Inlay Cutting Techniques

guitar2005

I know people that cut abalam strips with a dremel, or other easy shaped patterns, but when it comes to details or other areas where there are tight curves to be cut, or joining pieces together, either piercing or some other technique, it's going to be unwielding in it's kerf size.

Translation- It won't work that well. Mainly due to it's kerf size.

C.Lavin

there's nothing stopping you from investing a few bucks in a jeweler's saw and blades. It's not cost prohibitive in the least bit. Why do it at all if you're not going to do it right? Jewelers saws can cut quickly and accurately with enough patience and practice.

I own both and have used both, mostly with metals and soft stone, and both tools can do an exceptional job. Each has their streangths. The main advantages of sawing by hand is the more sensitive feedback from the blade and the infinate variable speed. To me the scroll saw took much more practice and patience. If I had to choose one I would saw by hand till the cows come home but I'm not tossing my scroll saw, it's been a good friend.

Oh, I didn't even realize the "dremel saw" was a scroll saw. Well, that doesn't really change much. Obviously hand sawing is still the way to go unless you have a dead accurate setup and some nice jigs. Even so, you'd only be able to do as much as straight strips, radiused strips, and blocks with jigs. I find using a jeweler's saw to be very calming...well, except when I cut my thumb to the bone when the inlay breaks. That was unpleasant. Nothing a band-aid couldn't fix though. :D

+1 to all the comments here. Hand saw. My favorite blade of most materials is 02. Buy a bunch of blades, they break easy, especially when you're learning. They're cheap too, like a package of 12 is about $3.50.

Of course CAM is really the way to go if you can afford it.

A jig for a scroll saw? I guess it could be done but I've never thought of a scroll saw as anything other than a freehand tool.

With a good foot feed variable speed control it can be every bit as accurate as hand sawing. I used to do a lot of coin piercing (I still can't look at a quarter without seeing a pipe in george's mouth) and while I found hand sawing more relaxing sometimes production and arm fatigue demanded that I switch to the power saw.

Nothing will ever replace a good jewler's saw frame and every novice should start with one but don't rule out other tools.

one major problem with using a scroll saw is safely handeling the smaller pieces used in the average inlay...i've done a great deal of intarsia and a fair amount of inlay using wood as the inlay material. i made a zero clearance auxilliary table top and it works fine. i bought my jeweler's saw when i tried to use my setup to cut some thin sheet silver for an inlay and the blade would grab the silver and yank it out of my hand..beat the devil out of my fingers before i could move them.

like the guys say, jeweler's saws aren't very expensive and the control you gain along with the benefit of not losing fingers make them a worthwhile investment.

like the guys say, jeweler's saws aren't very expensive and the control you gain along with the benefit of not losing fingers make them a worthwhile investment.

A good German or Swiss saw frame is about $10. Spend the extra bucks on good blades. Years ago I got a "good deal" on a gross of cheap blades, I still have most of them around here somewhere. It didn't take long before I realised that the expensive blades were cheaper.

We'll see if you still say that the first time a blade breaks and several pieces of sharp, greasy metal imbed them selves into your flesh. :D

If you insist slow it way down and let the blade do the cutting, don't push at all. 30-60 strokes per minute is not too slow, often that's way too fast.

Give it a try if you like and then go buy a saw frame. :D

I use the dremel to cut out my inlays . Ouick and easy . i won't bother with the saw again unless it was very intricate .

i use spray adhesive to attach my pattern and used the dremel stone to do the final shapeing .

In my view if your cutting out your average inlays , Shark fins , blocks , bowties , sculls etc , the dremel wins hands down . I can knock out a set in easy 1/4 the time it takes by saw . You do waste a little bit more MOP but its really not a issue as the waste is nt really that great .

If you do use a dremel , wear goggles and a mask , MOP stinks when it gets hit hard with a dremel and there s lots of dust you don't want to breath in . And you gotta look after your eyes from the flying dust etc

If you ve got a dremel give it a go , use the stone type wheels etc . Dead easy even for a newbie . Quicker , no busted blades and good results .

• 1 month later...

I use my Dremel and fine burrs/high-speed cutters to do my RECON STONE (only the strong types) to cut out my inlays. Your hands get pretty close... but these bits a REALLY small and have low grit... so it's not TOO dangerous.. nothing bad yet.

Like this set:

http://www.widgetsupply.com/page/WS/PROD/d...urr-cutter/OD06

Chris

• 10 months later...

Ok - I'll use a non-powered tool to cut the inlays based on your feedback. Problem is finding the right tool.

Would something like this work?

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=...t=1,42884,42902

or this:

or this:

Thanks

:D