Pictures Of Raw Mop

Drak

I just got my pearl order in, and I don't know about you all, but even with all the cool pearl inlay designs I've seen pics of, and the pics offered at the various MOP sites, and the great info from the pearl guys here, ...I really had no idea exactly what it was I would be receiving, I was pretty much in the dark as they say, but you know, you have to put a foot out there and take the first step, so I ordered a few different types, and when I got them in, I thought it would be a good idea to share some pics of the raw product so everyone can see exactly what it is you get when you order some pearl.

I hope these pics help a few others out there know in advance what it is they're getting.

BTW, I got this order from Andy DePaule, and he is a -very- class act. Extremely nice and helpful, and the pearl is beautiful, I can't wait to get started. :D

Thanks Andy, and enjoy the pics.

In the pics with the dishes, I have covered the pieces with water to highlight the figure.

In the 'overall' shot with the ruler, the pieces are dry. I used a ruler and a can of Coke so there is a frame of reference for you, and you get to see them wet and dry.

Each group is an ounce, btw.

The Gold MOP is a 'large blank' order, btw.

Here is an overall shot so you can see differences in size of pieces.

Remember, the Gold plate is an order of Large Gold pieces.

AllPlates.jpg

Cut out piece of an apple. I don't know what color your fretboard looks like, but I'm thinking gold MOP for the middle of the apple, Pau abalone or pink MOP for the skin, and black MOP for the stem. You are doing a sourburst afterall. Even better...if you can't do an apple piece on your fretboard because it won't contrast enough(and if you're against wrapping the inlay in gold wire to make it stand out), inlay the apple piece in the center of your sunburst where it's just plain maple.

mmmm....apples

greenapple.jpgredapple.jpg

peace,russ

Cut out piece of an apple. I don't know what color your fretboard looks like, but I'm thinking gold MOP for the middle of the apple, Pau abalone or pink MOP for the skin, and black MOP for the stem. You are doing a sourburst afterall. Even better...if you can't do an apple piece on your fretboard because it won't contrast enough(and if you're against wrapping the inlay in gold wire to make it stand out), inlay the apple piece in the center of your sunburst where it's just plain maple.

mmmm....apples

greenapple.jpgredapple.jpg

peace,russ

that is a brilliant idea...i like it

Drak,

Decide on your image, then your materials/color choices.

Not vice versa.

You'll have more direction if you have a goal in mind then just waiting for colors to dictate what to do. Of course that's also a big part of it, but it's most liklely best to think in terms of image-then materials.

Craig L.

Anybody have an idea what I should do with this stuff?

I'm clueless so far, just trying to imagine shapes and designs...

:D  :D  B)

If you go to my site under the "Workshop" section, there is a link call the "Pegasys Project". That might give you some ideas. Email me if you have questions.

The black MOP you have is pretty rainbow. If it's like that on both sides, I'd send it back. The Pink is really nice though.

Who was your supplier?

Drak,

Was the light put that close so we could see it better? LOL

I want to get me some, my thought was little "saturn" planets. never seen them but I'm sure someone has done it. I also thought Roman Numerals might look pretty killer.

The black MOP you have is pretty rainbow. If it's like that on both sides, I'd send it back. The Pink is really nice though.

Who was your supplier?

He mentioned it earlier: DePaule Supply. He's got various grades of Black MOP (At various price points, I might add). Stuff I got a while back was darker overall, #1 quality.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~mvalente/inlay/blanks_MOP2.jpg

Me, I've been very happy with the stuff Andy sells. Tell him what exactly you're looking for, and I'm sure he can provide it. Good product, good service, good prices, good shipping costs. What's not to love, eh?

Clavin, I used the same philosophy that I use with my dyes, which is always have a little of everything on hand, so with the pearl, I'm doing the same thing.

I probably have 20-30 (or more maybe) different colors and packets and bottles of dyes, I'm just doing the same thing with the pearl. :D