Padauk/mahogany Les Paul

I could get 2", but id be far too scared, this is 1.75" and it handeld it fine. Reason for not using it for the whole body is time really, it would take about an extra 30/45 min to scroll saw it out, the bandsaw is quick and easy. A router hasnt touched it yet, if far better with a power sander than i am at routing, even with a template, and i have a damn good set of sanders, belt, disk and spindal. These are all floor mounded industrial things.

As for the acuracy, im not that good, but having a well set up saw is half the battle.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

No real progress to speak of. I took alook at the body today only to find a dent in the rear. So for a nice little cover up i've decided upon EMG 81/85 as the batery compartment will be where the dent is. I think its quite clever. Also it is defenatly going to be a padauk top, i gave up on the holly. Hopefull the top wood will be here in a few weeks, as thats when i anticipate all my routing of the main body will be done, controle cavitys, wire paths ect.

Im really enjoying this so far. I'll update with pictures after the routing, that should be in 1-2weeks.

• 4 months later...

OK, Time to get this going again.

Updates so far.

HARDWARE.

I got all or my hardware in!

2 Ibanez 7string P'ups (they have a made in japan stamp on the base plate)

Chrome 7string hard tail, strat style, string-thru body

Chrome Locking nut

Sealed chrome tuners (unbranded but feel solid)

Wood

Body is cut and sanded to final dimensions, neck profile is cut, head stock still needs cut to final thickness and the shape cut out, fretboard needs the LED's installed.

The padauk top i was origionaly going to do has had to be scraped, i just cant get any for a good price. Now its just going to be trans-purple mahogany.

Things left to do, quite alot, i need to rout my neck joint in the body, it is going to extend all the way through the neck pickup cavity, nice and strong. Rout pickup cavitys. Glue fretboard to neck. Loacate bridge's exact possition and drill string through holes. Rout control cavity and drill control locations. Carve majority of neck. Glue on neck and carve the neck joint smooth.

I aim to have that done in the next 4-6 weeks.

Im going mad here, i cant do anything till i get back to school (thats where my tools are) and i cant go back to school because i have an infection in my ears, a realy bad infection too. I want to see this thing through and even if it takes another year it will be done. Eventualy...

Sorry to hear about the demise of the padauk idea, it is nice stuff really. But sounds like you're happy with the outcome.

I didn't realize this was going to be a 7; make sure you have enough width for the neck pocket, and that your cutaway didn't eat into where the neck will be.

Why not a 7-string TOM? And what's with the strat bridge, is it going to be a flat top?

I wasnt going to make it a 7 either, but then i got a great deal on the hard ware (all of it cost me a mere £60) so i thought what the hay, lets give it a go. The TOM idea, i would love to, but i want a 16" radius, all the TOM's i know of are 12". It will be a carved top, but the area around the bridge and pickups will be flat.

Im cutting the pocket using Myka's neck pocket jig, it will be bang on perfect if all goes well.

When on thing doesnt work out, just call it the design prosses and everythings cool again. hehe. Its just one of thoes things.

Just a little teaser pic till i can get more.

th_Image1094.jpg

Neck is in position but not glued on, fretboard is glued on decided to go the no inlay route as i couldnt get purple LED's localy.

Next step, rout control cavity. I havnt quite decided on my set up yet, im thinking 2vol, 2tone, 3-way toggle and a 2way toggle for the coil tap. I want to have it so that pickups can be split from the same switch (ie when its down both pickups are in humbucker mode and when its up both pickups are in single mode, if that makes sense). After that i will rout my PU cavitys and drill the wire rout.

More pics in about 2days. maby less, depends on my workload for the next week.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I kinda forgot about this thread. Glad you brought it up again.

Lots of progress to report. And i even have some pictures for you.

Neck is sanded smooth and im realy liking my sculpted heel, i can see why so many builders use them now (and i used to think of myself as a LP purist, big ugly heel and all) I radiusd the FB to 16" and have began to fret it, altho i ran out of fretwire so i have to order more.

Pics (click to enlarge)

th_Image1119.jpg

th_Image1118.jpg

th_Image1117.jpg

Body wise i have carved the top and preped it for finish as far as i can at this point. To carve it i used a 40grt sanding wheel in my angle grinder, it took next to no effort with quite good results. I was very pleased with how this turned out.

Heres pics of the body. (again, click to enlarge)

th_Image1120.jpg

th_Image1116.jpg

th_Image1115.jpg

The hardware i got from another member of these forums.

Body wise i have carved the top and preped it for finish as far as i can at this point. To carve it i used a 40grt sanding wheel in my angle grinder, it took next to no effort with quite good results. I was very pleased with how this turned out.

Heres pics of the body. (again, click to enlarge)

The hardware i got from another member of these forums.

I like the heel, I'm a big fan of that more comfortable joint.

Just a couple of questions regarding the body carve, in the second body pic you posted, (the shot from the side), it looks really uneven on the edge, is it really that off? And are you sure you've left enough space for the TOM/Stoptail bridge between the bridge pickup and where you've started the carve?

Its actualy just the light and my camera lens (im using my cell to take pics) Its even i assure you.

There is not going to be a TOM set up on this guitar but rather a strat type hardtail bridge with the saddles as high as they can go, im doing it liek that because A. i like my strings high off the body, B i already have the bridge and my calculations are for that, C. It will realy realy realy annoy my mate who hates strings being high. The nech is raised above the body by an extra 3mm or so, i will have the correct action.

I agree it looks off on the second pic and in the same spot on the third pic ? but who are we to argue ...you built the thing and have it in front of you so we have to take your word !

im not sure about a fender style bridge on a les paul? its going to look odd i.m.h.o? but again....lets wait and see....will certainly be interesting

Dan ;-)

"Because of the oil, padauk dust is serious bad stuff, it will never get out of your lungs. I use a real respirator (not just a dust mask) when working with it. It gets all over your tools & blades & bits, but it works & finishes really well."

I agree about the dust it's nasty stuff, and when cutting an exotic wood you haven't cut before a respirator is a good idea. I was using some leopard wood for a carved top on a guitar and the dust from that wood made me ill. My chest felt tight and was hacking for three days.

Anayway love the choice of alternative woods and padauk is a very nice looking wood i plan to use some as a thin stripe between some mohogany and curly maple. I think your overall look will be awsome and can't wait to see the finished guitar.

with so much oil in padauk it would be a good idea to use some type of coating on your tools like dry-cote or simaliar product.. This will help with friction and burning of the wood.

Do you have access to baltic birtch plywood? This is what i use for all of my templates. The stuff is super strong and will take a good fall off the work bench without breaking like plexi would.....

Good luck on the build I too share your enthusiasm for building guitars so build on...... :D