.

The bottom line is that you will be fine with a 10" radius and a 12" bridge.I make mine all as perfectly as i can,but that is more just from a standpoint of "if I know it's not right,why do it?"

does this mean that having a relatively flat fretboard with an OFR does not really go hand in hand?

for example could i adjust the action on the bridge side (the saddles)? or would there then, be an imbalance because the bridge radius would be 16 or 18 and the nut would be 10 and i t would feel weird

thanks for help

EDIT- just did some browsing on stewmac and stumbled across some compound radius fretboards!!!!:D

so i could install this and the nut would be ok but one question still hasn't been answered.

can the floyd rose adjust the action on the saddles for the strings (you know how fixed bridges (it's all ive ever used) have hexagonal screws and you get an allen wrench to adjust the action?)?

Edited by JOAMdude

If you did find that the 12" bridge radius was not right for your 10" fretboard it only takes a minute or two with a nut file to put right - especially easy on T-O-M's and wrap-arounds, not so easy on Floyds

im not so sure you get what i asked.

i don't have a 10" fretboard, it's a 14" and yeah filing the locking nut is nicht so gut.

BTW i edited and have a question in above post

If you did find that the 12" bridge radius was not right for your 10" fretboard it only takes a minute or two with a nut file to put right - especially easy on T-O-M's and wrap-arounds, not so easy on Floyds

im not so sure you get what i asked.

i don't have a 10" fretboard, it's a 14" and yeah filing the locking nut is nicht so gut.

BTW i edited and have a question in above post

really sorry to be so chatty about this. but i've just discovered that floyd rose manufactures a 15" nut, would this work for a 14" fretboard?

maybe i should just go kahler :D

Read up on compound radius.Jackson guitars with floyds have compound radius fretboards(as well as other manufacturers)

this confuses me, i just emailed the support at floyd and they said that all of their bridges are set at 10" radius at the bridge end. how can there be 10"-16" when both ends are at the same radius

I just mean I think you should read the pinned topics and the main site.These questions are all covered so many times here and through the web.You do yourself a disservice by not reading and studying instead of just asking here.

Then once you know the basics,you can jump into the more advanced discussions and become a guitar tone philosopher like all the rest of uus think we are. :D

(do you like death metal?: Death, Atheist, etc.)

I like some death metal....(Death,Warface(they are new to me),Suffocation,Bloodbath,(is Meshuggah death?),and so on...)

I am not familiar with Atheist...I am mostly a thrash metal guy(Slayer,Lamb Of God,Exodus,etc...)