Sickness

Corvus

Well, surfing into the web I just noticed an articule that make me scream!

It's about sicknnes produced about play guitar, this by Dr. Carlos Ruben Gomez

The mayority of guitar players not to know that can turn sick for playing guitar. This miss of conscience can produce several consequences just because the sickness that are product of little injuries and accumulatives (over-use injuries) can perturbate such to the practice of the instrument that the guitarplayer carrer can finish.

A new running Diffusion of these concepts are beginnig into the art world. An emblematic cases like Schumann and Teleman that suffered sickness of over-use are being considerated like an attention call.

:D

• 2 weeks later...

RSI.

i think what he is refering to is a type of recurring tendonitis that is caused from overuse.the best way to prevent this is by completely warming up before really shredding.also if you don't play for a while you need to get back into it slowly.but this usually happens to real shredders who think they can just pick up a guitar and start playing a million miles an hour without stretching first.i have stretching and warm up excercises i do before i really get after it.i have never had a problem.but i don't push it.

it is just like working out.you don't ever want to hit the weight set cold and try to max out.always warm up.

well i don't really think they are anything special but try this

i will add more but anyway you can create your own that's what i do.just come up with a riff that loops around to itself and just play it over and over.start slow and move faster as you are able.i play them pretty dang fast.

here is another one

they are really just for warm up.the last one you just start at the top of the neck,move down one fret and repeat.play all the way down the neck as far as you can reach.

One warmup/loosening up exercise I was given by a violin teacher for the fingers and wrist is to literally shake your hand about, loose wristed, for as long as you can cope, or until the fingers start to feel all 'floaty'. I f you try it, you will find out what I mean by that.

I usually forget to it, but hell, I ain't no shredder! Works for both hands too.

Back when I used to practice 8 to 10 hours a day.. I had this same problem and had pain in my wrist real bad.. but I read some information and started doing stretching exersices with my hand(wrist)... But I can tell you this much.. Later on I got into working out.. and I'll tell you.. Weight Lifting helps you out alot... doesn't make sense.. but I don't have any problems and I can play as much as I like... I guess that when you are lifting the weights you are building up your wrist muscle all the time.. since that's what supports the weights.... just my thoughts on the matter.. I'm not saying to lift weights now.. but it's something you might want to try if everything else fails...

Matt

i found the same thing to be true when i lift weights.but i think it increases joint mobility and blood flow to all muscle tissue,not just the ones you are specifically working out.try jogging and jumping rope.you will get the same benifits plus you will have the energy to burn shredding. :D

lol, i just couldn't make out his translation, i had a pretty good idea of what he was talking about there.

I used to worry about such problems, but i'm young so meh...... shred now, pay later.... lol no seriously i try to remember to warm up, but it's hard, i usualy just plam mute some metal songs to get my right hand going, then run up and down some neck long sweeps to get the left moving, and i actually ach if i try and go to fast to soon, but once i get going!!!!!! mmmmm shredderiffic!!!!!

speed trick.... the 1-2-3-4 trick is always anoying to make ur parents listen to, u play those 4 frets alternate picking on each string, then 2-3-4-5, 3-4-5-6, so on so forth allllllll the way up the fret board, then go backwards all the way back 24-23-22-21, 23-22-21-20...... by the time u get back to the nut, ur warmed up. do it for 40 mins and u'll notice immediate speed improvements. all it's doing is sinking ur 2 hands up which u need to sound good when ur trying to do a vai, or gilbert run... another one is alternate pick a sweep scale as fast as u can (starting slow) and try to control urself then gradualy allow ur hands to move faster, and try not to get into sweeping for as long as possible...

when i was in high school and i did alot of weights for sports teams, i found it made my forarms waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to tight and i couldn't play for ours after working out (yes i stretched before and after practices) but that's just me... i like to have loose forearms when playing.

yes i do that 1234 run myself.it does help with right and left hand.

one tip on lifting those weights derek....don't grab the bar so tight.that is what stiffens up the fore arms.and finish by jumping rope.that will loosen them back up.and i think reps help more than maxing out.

one tip on lifting those weights derek....don't grab the bar so tight.that is what stiffens up the fore arms.and finish by jumping rope.that will loosen them back up.and i think reps help more than maxing out.

i was a competitive canoe paddler for 5 years (please hold all jokes, yes i'm canadian!), not gripping the paddle wasn't really an option... and weights, well... canada games coachs are kinda pretty set in their ways, when it's heavy weights day, it's heavy weights day :D by the end of practices i usualy didn't have much energy left to start skipping, but i'll keep it in mind B)

Yeah, right now I'm goin' through some heavy wrist problems... One night, I overexerted my wrist and I've had pains in my wrist ever since... This was about five months ago... The pain is a lot better but I still feel discomfort all day long and pain at work and while playing guitar sometimes (more times than not) It sucks bad... I'm taking physical therapy now and I have to wear this wrist brace when I go to bed and sometimes during the day... I've had x-rays and nerve tests done, which luckily all came out fine... But I might have tendonitis... I thought it might have been Carpal Tunnel Syndrome which is REALLY, REALLY bad for people who play ANY instrument... This thing can end your career... and it has for some people... I've been really depressed and hella worried about this sh*t... I REALLY hope it's not Carpal Tunnel Syndrome... but my nerve test came out fine so the doctor says it's tendonitis... Hopefully the physical therapy will help 'cause I'll f*cking die if I can't play guitar... All I ever wanted to do was play guitar and now I might be stripped of that dream all 'cause of ONE night of overexerting my wrist!

Please people... WARM UP and STOP playing when you start to feel pain! Also, rest every so oft when practicing or playing... It's normal to feel some discomfort while playing but STOP when it hurts, people... I didn't and look at me now... It hurt like hell and I kept playing like a d*ck 'cause I wanted to finish recording something... TRUST ME... Read up on CTS if you want... It's no joke... Now I gotta worry about my wrist tendonitis... and tendonitis can't always be cured either... I'm depressed as all hell...

StarChild

try not to worry.many proffesional musicians have had to learn to play with this problem.as you say,warm up.also make sure you have the proper action and use lighter guage strings and a shorter scale(24 3/4 is much easier on your muscles and tendons as the strings are slacker)

i recently have switched to a 25" scale and my hands are thanking me for it.

i've been noticing on my tele (25.5" scale) that it's kinda hard to do sweeps or chord on the first 7 frets just cause i have to twist my wrist to get the right hand angle... i've been thinking about building a 24" or possibly smaller scale guitar