Designs You Want To Build

stevenhoneywell

and a crazy big picture. Possum you've been around here way long enough to know...

Havn't you seen all this mess with the rules lately?

I don't understand this thread. If you wan't to build a certin design just do it. Not sure I see the meaning in here. Mabye somone could tell me? :D:D

Edited by Godin SD

In that case here it is. link In ice burst

and the reason I can't build it is I don't think the headstock would hold up being made of just wood.

the maple neck through I'm building right now weighs in at about 4.2 pounds. About as much as a bronze fly.

Edited by Godin SD

I've always thought it would be fun to make a body in this fashion: make a two piece hollow body. However, not like you would think. I'm saying take a bookmatched piece that's 1 3/4" thick, and then before glueing the two pieces together, hollow them out from where you would be glueing them together. Like from the inside out, it'd take FOREVER since you'd probably have to do much of it by hand cause there's NO router that'd go that deep. But I think the out come of a hollowbody make without a top or a back would be cool.

Chris

I think it could be done with an overhead router where the cutting size of the bit is bigger than collet on the router.

That deffinitly sounds like a cool idea. I think it's been done before where they wrapped carbon fiber around a foam core and melted the foam out leaving a thin shell of carbon fiber.

carbving isint a spelllingnng mistakke.

It's jist funnie. :D

hollow bodies are complicated you have to have the exact shape of the body right for the sound to resonate right. ive studied Bendtto's book in detail. hence why ive never attempte one. the hollow body i want to buils is modeled after a scaled down fender starcaster from way back in the 70's and i have no idea how to check the acoustical properties.

That makes absolutely NO sense for PRS hollowbodies to be done this way, so there's NO way they do that. They use a different wood for the top and the back so it'd just be retarded for them NOT to hollow out the parts they want to before they glue the top on.

Regarding method.... you could get one of those dremel flex-shafts and really get down in there to hollow it out... that might work right. This would also be easier if done with a neck through, cause then it'd only be a semi hollow... so you wouldn't have to hollow as deep (only the wings) and wouldn't have to worry about the acoustic impact as much cause of the solid log down the center. OR... you could simply hollow them out like we were talking about before.... then when you glue them, insert a "tone block" that's about like.... 3-4" wide, and the whole length of the guitar that kinda holds the two hollow halves together and seals them off.... kinda like a giant rectangular prism dowel that runs the full length of the guitar. But you'd have to carve VERY exactly to work that... or cnc it.... lol (since it'd only have to be really accurate for like the first 1.5-2" on either side where the tone block would slide in.

Chris

carbving isint a spelllingnng mistakke.

It's jist funnie. :D

hollow bodies are complicated you have to have the exact shape of the body right for the sound to resonate right. ive studied Bendtto's book in detail. hence why ive never attempte one. the hollow body i want to buils is modeled after a scaled down fender starcaster from way back in the 70's and i have no idea how to check the acoustical properties.

Seriously, quit overthinking it. A chambered electric guitar is a completely different beast to an archtop, which is an acoustic instrument, and relies on the woods, the shape of the carve, etc. to produce sound. Even there, there's a good amount of 'mojo' involved, a ton of different opinions on how you can and/or can't tune tops, and so on. Body shapes can vary hugely, and still produce perfectly lovely sounding guitars. They'll affect the sound, sure, but this is of way, way, way more importance for true acosutic instruments, which doesn't seem to be what you're trying to build.

When it comes to electrics, chambered hollowbodies a la PRS/Gibson ES 335 and co, it's a whole different story. You mean the PRS Hollowbody, right, not the archtops? I think the archtops have proper bent sides/carved top and back (and look, IMO, quite dreadful), but they're still made to spec, not tuned. They're meant to be played as electric instruments, and are probably lousy acoustically. I mean, honestly, PRS's desigs are that shape because they look pretty that way, and were arch-toppified to appeal to rock/jazzers or something, and NOT designed that way because it's the ideal tone-shaping soundbox. Next to no research has been done on the acoustics of solidbody/chambered instruments, a fair amount (but still not monstrous amounts) on how acoustic guitars and archtops (and bowed stringed instruments) work, but again, conclusive, definitive models for this stuff simply do not exist. Many people use different theories, different models of how a guitar produces sound, and work accordingly, and each may produce a stunning isntrument. But back to electrics: this stuff simply doesn't matter enough to let it stop you from building.

I've yet to see a single convincing statement by anyone building hollowbodies regarding actually 'tuning' the chambers in any significant, non-marketing claptrap manner. Seriously, I've now built several chambered guitars, carved tops inside and out (and frankly, unless you're giving your guitar a spruce carved top, it's not going to have a whole load going on acoustically anyway), but with a blocked bridge, and pure electric guitars. The chambering does affect tone, but I won't even pretend to try and quantify the differences meaninfully. Is it different? Yes. To my mind, more alive, resonant, bit fuller in the mids, no loss of sustain, and plenty of weight loss. Can I accurately predict what 'tone shaping' is going to do to a semi-acoustic/chambered guitar, or how the shape and form is going to define its acoustic qualities? No. Best thing I can do, unscientific though it is, is select good pieces of wood, with good 'Bonk Tones' (tap it, you want it to ring, not thud, although there are, as always, exceptions), provide solid construction, a stiff neck (CF rods, sometimes lamination), and make it all look right, and you'll end up with a good guitar more often than not.

My advice: just build the damn thing. Worst that can happen is that you won't like how it sounds, and you get to try again. If you don't try, you don't learn anything. And if you're building an electric, by all means use building techniques gleaned from Benedetto, but remember you're not building an archtop, so nowhere near everything he states applies. Benedetto's also made 'solidbody' type chambered instruments. Look 'em up.

If the word "archtop" slipped in there somewhere, sorry. I AM looking to build a hollowbody (somewhere between a Myka Dragon fly, which doesn't have the log down the center... but still doe4sn't have bend sides, and an ES-335). It's all just for fun. I like the idea of hollowbodies because I too think they give that fuller sound (IMO) that you described above, and also because I think f-holes (or soundholes in general) make the instrument look elegant. The reason I brought up this build Idea is because I thought that a hollowbody (or you can call it a heavily chambered electric, I don't care) where you couldn't see how they hollowed it out (because there'd be no line to see where the top and back joined) would look cool, and few would suspect the innocent bookmatched seem to be the culpret for where it was hollowed from. Yes, in the end it would have been a rock-a-billy type, hollow guitar, NOT a bent sides acoustic archtop. But I still think it would be extremely elegant looking, thought provoking, and hopefully full sounding. That is why I would like to build one.

Chris

PS: For those of you who still don't quite understand.... the principal would be like taking two wood blocks (however... shaped like guitar wings) and glueing them together along the seems where they're open. Creating a hollow wooden guitar shape, and straping a neck to it.

PS: For those of you who still don't quite understand.... the principal would be like taking two wood blocks (however... shaped like guitar wings) and glueing them together along the seems where they're open. Creating a hollow wooden guitar shape, and straping a neck to it.

K. This is just a silly idea. It is possible with a long endmill on a manual mill or CNC. But why? Thats like drinking out of a cup backwards. There is no distinct advantage to doing it that way.

Less talk, more build! (silly thread in general)

Yeah, but the thread isn't about IMPOSSIBLE to build guitars, but merely guitars you want to build but will never get the time/equipment to. No one ever said this couldn't be done, just that it would be more difficult, but would also create a unique/different look. Why'd everyone have to blow my idea out of proportion... I just listed what I thought was a cool idea.

Chris

Yeah, but the thread isn't about IMPOSSIBLE to build guitars, but merely guitars you want to build but will never get the time/equipment to.  No one ever said this couldn't be done, just that it would be more difficult, but would also create a unique/different look. Why'd everyone have to blow my idea out of proportion... I just listed what I thought was a cool idea.

Chris

Sorry I feel bad, I didn't mean to stomp all over the idea. Its just once it was built it would be hard to tell it was done like that anyway. So just dosn't add much to the guitar.