Rawhide!

Drak

Listen up you varmints afore'n I pop ya one or three with mah pistoleros! :D

I almost -always- route my neck pkp right near the end of the build, I've said that many times before.

Why? Because that's leaves my options open until the very last minute and makes the leveling process easier.

Sometimes I don't even route for a bridge pkp or even a bridge, I'm FLEXABLE like dat.

P-90, HB, 2 SC's, whatever I want, I can make up my mind right at the end, when I see how the personality of the guitar is coming along.

:D:DB)

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Listen up you varmints afore'n I pop ya one or three with mah pistoleros!  B)

I almost -always- route my neck pkp right near the end of the build, I've said that many times before.

Why? Because that's leaves my options open until the very last minute and makes the leveling process easier.

Sometimes I don't even route for a bridge pkp or even a bridge, I'm FLEXABLE like dat.

P-90, HB, 2 SC's, whatever I want, I can make up my mind right at the end, when I see how the personality of the guitar is coming along.

:D  B)  :D

Still doesn't fully explain the 5th control hole... is there still hope for the guitar playing rawhide when touched? :D

(Elwood) What kind of music do you play here?

(Woman behind Bar) Oh we got both kinds, Country AND Western smile.gif

WILMA, GIVE THAT MAN A PAIR OF SHINY NEW SADDLE SPURS!

OK, I can talk about the harness and holes for a minute. B)

My typical layout on most of my guitars these days involves the use of an EMG Afterburner pre-amp, and 1,2, or even 3 of their specialty pots, like the SPC and EXG among others.

The use of the Afterburner is the 'meeting point' between the 'regular' part of the wiring assembly (the pkps, switch, and volume/tone pots) and the rest of the EMG specialty pots. You can't use their specialty pots with regular pkp wiring assemblies unless you use the Afterburner or the PA2.

So, (going pot closest to bridge pkp to rear) 1-volume, 2-tone, 3-Afterburner.

Bottom row, 4-SPC, 5-EXG.

This can be changed considerably, this is just a typical example.

I can use EMG pkps if I want, or Harmonic Designs, Bardens, Lace Sensors, whatever I want to use, then I get to alter the sound CONSIDERABLY with the EMG pots.

This allows me an -incredibly- versatile instrument (without a gazillion mini-switches), as I get the INITIAL tone I want because I get to pick whatever pkps I want (tone choice) then I get to shape their sound tons of ways, then I get to boost the crap out of it all if I want (the Afterburner can be turned down or completely off) to drive the front end of the amp or effects very hard, I do NOT have to rely on HOT pkps to achieve the grind. I can choose beautifully clean pkps if I want, the pre-amp will boost whatever you put in front of it.

The few requirements of such a custom harness are that you shield the LIVING CRAP out of your instrument. My guitars are shielded as thoroughly as a guitar could ever possibly be, they are 100% shielded, PERIOD.

Why? Because the pre-amp will pick up EVERYTHING. Pkps, hum, buzz, white noise, Scott Rosenberger meowing into the pkps, whatever, so you need to drop the noise floor down to ZEEE-ROOO, and the use of noiseless or semi-noiseless pkps helps a lot. They don't have to be EMG's tho. Bardens, Harmonic Designs, Bill Lawrence, Lace Sensors all work great.

So you shield it thoroughly and choose pkps that are known for their quietness, and you are then Stone Free to Do as you Please, (cuz I know you) ...gotta gotta gotta get away!

Bottom line, my guitars are all about versatility, lots and lots of versatility, the kind of versatility -I- want, might not work for YOU, and not by using 20 mini-switches that all sound a lot alike, hehehe.

I mean, that's what it's all about for me, to build guitars that are -sooo- custom suited to what -I- like and want, that they're like wearing a pair of Speedos for me. :D

Cool woods are great and all that, but in the end, the GUITAR overall has to be usable, playable, and versatile (if that's your bag).

Can you NOT see the centerline drawn?

That centerline was taken by putting a square next to the real centerline going thru the body.

That damn steerhead is as perfectly up and down as one could get it.

Oops my bad, I saw you drew the lines and I don't doubt you I was just confused because I just looked at it quick as i left for work and i forgot that the tele was sitting on a bit of an angle. :D

It looks real purdy, makes me want some red meat... :D

Whew! We had Frankie Lane, Marty Robbins, and Sons of the Pioneers all in one post! ...and a whole bunch of others who re-recorded all them songs, too.

Brought back memories of my dad's albums playing on his mono hi-fi record player. :D I'm gettin' all sentimental here... :D

Great guitar Drak! The cow makes the whole thing.

I have to be honest, from the way you were hyping this thing I wasnt sure what to expect. I do like it a lot, the burst flows perfectly, but I can't say I am 100% blown away. I do like it though. I cant wait to see it finished. You owe it to us to finish a guitar! If for nothing else than having to read all your rediculous country lyrics!

Nothin' worse than hissy cat breath. :D

I like the burst--what did you use for that?

Exactly what do you mean, the exact colors? I thought I covered that earlier..?

Is the top spalted maple? I was a little unclear from you initial post - really nice wood, where did you get it?

I got it off the 'bay from sandispalt, same place Coen got his. Probably got that piece for $15.00 or so. But that's what I enjoy doing, taking a piece no one else would look twice at and doing something interesting with it.

Frankly, I'm not over Greenie-- mostly because it was my one chance to live vicariously through a master like you-- but this one certainly does justice to its memory. Congrats!

Hmmmm, no ~master~ here, just a backyard builder. :D

anyway, not the colors, but the process --the 'poor man's burst' method?

No, I do have a 'normal' spray setup, except I use a BBQ propane tank as my air reservoir holding tank, and an Old Maple Tree as a 'booth'. B)

I'll take a pic of my spray rig tonight and post it.

Ghetto and shoestring as all hell, but 10 years going now and works great.

Except for the occasional gnat. Got 2 of those bastards yesterday!

But with this guitar and it's 'Rustic Country' look, the gnats work perfect!

...Standard nitro setup. When I do bursts like that, I bring the psi down to about 15, and the 'mix' is very very thin, mostly thinner, a little lacquer, a tiny dab of retarder, and the colors themselves. Usually Solar Lux when I'm mixing into Lacquer, but I've got others I use as well on occasion, but it's usually Solar Lux for lacquer tints. When you're doing a burst, you're not trying to 'build coat' if you know what I mean, the 'burst coats are truly paper thin. I use my regular pint spray gun too, not an airbrush. I hardly ever use my airbrushes anymore, except on special occasions for certain things.

The clear coats, OTOH, are thick, as thick as I can get them without runs or blushes.

The dyes are transparent dyes that mix into lacquer, if I want it opaqued and not transparent, then I add in a little dab of Lamp Black Tint's All pigment. :D

Drak, do you hang the bodies vertically when you spray? Or lay them down face-up and flip 'em?

With rattle-can poly (v. thin coming out) I found I was able to build up a thicker coat that wouldn't run if I laid them face-up, wait 30-40 minutes for tack-up, then flip and do the back-side. If I did get a run, it would always be a small one on the side where I could sand it down easily. But I could get some serious o-peel if I went too thick.

But I know nitro is different.

Allllllllllllllllllmost blew it tonight! :D:D

I decided to give the back a gentle orbital sand to start the levelling process before I shot on a few clear coats tonight, but within one minute, I found I had taken a little bit of the bursted edge off near the top horn. Didn't have as much clear built up as I thought.

Oh the HORROR!!!!!! :D (where's Gorecki?)

Now, THAT was a mistake of nature, it was supposed to happen.

Why?

Because I had done the back burst a few shades lighter than the front, it was a really delicate gradual burst, and since I sanded partially thru the burst, it had to be fixed.

I had kept the remainder of the burst color mix in a little airbrush jar, and so I just re-shot the affected areas.

But to make it blend so you couldn't tell I had done a repair, I had to darken the whole thing a -little- bit.

Now the back is the exact same shade as the front, just like it should have been from the start, and it now looks more attractive than it did in the first place. B)

So you see Gorecki, I am always on the lookout for those accidents of nature, and take advantage of them when I see them.

Green Boy was no accident of nature, it was a rough draft. B)

Allllllllllllllllllmost blew it tonight! 

Oh the HORROR!!!!!!  (where's Gorecki?)

Right here bud! B)

Now, THAT was a mistake of nature, it was supposed to happen.

Because I had done the back burst a few shades lighter than the front, it was a really delicate gradual burst, and since I sanded partially thru the burst, it had to be fixed.

:D

I had kept the remainder of the burst color mix in a little airbrush jar, and so I just re-shot the affected areas.

But to make it blend so you couldn't tell I had done a repair, I had to darken the whole thing a -little- bit.

:D

Now the back is the exact same shade as the front, just like it should have been from the start, and it now looks more attractive than it did in the first place. 

So you see Gorecki, I am always on the lookout for those accidents of nature, and take advantage of them when I see them.

Green Boy was no accident of nature, it was a rough draft.  :D

I shall never doubt you again. B)