Best Blues Rig For Under $500

johnsilver

Haven't tried a blues combo but I can tell you that the overdrive on the hot rod series is terrible since I own one. The clean is simply amazing though imo. Haven't found an amp to come close yet to it clean wise.

My tweed Blues Deville cost me $600 used in great condition.

I've had it since...'97 or '98 and have had no problems with it.

I always let it warm up and I make sure to give the knobs a turn about once a week so they don't get dust build up and sound scratchy.

I'm not the only one though. Torres engineering has a mod to fix it because they got emails asking how to fix the mud in it. It's true, it's really muddy. It sounds like a low-gain solando lol. One guy mentioned getting a booster but I don't use the overdrive. If it were up to me I'd take the clean only! lol

I like your sig vankirk :D

-Jamie

OK, and the winner is!!!!!!!!

Fender Tweed Champ

Dr. Z Carmen Ghia

Pete Cage 18 Watt

Marshall 18 Watt

Musicman Sixty-four

Peavy Classic 20

Fender Deluxe Reverb II

Fender Princeton

Fender Hot Rod DeVille

Fender Blues DeVille reissue

Line 6 Flextone II or II Combo

Fender Pro Junior

Fender Blues Junior

Gibson GA 20

Fender Deluxe

Danelectro Viscount

Valco/Supro dual 6x6

Hughes & Kettner

Musicman Sixty-five

It's all clear now.... :D

Anyway, thanks for the responses. One day when I grow up I'll find my solution. In the meantime, I might look into a resomaster or something. :D

I'd like to own one of these Roland Microcubes. The amp belongs to a friend who makes money downtown playing on street corners. The guy makes a tidy living, hes real good. :D I've never seen such a versatile little unit, runs on half a dozen AA batteries or adapter plugin. Its got a built in tuner and TONS of effects.

amp0010ry.jpg

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/4853/amp0026hy.jpg

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/4376/amp0036dj.jpg

Edited by Southpa

Well, if you need a loud setup, my idea probably won't work, but Crate has a tube amp called a V8 Palamino 5W. It's got two 12AX7 and two EL84 tubes so it should sound fairly good. And then you could pick up the Marshall Bluesbreaker pedal and I'd say you'd have a good setup. If you need louder though, you could buy the 15W Palamino amp, but I dunno. The Vox Valvetronix series can also give you a wide range of sounds from blues to metal and is fairly cheap.

Yeah, Nik at Ceriatone is offering great quality for price, reportedly - for the more eclectic tastes, he's also offering M@rsh@ll 18 watters and M@tchlëss Sptifires and Lightnings as kits. I've exchanged a few emails with him, and he's quite helpful, even though I still haven't actually bought anything.

Wes, thanks for the link. Very interesting. Too bad none of the pictures worked on the site - I'll try again later. Presumably, the amps are wired for 110V and not 220V that they use in Malaysia. I'll email to find out.

Funny coincidence - my company just announced last week that we are transferring one of our employees and family from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia (where Ceriatone is based) back to Houston. Maybe I can get him to mule an amp back for me with his relocation shipment. Since he will report to me in Houston, shouldn't be a problem. :D

Wes, thanks for the link.  Very interesting.  Too bad none of the pictures worked on the site - I'll try again later.  Presumably, the amps are wired for 110V and not 220V that they use in Malaysia.  I'll email to find out.

Funny coincidence - my company just announced last week that we are transferring one of our employees and family from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia (where Ceriatone is based) back to Houston.  Maybe I can get him to mule an amp back for me with his relocation shipment.  Since he will report to me in Houston, shouldn't be a problem.  :D

Must be in the oil business. I think my old company, COP, had offices there.

Yeah, the Ceria Tone stuff looks interesting. Unfortunately shipping is nuts unless you order something under a pound since they're in Malaysia. Any of the chasis would probably be prohibitively expensive.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...