Rackmount Multi Effects ....any Suggestions

citadelmusic

I'm looking for a multi effects rack mountable, midi controllable unit. The problem I'm having is on the four or five units I've messed w/ they have a 1/2 second or so "drop out" (in volume) immediately after preset switch via midi controller OR face plate controller. Does anyone have any suggestions on a unit that switches presets immediately w/ no hesitation, click or drop out?

P.S. I've tried every routing possibility w/ the same results. My preferred routing

is: guitar/sansamp PSA-1/looped to effect/back into PSA-1/out to amp.

Thanks

What effects do you need, and how many simultaneously? If it's a short list, it might be easier to use separate analog effects and a MIDI patchbay to switch them. Like Frank (kinda) mentioned, most DSP engines have to basically mute an ongoing process before starting a new one, so without dual processors, latency is almost unavoidable. Some of the more expensive gear is designed to crossfade between settings (I think they call it "seamless" switching), but it's not available on anything that i can afford. It's one of my pet peeves, and the reason all my effects are still on the floor at my feet.

Totally OT - how do you like your PSA-1? I love mine!! It'll never replace having a studio booth full of vintage tube amps, but until I can afford all that, it sure is great to jump from AC-30 sparkle to Bogner/MESA chug at the touch of a switch with no trace of digital artifacts in a single rack space. :D

That's actually why I recommend the Digitech 21xx's because the PSA 1 is so awesome, and the Digitech preamp is so lame. I use my 2101 while switching (and blending) between about 5 different preamps total. And I NEVER used the Digitech overdrive since day one. If he had asked for an all-in-one where he could use the preamp section, I wouldn't have recommended the Digitech.

I'm looking for the unit with similar capabilities these days. I'm thinking of getting Boss GT-Pro, cause it has two proccessors (COSM), and it shouldn't have the micro delay between switching... Also, the LINE 6's POD ProXT is also in cosideration, but suggestions from the people on this forum say that I should go for the Boss unit. The difference in price between these two is about 150$ (Line 6 is 700$, Boss 845$ on music123.com). If I'm about to spend all that money on a guitar proccessor, it better be w/out the annoying drop-out in signal that I've expirienced with previous version of POD and Behringer's V-Amp.

mullmuzzler | OSSMT

Edited by mullmuzzler

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks much guys for all your input. Sorry for the delayed reply. LOVEKRAFT, to answer your question on the stunning PSA-1 I've used nothing but this unit for recording and live applications for the last 10 years. For the money I've not been able to find another simulator w/ as much tube cloning versitility. Thanks again for the L-pad info.

As far as the effects go I think I'm gonna give the TC Electronic G major a whirl. I found a place in Austin that sells them for 350 new. Thats better than any used Ebay price I could find by comparrison. I'll let you guys know what it's like after I've had a chance to play w/ it.

Thanks all.

• 1 month later...

Alright now we're talking. I've got the G-Major and am extremely happy. By the way when I went back to the store where I was quoted 350 I was informed after he rang me up w/ a 450 total that he had made a mistake at his 5 day earier quote. In light of this I got one on ebay. Anywho there are no dropouts (just like Gemleggat mentioned) and it registers preset changes just as guickly and efficiantly as the PSA-1. This is only a mild testament to the capeabilities this thing has.

Thanks to everyone for all the input.